• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving Range

jnogalski.jr

Hello,

I am contemplating creating a disc golf driving range. I would like to know if this is something that would be of interest in the sport.
If so what types of discs you would want to see, and what price would you pay?

I cannot in my life recall seeing a facility that had just a single soccer field. It is usually 4 or 6 here.

With that said, the thing about soccer fields is that people play soccer on them. So you basically need to take off work to use one for field practice.

As a player with hundreds of discs and plenty of open fields and football fields within walking distance, I would not use such a facility.

I started playing this year. The one thing related to the OP is getting a chance to throw a variety of discs. All the different brands, speeds, plastics etc.

Now I'm less focused on that as I've realized it would have been worthless because like most newbs my form was terrible and I've still got a lot to work on.

If you had a massive inventory of newish discs, it might be worth a few bucks to visit such a place. But you'd need multiples of each disc as well.

I want to throw a variety of Buzz's. What here is one? So I throw it in your field and then run to the other end and throw it back? Or sorry, someone else checked out all the mids...want to try some 14 speed drivers?

Hypothetical $5 says this is another new user to come on here, post a question about a "business idea" and never enter this thread again. Been a few of those people on here now.....

They'd be even worse if they bumped ancient marketplace fsot threads too.

As a player with hundreds of discs and plenty of open fields and football fields within walking distance, I would not use such a facility.

Ford Field in west dearborn still to this day is one of my favorite places to throw frisbees at. I was just there not long ago enjoying the scenery and launching discs from atop the hill towards the Rouge.

My home course (Oregon Park) has a driving range which is probably 1,000' from front to back. It's free and rarely gets used (I use it from time to time :thmbup:). It seems most people would rather just play and try to improve on the course.

Ford Field in west dearborn still to this day is one of my favorite places to throw frisbees at. I was just there not long ago enjoying the scenery and launching discs from atop the hill towards the Rouge.

Certainly part of my stomping grounds and my childhood sledding hill. I don't get out there to throw much. I have a half dozen fields within walking distance, while I would have to hop on a bike to get down to Ford Field. It is nice to have a hill to practice on though, for sure. Bonus...there is rarely anyone there most of the year.

Thank you all for the responses.
My expectation is to have many discs in different molds.
This would allow golfers to purchase a "bucket" of 10 discs or more all of the same mold throw them all to practice mechanics or a specific shot shape.
I understand that everyone would have access to fields but you would have to chase the discs yourself. That would end up as the worst game of fetch instead of a productive practice.
Not decided how much time I want to put into this if the sport is not ready yet. I have only been playing for less than a year so I wanted to see what veteran disc golfers thought about advancing the sport.

Hello,

I am contemplating creating a disc golf driving range. I would like to know if this is something that would be of interest in the sport.
If so what types of discs you would want to see, and what price would you pay?

This could actually work but only in the winter time in the Northern part of the US when it's cold AF out and snow is down/most people don't wanna play outside. Come January I'd actually like/enjoy/use an indoor training facility. If you had nets up it wouldn't even have to be that big, something like an indoor soccer facility would be cool. Have some baskets out too.

This wouldn't even be something you'd necessarily have to create. It could be as simple as renting an existing indoor facility and bringing the nets/baskets and charging people a fee to cover your costs and make some money. You could probably create some type of field events/putting events too.