• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Driver Advice

Yeah, I went out yesterday to basically play in the wind to see what certain discs flew like in 25mph+ winds. I had a new 175gr DX Wraith, Blizzard Waith, Blizzard Destroyer, !75gr Star Starfire, 175Gr Star Banshee. The DX Wraith and the Starfire were the most controllable, just had to release them on the appropriate angle given the wind direction. The Blizzards were pretty worthless overall in that kind of wind but made for some fun watching though.

Wished I had brought my 175gr Star Orc, and my other two Star and Pro 175gr Wraiths with me to test out. Maybe next windy day.

Would like to check out a PD and maybe an Avenger, have to put those on my want lists.

My bag is very out of date in my profile. Haven't posted a lot. Firebirds are great in wind, just my D is about equal to a T-Bird. I use the 150 for Thumbers. I have a Champ Viking too. Damn I need to take all the crap I've got stored and revisit them.

Plastic can really change PD stability. I've seen a new C-PD fly like a Firebird and beat into a Eagle, and I've seen a fairly new G*PD with Monarch stability.

Plastic can really change PD stability. I've seen a new C-PD fly like a Firebird and beat into a Eagle, and I've seen a fairly new G*PD with Monarch stability.

^exactly why I throw volt/tesla. Always solid HSS and reliable LSS in all conditions.

there is no magical disc to throw in the wind-- check out Mastering The Wind:

http://discraft.com/res_wind06_p1.html
res_wind06_fig1l.gif

so discraft is good for something ;)

Lots of them... Volt and PD are 2 of my personal favorites.

my thoughts exactly. teebird3 maybe. For windy days i usually go with a teebird because when the wind picks up, i'll take the accuracy over distance and then rely on my approach game. But on big drives off the tee I'll reach for the volt. Been sampling a stag as well but not long enough to speak on.

I want this to be my distance driver regardless of wind conditions, like the TBird. It flies the same regardless. Blizzard is crap I'm taking it out if my bag.

Empty.

Also what has happened with my blizzard discs is I hold back, I'm afraid to pull too hard cuz it might turn over. Maybe my technique and strength improved. I want something I can pull hard and not worry about flipping. I use a Dx Valk for Anny's and it works well.

Has anyone thrown a Thunderbird? Would that give me a little more D?

We had some serious wind the last few days. It was the first good one to test out my "wind fighters" so throwing all these into a strong head wind, here's what I can up with.

Felon: didn't miss a beat, very OS flight
Enforcer: same thing
F1: straightened out a bit, and got tossed when it slowed down, just slightly. I ended up using this a lot that day.
Banshee: same thing
Thunderbird: straightened out quite a bit, still was very stable, ended up being my best distance thrower against the wind.

Throwing with the wind: Sidewinder.

Now I haven't thrown a PD but ever since I've been throwing the Thunderbird, and loving it. I've wanted one. The general consensus I have noticed is the PD and TH are very very similar, with the PD being the better disc.