• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DX Teebird

n1ceroll

Hello everyone,

I discovered the greatness of the DX Teebird two years ago. It has a flight path that just works for me wonderfully (subtle turn, amazing glide, gentle fade), and the power requirement is perfectly in my comfort zone. However, I think the blessing and curse of the disc is its DX-ness. Having tried the Teebird in other plastics (Champ is like a completely different disc IMO), I'm convinced the DX plastic is where the magic comes from in my case....but it also limits the magic by potentially losing large chunks when smacked against a tree the right way.

My question, especially for you old school guys, is...does a disc exist in a premium plastic that matches the magic of the DX Teebird (anyone who has thrown them regularly knows what I'm talking about)? I've looked online a good bit and really haven't found a satisfactory answer. I know I can buy more DX Teebirds, but I'd rather have a more durable disc that holds the flight longer than having a 4 ft tall stack of DX Teebirds in my closet.

I've tried G* Teebirds (nice, but not the same), Champ Teebirds (no thanks), Champ TLs (kind of, but not really). Still looking. Any suggestions?

(PS: I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong place or breaking protocol. Feel free to move/delete/scold if necessary.)

I'll be the first to scold.

You started a new thread instead of continuing in the established Teebird thread?
Prerube would be prerubing you hard.

No one can agree on what discs fly like Teebirds. It's like determining which original Charlie's Angel was the most beautiful, although I know it was Kate Jackson.

I love Tbirds and throw DX also. Try a light star Tbird, in the 150s. If the factory store has them try the F2nds.

That really depends on how beat in your DX Teebird is that you want to replicate. A TL does seem to fly like an out of the box DX 'Bird, but DX 'Birds change flight characteristics within the first round or two. At that point I'd say a DX Teebird is closer to a Westside Stag, Discmania FD, or DGA Pipeline.

You started a new thread instead of continuing in the established Teebird thread?

Oops, apologies.

That really depends on how beat in your DX Teebird is that you want to replicate. A TL does seem to fly like an out of the box DX 'Bird, but DX 'Birds change flight characteristics within the first round or two. At that point I'd say a DX Teebird is closer to a Westside Stag, Discmania FD, or DGA Pipeline.

Hmmm....I keep circling that FD, I might have to give it a shot. You're right, the TL is like an out of the box DX. I guess I mean the slightly beat after 1-2 rounds DX flight.

Star lite t-birds fly close to a DX and they hold up pretty well in comparison. I have a couple of star-lite t-birds and one feels more a bit more like normal star while the other feels like a gummy pro plastic. They are tons of fun with a tailwind.

I may be on a slight high because it got me some birdies last night, but the Stag is the best long term DX teebird. I parked a 400ft slight downhill hole and it was so pretty in the air.

Agree with the Stag and FD comparisons. If I was starting out and didn't have a bunch of Teebirds I would pick from those.

I use a Pinnacle Rival(167g) for what I used to use a dx Teebird for.

I prefer Star-like plastics over Chamion-like plastics but found the one Icon Rival I have thrown to be too dumpy for what I want with this slot.

After beating in my dx Teebirds a little, they tended to lose a some low speed stability, which I liked a lot.

My seasoned Rivals still fade more like a new dx Teebird.

Good luck with your search.

I'd give the infinite disc centurion a try, I went through this same search last year after getting sick of DX teebirds falling out of the sweet spot, recently picked up a couple of the swirly S blend ones from a local shop and they're great right out of the box, just the tiniest bit more stable than a perfect DX teebird. So far they've been the closest I've found to feel/flight of the dx teebird.

Aren't Stag and FD both rare as hens teeth these days?

Yes, unfortunately. :(

Which is why I recently switched and stocked up on Pipelines. But all three discs are very similar, and if the OP can find Stags or FDs those would also be viable options.

Star lite t-birds fly close to a DX and they hold up pretty well in comparison. I have a couple of star-lite t-birds and one feels more a bit more like normal star while the other feels like a gummy pro plastic. They are tons of fun with a tailwind.

I agree with this for most star-lites.. I've had one or two that were more stable, but they're anomalies.

If you're looking for a disc that hyper flips and turns to finish to the right, I'd say.. maybe a diamond is closest out of the box.

I have 2 star lite Tbirds in my bag. One flies like a seasoned Tbird and the other is one of the most OS Tbirds I've thrown.

For the average Joe, the DX Teebird is the best Teebird.

I tried the same thing, the search for a premium plastic disc that gets the flight of a seasoned DX Teebird. With the money I spent trying different molds, I could of bought a stack of DX and been done with it.

So, I bag a new DX and a seasoned one, rinse and repeat. I may get annoyed once in a while when I get a gouge or chunk, but there is always another one in line. I'm confident with DX Teebirds, so I settle for some of the issues.

Some of the previous posters have the right answer.

My wife throws DX Teebirds. I have thrown hers and they really reminded me of my S-line FD's.

With no timeframe for when you might find an FD, the TL might be close enough to that DX Teebird flight.

Millennium JLS is a seasoned DX teebird out of the box. Comes in a couple different plastics but I prefer base Millennium plastic, (Innova Pro plastic)

No one can agree on what discs fly like Teebirds. It's like determining which original Charlie's Angel was the most beautiful, although I know it was Kate Jackson.
I can't believe no one is defending Jaclyn Smith here. :|

Latest posts