• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving Rituals

I'm right handed, always spin the disc on my left middle finger before throwing. Sometimes just for a second, sometimes longer if I'm debating throwing a different disc or it's a really tough shot to execute.

I didn't know I was doing it, but on video I've seen that while I'm lining up my drive and staring down the fairway, I'll make a waving or flapping motion with the disc in my right hand, like I'm fanning something.

I didn't know I was doing it, but on video I've seen that while I'm lining up my drive and staring down the fairway, I'll make a waving or flapping motion with the disc in my right hand, like I'm fanning something.

The ol fanning the fart move.

Allot of people, mainly pros (don't see many chuckers doing it), do that move. I cannot stand it for some reason it makes me upset lol

I've seen the waving-thing many times, and always assumed it was to dry the throwing hand. I tried it once, and it works pretty well. Or did I just stumble into something? Either way...

I also typically do a little spinning on the middle finger of my right (throwing) hand as I wait to get on the tee. Once there, I find my line, standing pretty still, and tend to turn the disc several times, using my left to move it around in circles until it "feels" right, whatever that means. Then, most crucially, I take a deep breath and exhale before I start my run-up.

"T-minus whenever it feels right."

I basically do a much of vaguely justifiable movements tapping the disc on my leg, drying my hand(wether it needs it or not) on my pants, etc. like Nomar Garciaparra until I finally decide that it's okay to throw the shot.

Nomar! (I always thought his birth certificate was read backwards or something. Like, his name was supposed to be Ramon.)

And I love the term "vaguely justifiable." I shall incorporate it into my vernacular, with proper credit given. :thumbup:

Sanctioned tournaments, on a clutch drive, I might do a slowed down version of my intended throw à la James Conrad. Beered up doubles rounds, I'm more à la James Brown.
giphy.gif

Stepping up with confidence and throwing right into the closest tree.

Line it up, deep breath, throw. Too much thinking and concentrating and I fudge it all up. same with my putting.

Lick my fingers, then wipe them on my pants/shorts. Repeat if necessary to achieve proper grip
Throw disc
Say or yell "Really, Eric you (expletive correlated in vulgarity with the foulness of the throw) dumbass"

Last edited:
What is your tee-off quirk? Any specific rituals that you have developed before you crush a drive?

I'll let you know as soon as I crush a drive. :|

I don't think I do much of anything special but apparently I appear very cool, calm, and collected because I've gotten a few comments about how quickly tee off and smoothness.

I might wave my hand dry with the disc or wipe my hand on some clothing and if it's windy I'll toss up some leaves or hold my hand up to gauge the wind's direction better. But when it's time to drive I already know what I want to do and I just try to execute it.