• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Drone

I think Z is more OS than Cryztal, though I've thrown one of each. I bagged a Ledgestone (2015) Ti FLX for a while as well, fairly similar to Big Z and Cryztal in my experience.

Overall, the Drone to me is a little like a Pred. Very beefy and basically no turn, but with impressive glide for that much beef. Buzzz OS is a mold I'm less familiar with, but it's more like a Firebird. In other words, beef without the glide. I eagerly await the McBeth thrown Drone.

I've only ever thrown my ESP-FLX drone and it's beef for sure! More OS than a Z hornet, and similar stability to an MVP resistor but slower. It's basically if a zone had a big bead that glides a bit more (more distance potential).

Some people don't like the feel in hand because it's built like a brick sh*t house. But you can really lay into them and trust it.

It's basically if a zone had a big bead that glides a bit more (more distance potential).

False on the bead, but otherwise that's a really good description of a Drone and also exactly why I haven't bagged one for a while. The amount of glide makes it really tough for me to control in a crosswind on super windy days, so I found myself either discing down to the Zone or up to a Felon for overstable duties in wind. And when it's not windy, It's just not the type of flight that I prefer to throw for most shots.

The Drone is a solid mold for sure, and I'd consider bagging it if I could only carry one super OS disc. But I already carry two Zones and at least one Felon at all times, so the Drone collects dust for me.

Oh my bad folks! I Haven't handled mine in awhile. I think it was how huge / stacked the rim is compared the zone that got me thinking that. I like the drone, but it's a weird tweener where the zone can do everything it does but with more consistency. And it's far easier to Disc up to a fairway (firebird, felon, predator, etc) at that point.

My MVP resistor stole the drone spot in my bag. Anything shorter is for the zone.

Keeping it in the Discraft family, I love the DGA Quake for this type of mid. Flat, beefy and good glide. It truly is a longer, beefier Zone.

I found a CryZtal FLX Drone in mint condition from my collection. I threw it indoors today and was surprised that it wasn't that beefy. No turn whatsoever, but the flight pattern was quite similar to my Ledgestone 2015 ESP Wasps, whole lotta shorter of course. Are all of these like this? I might sell this one since I don't really need it.

Any word on ESP Drones? IIRC there was one in Mcbeth's ITB video...

The drone is Prez' tour series disc. Definitely pick a few up to support an awesome up and coming player. :thmbup::hfive:

The drone is Prez' tour series disc. Definitely pick a few up to support an awesome up and coming player. :thmbup::hfive:

...in ESP? It's the only plastic Drone I'll buy at this point in my life.

I'll admit that Paul's recent ITB prompted me to dust of my Z Drone. Glad I held on to it. It's such good mold. I would really like to see it made in Z again or Ti.

I like it more than the BuzzzOS. The Drone seems a touch slower & not as dumpy as the BOS. The rim on the Drone is more comfortable too FH & BH.

I'll admit that Paul's recent ITB prompted me to dust of my Z Drone. Glad I held on to it. It's such good mold. I would really like to see it made in Z again or Ti.

I like it more than the BuzzzOS. The Drone seems a touch slower & not as dumpy as the BOS. The rim on the Drone is more comfortable too FH & BH.

Interesting, you feel like it's more comfy for FH/BH? I don't bag them personally but the BOS has what I consider to be a top tier shape for comfort. Whereas any drone I've touched in a shop feels wonky. :confused:

Happy it works for you, though. Grip comfort is so subjective

Not much drone talk it appears. I found a brand new TI drone with GLO stamp in the used bin at PIAG for $8.99. Currently bag a VIP harp as my only OS mid/putter. Is there anything I could expect a drone to do that a VIP harp doesn't? I have about 330 feet of power

Last edited:
Not much drone talk it appears. I found a brand new TI drone with GLO stamp in the used bin at PIAG for $8.99. Currently bag a VIP harp as my only OS mid/putter. Is there anything I could expect a drone to do that a VIP harp doesn't? I have about 330 feet of power

A Drone is a bit faster than a Harp, and has more glide. So, expect it to get more distance.
Also, some Drones will exhibit a little bit of high speed turn if thrown hard, and then fade back strongly when it slows down.

The pro Andrew Presnell throws Drones extensively. He has some that have been broken in to the point where they fly quite straight for him.

Drones always seem to be placed pretty near the extreme overstable end of the stability spectrum on disc charts, like for instance on the Marshall St Disc Golf Flight Guide. But, I've tried out some Drones and some Buzzz OS, and consider the Buzzz OS to be more overstable than a typical Drone.

If your Drone is in Ti, is it one of those disappears-in-the-woods colors that Discraft was known for producing several years ago?

https://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/flightguide

Last edited:

I've bagged a Drone and a Zone (not a Harp obviously but close). Both molds are hogs but a Drone actually has some dome and glide to it. I think if you're a forehand dominant player, or have a cannon for an arm, or are a torque monkey, then you'd find value in bagging both. I am none of those things, and just don't need to fill the gap between my Zones and Felon. 95% of the time that a Drone would be the perfect disc for a shot, I can still execute it with either a powered up Zone, or Lucid-X Emac on hyzer, or powered down Getaway, or Felon on a flex.

The question of whether you will like the Drone comes down to what you mean by 330' of power. If that is your driver distance, then you and I are in the same ballpark and I think you'll find the Drone redundant. If 330' is your Harp distance though, then the Drone will likely fly differently enough to be a worthy addition.

I've bagged a Drone and a Zone (not a Harp obviously but close). Both molds are hogs but a Drone actually has some dome and glide to it. I think if you're a forehand dominant player, or have a cannon for an arm, or are a torque monkey, then you'd find value in bagging both. I am none of those things, and just don't need to fill the gap between my Zones and Felon. 95% of the time that a Drone would be the perfect disc for a shot, I can still execute it with either a powered up Zone, or Lucid-X Emac on hyzer, or powered down Getaway, or Felon on a flex.

The question of whether you will like the Drone comes down to what you mean by 330' of power. If that is your driver distance, then you and I are in the same ballpark and I think you'll find the Drone redundant. If 330' is your Harp distance though, then the Drone will likely fly differently enough to be a worthy addition.

Thanks for the well thought out response. My 330 of power is dx eagle hyzer flip, definitely can't get a harp out that far. I came to the same conclusion as you suggested, I don't need a disc between my VIP harp and whatever utility driver I'm bagging

I picked up a Presnell Z Drone on eBay after my LucidX Verdict started to turn. The Drone glides much further than I expected. My first round with it today after covid - overshot every throw on approaches where I normally flick a Harp. Also the Drone flies straighter for a longer portion of the flight than I expected with that +1 turn rating.

Jury is still out. BUT I haven't needed a 250' hyzer shot into a headwind yet (which was why I bought it).

Old man here. My mids that I bag are from under to over:
Comet Z
Buzzz Esp Flx
Wasp Esp Flx
Drone Esp Flx
The Drone is used for 150ft and in when there is substantial wind. I trust it completely to hyzer in and dive.
Since I can't find the FLX Drones any more, what readily available disc(any brand) would fly comparatively?

Latest posts