• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] 'Dumpy' Approach Disc?

PROXY > PURE - no bias - I owned 3 proxy's and 3 pures with different plastics all in the 170's - The Proxy just IS BETTER. I know a lot of pure throwers out there, that's fine, whatever works for you, but ive found the proxy to feel better, fly straighter, all around outperform the Pure.

Not for me, and I carry two Envy's. There is no better approach disc than a Pure.

Not for me, and I carry two Envy's. There is no better approach disc than a Pure.

I do still like the disc - I had an Opto that turned way too much too early and a Goldline that was harsh flashing and couldn't handly any torque or wind. Maybe I got unlucky. who knows, I just know I found what I was looking for in the Proxy and the Atom - But the reason I got interested in it was a buddy on the course uses them and I asked to try it out on a hole and really liked it - he had a worn in opto and it was smooth. So. Yeah good disc, just personally found better consistency and feel in the others - so, its all good :p:hfive:

I do still like the disc - I had an Opto that turned way too much too early and a Goldline that was harsh flashing and couldn't handly any torque or wind. Maybe I got unlucky. who knows, I just know I found what I was looking for in the Proxy and the Atom - But the reason I got interested in it was a buddy on the course uses them and I asked to try it out on a hole and really liked it - he had a worn in opto and it was smooth. So. Yeah good disc, just personally found better consistency and feel in the others - so, its all good :p:hfive:

My Gold Line Pure also has very bad flashing, so you're not alone in that. My Pures (GL, Opto, Zero Hard) all fly very well, though.

The pure is finnicky. I am currently throwing the out as my main throwing putter. And I am on the hunt for something more consistent for me, also something more cycleable. Pure is a good disc tho.

Thanks for all the input. I went out today with the Slammer since many of you recommended it as a solid choice for an approach disc. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm good enough to use this disc as an approach disc. It's very overstable and I had problems figuring out where I should aim/release the disc in order to get it close to the target. I'll continue to work with it but I don't think right now it's the approach disc I'm looking for at my skill level.

I did continue to have a lot of success with my Classic Blend Judge. I think it's going to come down to whether I want to give the Envy Plasma a shot or get another Judge, possibly in either Fluid or Fuzion plastic for added durability on approach shots (although the Classic Blend is working quite well now, but getting banged up really quickly).

Again, I appreciate all the help!

TripleB

Thanks for all the input. I went out today with the Slammer since many of you recommended it as a solid choice for an approach disc. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm good enough to use this disc as an approach disc. It's very overstable and I had problems figuring out where I should aim/release the disc in order to get it close to the target. I'll continue to work with it but I don't think right now it's the approach disc I'm looking for at my skill level.

I did continue to have a lot of success with my Classic Blend Judge. I think it's going to come down to whether I want to give the Envy Plasma a shot or get another Judge, possibly in either Fluid or Fuzion plastic for added durability on approach shots (although the Classic Blend is working quite well now, but getting banged up really quickly).

Again, I appreciate all the help!

TripleB

Don't forget the Lucid Judge; excellent feel, pretty durable when used for approaches. Fluid plastic went OOP, though you might can still find some Fluid discs out there.

Don't forget the Lucid Judge; excellent feel, pretty durable when used for approaches. Fluid plastic went OOP, though you might can still find some Fluid discs out there.

True...forgot about Lucid. I was surprised to see that the grip on the Lucid was rated as a 4 (Fluid 6 and Fusion 5)...to me it feels pretty grippy.

Thanks for the info on the Fluid...did not realize it was OOP. Would hate to fall in love with it and then not be able to find a replacement.

That Classic Blend just gives me so much confidence though...wish it was more durable.

TripleB

True...forgot about Lucid. I was surprised to see that the grip on the Lucid was rated as a 4 (Fluid 6 and Fusion 5)...to me it feels pretty grippy.

Thanks for the info on the Fluid...did not realize it was OOP. Would hate to fall in love with it and then not be able to find a replacement.

That Classic Blend just gives me so much confidence though...wish it was more durable.

TripleB

Numbers mean nothing, if you like classic then cycle it. You found your disc. Boom!

TripleB

Numbers mean nothing, if you like classic then cycle it. You found your disc. Boom!

For an approach disc, I want a disc that will retain its flight and be reliable for a good long time. I don't want to have to keep buying discs that get damaged and are constantly changing their flight patterns with use. Since approach discs don't get lost as often as, say, drivers, I know that buying a good premium disc will give me a disc I can rely on and won't have to constantly replace.

I throw the Sinus for this shot. The funky rim on the Sinus prevents skips/rolls.

For a little more distance I prefer the Innova Atlas. Something about the Innova over-molds makes them stop immediately if they hit anything. I haven't tested any of the Latitude 64 over-molds, but they appear to look similar to MVP, which do not all stop on a dime.

I get it, was just reccoming something because he said he felt confident with the classic. That's half the battle right there I mean hell if I feel confident with baseline then I'm going to throw it and an approach disc really shouldn't take a whole lot abuse plus I was thinking that maybe he could benefit from having multiple lines available I'm one mold. IDK just my take. I completely understand your perspective though.

You're not seeing full flight characteristics on 100' upshots anyway. Baseline is fine here.

You guys talk yourselves into a lot of nonsense.

This.
Unless you are playing a ton of rocky greens, a baseline approach disc should last a long time.

I recommend a Rhyno as it is the closest I've found that I can run the basket and not go far past if I miss. But be warned, like others have said, if you run upshots, do not expect an easy, close putt. Better to spend more time developing your putting to increase your comfort distance. Best of luck

You might get along with a Star RocX3. It's dumpier than a Zone and a bit longer, but you give up some distance for that over stability.