• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Driver question.

If you like trilogy discs you might try a Fury. The most used disc in my bag.:)

TeeBirds and Valks are too close for me.

I recommend a Starfire-L

The Escape is just slightly more stable than a Valk with more glide. It will be perfect for you.

I may be missing something or have weird discs but my 171 star Valk is more stable than my 169 moonshine escape. But I do LOVE my escape for the long (for me ~300-350) straight shots. I can hyper flip it easily or throw flat with a nice S curve. It may be a mental thing but I can't turn my Valk to save my life. Only way to get an S is to throw on a bit of an anhyzer.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks for all the suggestions. Next week I may try to pick up one or two of the options mentioned. I may venture to the next closest pias to check what they have this weekend. I hear they have a better selection at that location.

Also, tried a valk. It was pretty good. It felt a little off in my hand, but I only threw it a couple times after work. Gonna try and borrow it for a round to really see if I like it. Innova stuff is hit or miss with me. Some discs I love, teebird and roc, others I have tried just don't feel right to hold. Valk was somewhere in the middle, not uncomfortable, but also not that "oh yeah I'm gonna throw this a mile" feeling either.

If you don't love the Valk then consider a star or Gstar Sidewinder. I threw a fresh Gstar recently and it's hyzer flip to huge glide...enough turn to get massive distance but it doesn't burn out if you're clean. I've thrown a beat star Sidewinder that flew the same way. Fresh stars seem straighter. Champ wasn't really understable as fresh....if you have arm speed it seems kind of like a Saint.

If someone is throwing 325-375' a mellow Sidewinder is some of the easiest distance I've seen...keeping in mind you're sacrificing a bit of control compared to a stable/OS disc.

I'm not a Sidewinder expert at all, but every one I've thrown has been surprisingly controllable for what it does, but there is a difference in plastics and wear for sure.

Ok, so I went to a further off play it again yesterday just to check it out. I ended up leaving with a 171 opto River to replace one I lost (168 opto), and a "used" 173 VIP westside king, that looked brand new.

I grabbed the king only because it was a great deal, $6 for a 9.5-10/10 used disc. When I went to throw it today I found it to be similar to the destroyer I usually use for overstate shots. I can't throw the destroyer to its full potential, so I assumed being faster the king would perform around the same. I was was off. I parked 3 holes within 15 feet, all about 320-330'! On an open hole with a little left to right tailwind I actually got about 345'. I like that king. It held flat and straight, and fought the wind pretty well.

I realize that the king will go quite a bit further, but it added about 20-40 feet for me on a few holes over my teebird. It flew really nice and straight with a pretty hard and predictable fade. It might be "too fast" for my arm right now, but damn is it fun to throw. I think I'll work with this disc a little.

On a side note, the river I got has a pop top and is well more stable than my old one. I couldn't get the s-flight my old one excelled at, and it wasn't gliding well for me today. My old one was definitely more beat than this one, so that probably has something to do with it. I might air it out I. A parking lot a few times to work the mold mark off the rim.

I may be missing something or have weird discs but my 171 star Valk is more stable than my 169 moonshine escape. But I do LOVE my escape for the long (for me ~300-350) straight shots. I can hyper flip it easily or throw flat with a nice S curve. It may be a mental thing but I can't turn my Valk to save my life. Only way to get an S is to throw on a bit of an anhyzer.

Am I missing something here?

Not necessarily. I have a few Valks in different plastics, and some are a little bit more stable than others (beyond differences of plastic). You may just have a Star Valk that came out of the mold a bit more stable than most. If you keep using it and it beats in to where you like it, it'll be a beautiful thing.