• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DX Plastic Variations

JHern

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
About a year ago I procured several nice DX plastic discs in various molds, and the plastic was nice and grippy and rubbery, and when it hit other objects it could fray very slightly (if sharp) but was not likely to lose chunks of plastics.

I picked up a couple DX Classic Rocs (red stamp on yellow plastic) from DGC a few months back and they were not anywhere near the quality of the rubbery DX I had with my older DX Classic Roc (rainbow stamp on yellow plastic). These are more waxy crayon-like feeling and the plastic is prone to breaking off in chunks on impact. (One of the newer ones lost a chunk out of the rim after hitting only a tree.) The disc feels more rigid as a whole than the earlier rubbery versions, but not nearly as durable.

Anyways, what happened to that wonderful older rubbery DX plastic from about 1-2 years ago? Did they go back to that waxy crappy DX plastic instead? If so, it seems like a real shame.

All disc golf manufactures are at the mercy of their suppliers and that's why plastic varies. They don't have engough purchasing power to have a specific plastic manufactured for them.

Yeah, I got really downed when I got my DGC order and I saw my new Rocs and Sharks in that waxy junk.
Honestly, they're holding up waaaay better than I thought they were going to. Mine are lasting just as long as the other older stuff. Mine chunks a little easier but other than that I haven't noticed too much of a difference.

DX sorta comes and goes. Overall Innova has done a pretty good job with it considering it's the red-headed step child of plastics these days. I got to the point where I wouldn't go near Pro D becasue it just seemed like Discraft had completely dropped the ball there, but DX is usually OK.

Discraft said they were upgrading Pro D last year. What is the word on that? Is it safe to throw Pro D again, or does it still suck?

Working Stiff said:
DX sorta comes and goes. Overall Innova has done a pretty good job with it considering it's the red-headed step child of plastics these days. I got to the point where I wouldn't go near Pro D becasue it just seemed like Discraft had completely dropped the ball there, but DX is usually OK.

Discraft said they were upgrading Pro D last year. What is the word on that? Is it safe to throw Pro D again, or does it still suck?

I really like some of the new D blends out of Discraft. For a period the D that was coming out was too domey and stiff and slippery for my liking. I realize that plastic feel is purely personal preference and those blends were beloved by some.

But whether from my urging or not (although I am happy to accept all credit) Discraft has been making more medium hardness discs in D plastic. I think the medium hardness results in tackier feel and flatter tops. I have recent runs of Magnet and Rattler in my bag.

My current Magnet I pulled out of the regrind pile in the factory. It was a weird color blem, sort of orangish with gray swirls. It was so odd I picked it up and looked at it. It felt perfect. I had them add multiple "Bells Brewery" hotstamps and ghost "Discraft Baby" grip stamps to the top and bottom of the disc, right where I hold the disc on a putter grip. Since then the disc has been acting quite grateful for my saving it from being shredded.

If only we all had the option to just pick up a disc and say, "Oh, I'm keeping this, it's nice." :lol: I'm sure there are a lot of disc that are Blems most of us would have snatched up in a second.

i've been on a big dx kick lately. Always have preferred dx rocs and putters to premium plastics and recently got some glo / dx teebirds, eagles and leopards. I'm liking them so far but am waiting for the other shoe to drop. As far as variations in plastic I've liked the feel of some Discraft pro d and most innova dx but it is very prone to personal taste. Anybody recommend throwing the cheap stuff for fairway drivers?

jsun3thousand said:
All disc golf manufactures are at the mercy of their suppliers and that's why plastic varies. They don't have engough purchasing power to have a specific plastic manufactured for them.
dude you need to up your outrage game

try this
jsun3thousand shoulda said:
All disc golf manufactures HATE their MOST LOYAL CUSTOMERS and that's why plastic varies. They don't have AS MUCH LOVE FOR DISC GOLF AS I DO AND THAT'S WHY THEY COULD CARE LESS I HATE THIS COMPANY HATE HATE OUTRAGE.

jsun3thousand said:
Slightly OT: Wasn't MVP a bit special in this regard? Something like there being a plastic company in the family and therefore they get more consistent plastic or something like that? Anyone?

jubuttib said:
jsun3thousand said:
Slightly OT: Wasn't MVP a bit special in this regard? Something like there being a plastic company in the family and therefore they get more consistent plastic or something like that? Anyone?

This is correct.

Its OK for DX (or D for Discraft) quality to come and go, to wax (literally) and wane, etc., but only if you have a variety of plastic options to choose from, and if you can occasionally come back to those sweet sweet blends. The problem is that, for example, Innova produces some of its best discs only in DX plastic. This list includes the Roc, Gazelle, Classic Roc, etc.. OK, you can find some of these from time to time in premium plastic from CFR, etc., if you want to pay a lot more for your discs, and they are producing some kinds of Roc now in premium, but still. And everyone knows that these molds were designed specifically for DX and there is nothing like having one of them in a very awesome DX blend.

Leopard said:
jsun3thousand said:
dude you need to up your outrage game

try this
jsun3thousand shoulda said:
All disc golf manufactures HATE their MOST LOYAL CUSTOMERS and that's why plastic varies. They don't have AS MUCH LOVE FOR DISC GOLF AS I DO AND THAT'S WHY THEY COULD CARE LESS I HATE THIS COMPANY HATE HATE OUTRAGE.

I can only garner so much outrage. First it was misprint mania now it's ebay hustlers. I'll get to hating on major manufactures eventually. In good time, in good time.

I picked up a DX Eagle about 2-3 weeks ago and it banged up extremely easy. I skipped off some roots and they took 2 huge gouges from the disc, great feeling plastic but extremely weak.

Around a week ago I picked up a DX Teebird and it has similar feel but has already proven to be much more resilient(sp). It is not rubbery, it's pretty solid and grippy. Exactly what I like for feel, I am not fond at all of rubbery, bendable plastic.

Mark Ellis said:
Working Stiff said:

I really like some of the new D blends out of Discraft. For a period the D that was coming out was too domey and stiff and slippery for my liking. I realize that plastic feel is purely personal preference and those blends were beloved by some.

But whether from my urging or not (although I am happy to accept all credit) Discraft has been making more medium hardness discs in D plastic. I think the medium hardness results in tackier feel and flatter tops. I have recent runs of Magnet and Rattler in my bag.

My current Magnet I pulled out of the regrind pile in the factory. It was a weird color blem, sort of orangish with gray swirls. It was so odd I picked it up and looked at it. It felt perfect. I had them add multiple "Bells Brewery" hotstamps and ghost "Discraft Baby" grip stamps to the top and bottom of the disc, right where I hold the disc on a putter grip. Since then the disc has been acting quite grateful for my saving it from being shredded.

Mark, Chappy was describing on our club forum that you have some special grip stamp added where you hold the disc. Can you describe/show pictures of this?

http://www.discraft.com/news_0504_ugproto.html
This shows them pretty well, and it's just a little pad as you can see. They aren't PDGA legal yet I don't believe. I'm guessing he's just testing it though of course.

Lithicon said:
http://www.discraft.com/news_0504_ugproto.html
This shows them pretty well, and it's just a little pad as you can see. They aren't PDGA legal yet I don't believe. I'm guessing he's just testing it though of course.
Those are old, came and went pretty quick.

jsun3thousand said:

I don't know much about plastic injection, but as I understand it, they should have 100% control over what their plastic turns out like. One example would the KC Pro plastic. From my experience, those discs run dead nuts plastic mix and mold.

Innova doesn't send out for liquid plastic that's already been mixed, then just push it into a mold. They buy (in bulk) various components of the final plastic, (1 part urethane, 2 parts whatever else, etc) in beads, melt them down, mix them and then push them into the molds.

I don't understand why Innova's plastics (and molds, at times) vary so greatly. The "they're making it cheaper to make more money" arguments don't hold any water, imo, as the actual plastic that goes into a disc is probably under 5% of its selling price.

The only thing I can think of is that they're experimenting with different things. Which, for most players, doesn't matter. And for their pros, it won't matter either, as they can sift through a batch and pick and choose. But for me, I switched away from Innova partially due to these issues.

I just saw a guy with a crap waxy DX plastic Stingray today crack it in half with a very modest impact into a tree. The pro shop was full of this garbage DX blend. I'm not buying any Innova DX discs until Innova upgrades the blend again. The Pro D from Discraft is presently far superior.

SirRaph said:
jsun3thousand said:

I don't know much about plastic injection, but as I understand it, they should have 100% control over what their plastic turns out like. One example would the KC Pro plastic. From my experience, those discs run dead nuts plastic mix and mold.

Innova doesn't send out for liquid plastic that's already been mixed, then just push it into a mold. They buy (in bulk) various components of the final plastic, (1 part urethane, 2 parts whatever else, etc) in beads, melt them down, mix them and then push them into the molds.

I don't understand why Innova's plastics (and molds, at times) vary so greatly. The "they're making it cheaper to make more money" arguments don't hold any water, imo, as the actual plastic that goes into a disc is probably under 5% of its selling price.

The only thing I can think of is that they're experimenting with different things. Which, for most players, doesn't matter. And for their pros, it won't matter either, as they can sift through a batch and pick and choose. But for me, I switched away from Innova partially due to these issues.

The first part about KC plastic, you haven't seen much KC plastic have you? Just in terms of 11X Rocs, to 12X Rocs there are quite a bit of difference between runs of each. Not to mention other molds, and I'm not talking about the Champy KC pro stuff either. That's a whole other story, which I believe was a bit of experimenting myself there. As far as making it cheaper, I don't believe that either as it just changes too often to really say they're making it cheaper.

I think it's in the beads where the majority of their inconsistencies surface. They either don't care, don't monitor, or just don't know what they're getting when they order, and when they mix it. I mean there are human elements that come into all the processes as you said, since they have to mix it all themselves, (you wouldn't think it would be real hard) Take a scoop of this, scoop of that, throw this in, pour this in, mix it for this long at this temp. (especially if you've seen any History Channel Modern Marvels or any other how it's made show, most companies have this stuff measured out to ensure quality control.) Vibram seems to do a pretty damn good job of consistency. But, they are a huge retailer of another product that I'm sure have a lot higher quality control than DG manufacturers when it comes to just what plastics/amounts are used, and the way it's blended. I think it just comes down to the DG manufacturers for the most part aren't that interested in the quality control of their plastic for possibly a number of reasons, staffing, knowledge of the processs, and DG. Plus the main issue that comes into every part of that is the fact of money. They don't want to hire a team of semi-scientist (Because it's going to take more than a pro saying, "Oh this feels just like that one run of so and so plastic, this is money.) to pin down small anomalies in their plastic. It'll take some equipment, and staff they aren't willing to invest in to insure you get a premium base line disc every single time.

And then there are the people that say the inconsistencies are good because it gives us a selection. :roll: