• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driver Help

HeyKidMove

Bogey Member
Vitals:
Years playing/experience: Occasionally for 7, but more frequently the last 2
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, RHFH about 50/50-Working to become predominately RHBH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Anode: 200/230'; Roc3: 240/260'; Eagle: 290/320'

Optional:
Sex: M
Other sport proficiencies: Baseball

Bag:

Drivers:
171 Star Eagle X, (fairly new) - main driver
? Star TL, (used but still stable) - straight shots
168 Pro Leopard, (new, understable) - annys
170 Star TeeRex- Hyzers, forehand driver

Also have Star Wraith, Star Tern, Star Vulcan, D3-all around 170, Champ Beast (175, new) - very stable, needs beat in

Mids:
180 Roc3, (new) - main mid
172 Champ Shark (used) - annys, tomahawks
175 Star Mako (fairly new) - dead straight

Putters:
172 Proton Anode-Drive
174 Ecliple Soft Anode-Putting

I am slowly but surely improving my backhand driving ability. I used to throw all forehand except for putting. After reading some on here, I realized that I jumped into high speed drivers WAY too soon. I am now going to start only throwing lower speed drivers in order to work on my form after finding that I was not throwing distance drivers any further than my fairways. Any suggestions for adding lower speed to my bag? Right now I plan to not throw anything faster than the Beast (rarely). I really like the feel of MVP discs and was thinking about picking up a couple of their drivers (I think they are speed 9 so hopefully won't overlap with my current setup). I was also thinking about picking up a Champ TeeBird. Anything else I should look into?

Thanks for the help!

A nice all around main driver for all these situations...hmmm. MAX DISTANCE: Innova Valkyrie, Discraft Wildcat, Discraft XL, DGA Rogue. All these don't have a super wide rim, they are easy to grip and controlled and easy release. FAIRWAY: Discraft Stalker, Discraft Zombee MIDRANGE: Ile nnova Mako, Discraft Meteor PUTTER: Prodigy D3

These are all nice controllable discs. I use most of them. I prefer non-wide rims, even though I throw a Nuke, Archon, Beast sometimes.

I would get some sort of S/OS putter. If you like MVP, the Ion is a great stable putter that'll compliment your Annode great off the tee and in the circle. Zone would be good if you want something with more beef/fades harder but can get similar distance. Other than that the only thing I'd say is maybe get an US mid, meteor or comet (though a comet will probably overlap with your mako some) or an underworld.

MVP drivers would work, but if you were going to get any speed 9's to throw I'd get a sidewinder before anything else. IMO it's one of the best discs around for building form/experience for the higher speed drivers. Doesn't need power beyond what you give your fairways, but it can take a lot while teaching you how to hyzer flip with fast stuff exceptionally well. Besides that it's really just feel.

Don't worry much about high speed stuff, you've got plenty of good discs for it already. Wraith, Tern, Beast, and once you've got the power for it Teerex are all good or great big distance discs.

^^^ agreed get an U.S. mid and driver. maybe a meteor, and if you like MVP you could look at an AMP. (similar to sidewinder i.m.o. ) I would worry about that pro Leo beating in and changing flight patterns too much.

Last edited:
Sorry, meant Westside Tursas for the US mid, not underworld (more US fairway). My bad, I always mix those two up.