• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dyer for hire?

Lopan is a good dyer, he lives near Raleigh.

I have a Z Buzzz dyed as a Captain America shield that I will probably be getting rid of (too heavy for me-176g). Lopan actually did the dye. The disc hasn't been thrown.

DSCI0466.jpg

Everyone does the shield

While most members of the dyer's guild are pretty good, the self-propagating exclusivity of the dyer's guild is, in fact, bad for the art.
More important than blindly choosing a member of a "guild," look at portfolios, prices, and backgrounds of the artists. I recommend choosing somebody with a plotter, or who has done several clean circles.

Although I do commissioned work. I am not a member of the dyers guild. I would still recommend them. I however would not take this job.

While most members of the dyer's guild are pretty good, the self-propagating exclusivity of the dyer's guild is, in fact, bad for the art.
More important than blindly choosing a member of a "guild," look at portfolios, prices, and backgrounds of the artists. I recommend choosing somebody with a plotter, or who has done several clean circles.

This. I like the guild dyers, but it almost seems random who gets in, and there are plenty of very talented dyers not in the guild. It was a good idea when the talent pool wasn't as deep as it is now, but there's so many good dyers around now, so check portfolios and prices and find a dyer whose style you like.

I've done a freehand captain america shield, and while it turned out nicely, it was a pain in the ass and nerve wracking. I wouldn't do one again on commission, it really is a dye for someone with a plotter if it's a commission disc with that much exact geometry.

This is beyond my comprehension...

I think the original idea behind the guild was so that people wouldn't have to blindly choose, all the members are experienced dye craftspeople who will probably be able to accomplish what you want. Problem is the only one who can invite new dyers to the guild seems to have disappeared, and his predecessor was perma-banned so there is a problem at the moment. That said, I'm in total agreement with the rest that has been posted. Find someone who's work you like and ask 'em. I don't like rookies taking custom requests in here because if you screw it up and don't make it right you make DGCR look bad, that is to be avoided at all costs! I personally don't like taking custom requests and most definitely will not be taking this one!

I don't believe dyers guild is not meant to further any art, its meant to provide quality dye work. Individuals' experiments, and collaboration on this forum is what advances the 'art.'

The guild is also meant to be a list of dyers who regularly accept commissioned work, instead of blindly poking dyers who may not be interested in jobs.
The exclusivity is unintentional, and should probably be re-examined again since AP has disappeared.

I also feel that being part of the dyers guild assures quality work and trustworthy members, as well as standing behind a job and working out a compromise if anything goes wrong.
I just feel bad for anyone seeing a thread like this and getting a bad product.

Did you find someone yet Mr. America? I've done the shield before. I charge $20 plus shipping for a brand new dyed disc.

the other subject: The 'dyers guild' should disband and form a new one with someone in charge who is actually here. There are good dyers who can't get in.

No, I haven't even seriously looked for one. I had one or two people PM me about it. I've been too busy trying to figure out what disc(s) I'd want to get dyed. I think I am leaning heavily towards the Clear DGA Reef/Discraft APX Sparkle.