• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

drk_evns Backhand Form Thread

I like reading other peoples form threads, because I can see them struggling with the same stuff I am, and see what breakthroughs they had to move on to the next plateau. This thread is really inspiring. Question for the OP - on 6/19 you posted a vid of your form and you were still struggling with some issues, somewhat similar to some things I'm struggling with... Awkward "jackknife" brace, some head tilting stuff, out of balance, etc. There was some good dialogue for 2 or 3 days...then you came back 3 months later and posted one of the most silky smooth backhands I've ever seen...in the sand no less. So my question is - what happened in that three months. All you really said is you hadn't had a chance to throw much and had to cancel some tourneys...then posted a video of your now awesome form. Can you share what your journey was like over those 3 months?

I like reading other peoples form threads, because I can see them struggling with the same stuff I am, and see what breakthroughs they had to move on to the next plateau. This thread is really inspiring. Question for the OP - on 6/19 you posted a vid of your form and you were still struggling with some issues, somewhat similar to some things I'm struggling with... Awkward "jackknife" brace, some head tilting stuff, out of balance, etc. There was some good dialogue for 2 or 3 days...then you came back 3 months later and posted one of the most silky smooth backhands I've ever seen...in the sand no less. So my question is - what happened in that three months. All you really said is you hadn't had a chance to throw much and had to cancel some tourneys...then posted a video of your now awesome form. Can you share what your journey was like over those 3 months?

He was obviously mastering spin and throw.

To be honest it's hard to pinpoint a linear progression and say "well I fixed X first and then started working on Y, then I fixed Y and moved on to Z." It's a bunch of waves out of sync where new movements and old habits come and go.

I can, however, tell you the few things I was missing and what really got me to where I am now.

1. ****ing rounding. It's one of those obvious things that takes a lot of work. The hit happens way out in front of where I would say it feels powerful when I started. Your arm has to sort of shoot forward ahead of you and that moment was hard for me to pin down for a long time. Now that I have it, it's easy for me to fix when it comes back (which happens very infrequently now, mostly when I'm fatigued). ALSO, the hit happens so much faster when you move it forward and I can see why the head placement doesn't really matter now. If you're worried about head down too much then I expect you're rounding/getting caught behind your shoulder in some way.

2. Balance. I was leaning too far back in backswing as many "ams" do when they first start throwing. That was also hard to break. I realized in order to really be in balance I needed to feel out of balance falling towards the target. Your plant leg shoots over and catches you, but there was some instinct in me that wanted to lean back further to feel in balance. I assume that's why SW22 talks/posts about dynamic balance (skiier image).

3. Rocking the hips. This concept is what really helped me understand the lateral hip movement and how it works, which is why I wrote the thread about it.

He was obviously mastering spin and throw.

I joined Scientology instead.

...The hit happens way out in front of where I would say it feels powerful when I started..

Is this why I get so much distance when I grip-lock?

Although I don't grip-lock all the time, the distance is so noticeable that it makes me wonder if I'm trying to start the hit too soon, and what to do to fix it.

Is this why I get so much distance when I grip-lock?

Although I don't grip-lock all the time, the distance is so noticeable that it makes me wonder if I'm trying to start the hit too soon, and what to do to fix it.

Yes, likely.

Treat your arm more like a whip that you're throwing forward, as opposed to using your arm muscles to power the disc. Don't stagger too much.

The only muscle in my arm that's actively working is my shoulder resisting collapse as move my hips forward into the power pocket. From there I explode outward with my arm.

To be honest it's hard to pinpoint a linear progression and say "well I fixed X first and then started working on Y, then I fixed Y and moved on to Z." It's a bunch of waves out of sync where new movements and old habits come and go.

I can, however, tell you the few things I was missing and what really got me to where I am now.

1. ****ing rounding. It's one of those obvious things that takes a lot of work. The hit happens way out in front of where I would say it feels powerful when I started. Your arm has to sort of shoot forward ahead of you and that moment was hard for me to pin down for a long time. Now that I have it, it's easy for me to fix when it comes back (which happens very infrequently now, mostly when I'm fatigued). ALSO, the hit happens so much faster when you move it forward and I can see why the head placement doesn't really matter now. If you're worried about head down too much then I expect you're rounding/getting caught behind your shoulder in some way.

2. Balance. I was leaning too far back in backswing as many "ams" do when they first start throwing. That was also hard to break. I realized in order to really be in balance I needed to feel out of balance falling towards the target. Your plant leg shoots over and catches you, but there was some instinct in me that wanted to lean back further to feel in balance. I assume that's why SW22 talks/posts about dynamic balance (skiier image).

3. Rocking the hips. This concept is what really helped me understand the lateral hip movement and how it works, which is why I wrote the thread about it.

I joined Scientology instead.

Nice man that is a good list. Feel like reaching/swinging out wider in the backswing has helped my rounding.

Combing 2 and 3 has been the biggest challenge for me, but when I get it right I absolutely crush the disc lol. The whole move of falling targetward, bracing and then thrusting that hip happens really quick and wasn't a part of my throw at all until I discovered dgcr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice man that is a good list. Feel like reaching/swinging out wider in the backswing has helped my rounding.

Yes that helps but its the first half of the equation. The second half is actually getting your elbow forward which is the step I struggled with for a long time.

Yes that helps but its the first half of the equation. The second half is actually getting your elbow forward which is the step I struggled with for a long time.

The more I learn about rounding, the more I discover I'm a chronic rounder(among other things). I think the elbow forward feeling is the feeling you get doing the Beto drill, or Blake T's hammer pounds. Those drills are kind of outdated/not recommended much. Are there any other drills you did to fix your rounding issues? Seems like just going slow is helping but I want all the drills lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts