• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dying for a cause.

Wildbuck

Bogey Member
So it is almost that time of year again. Hazy shade in dayton ohio has a cool event every year to provide a merry christmas for a needy family in the area. Submissions. Submissions are due by thanksgiving. Every entry gets a free disc in return. Voying will be done and winner for the best disc recieves 5 free discs and 2nd place gets 2. All discs will be then auctioned off. 100% of the proceeds go towards buying food and toys for the family in need. For more details you can look them up on facebook (hazy shade disc golf and more) or call them at 937-256-2690.

I've participated in this the last two years, it's a really cool thing they do down there. I'm glad it's getting talked about early, hopefully it really blows up this year. With all that sweet plastic that's going out with Ockthrowberfest there should be some great opportunities. It really suprised me the donations that can come out of dyeing and paying it forward. Last year I dye the disc I got back from Hazy Shade and auctioned it off for $50 at our Ice Bowl. At the previous years Ice Bowl('13) my also-ran entry to 'Throberfest '12 got $25 at auction.

This is legit then? Good I got a totally random message about it the other day and was somewhat taken by surprise from it, now that I know its for real, I will start getting my stuff ready.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hazy-Shade-Disc-Golf-And-More/173084619405424?hc_location=timeline

Not sure if the link will work so I cut and pasted the text of their post on FB from Oct. 21st

From Hazy Shade Disc Golf and More:
It's time once again to start thinking about this year's Dying for a Cause. Entry's must be received by Thanksgiving. The contest and sales will start that weekend. Here's how it works. Dye any new disc with the art of your choosing (nothing offensive please). Send us or drop off your disc to the shop. Disc's will be displayed in store and on our Facebook page. Vote for your favorite in store or online with likes. At the same time we will list the discs for auction on ebay. 100% of the money raised from the sales will go to help a local family have a better Christmas. Winner will be determined by total likes plus highest $ amount raised. Everyone who enters a disc that sells in the auction will receive a equal value production disc in return. We do not cover limited or rare discs so please choose a disc wisely. Winner will receive 5 new production discs of there choice and second place will receive 2 new production discs of there choice. If you are out of town and mailing us a disc you cover shipping to us we will pay to ship back to you. Pictures will be posted of all the gifts we buy so you can see what your efforts went towards. This is the 4th year we have done this and have been able to make a big difference for a local family. Please help us make a difference.

This sounds great. Count me in for sure. I wish there were these dying contests all year round. I just started a few months ago and it's all I can think about.

So it is almost that time of year again. Hazy shade in dayton ohio has a cool event every year to provide a merry christmas for a needy family in the area. Submissions. Submissions are due by thanksgiving. Every entry gets a free disc in return. Voying will be done and winner for the best disc recieves 5 free discs and 2nd place gets 2. All discs will be then auctioned off. 100% of the proceeds go towards buying food and toys for the family in need. For more details you can look them up on facebook (hazy shade disc golf and more) or call them at 937-256-2690.

Does this mean they need to be in your hands by Thanksgiving, or in the mail by Thanksgiving? Ex - if someone sends one out 4 days before and USPS takes forever so it gets there late, do they get in?

I ask bc I would like to do one but wont' be dyeing much in the next couple weeks as I try to get in a bunch of disc before the pins all get pulled around these parts.

You would have to call the shop about details like that. I was just trying to help get the word out about something good in the local disc golf community

I am planning on submitting a disc for this, but was concerned that it wouldn't get to the shop by Thanksgiving if it took me until Monday or Tuesday to finish it up and get it mailed out.

So I asked the shop if my entry would be accepted if it happened to not get to the shop until Friday. Here was the response from Jeremy:

"No we will except Entry's on Friday no problem. I think voting and auctions will start Monday so even if it got held up until Saturday it would be fine. We just need time to photograph and list all of the discs so we say by Thanksgiving."

Figured I would post this here in case anyone else had the same concern.

Just got mine in the mail!

I gotta say, it's a beauty. Probably my favorite one I have ever done to be honest. It was tough to send off, but made easier knowing it will help a good cause, and get someone else a sweet piece of plastic. I'll post it here in dye a day thread once it is up on thier FB next week.

Anyone else from this forum Dyeing for a Cause this year?

Title should be "DYEING"...you don't want to offer more than you can afford to give, lol ;)

I dyed an entry, but it didn't turn out that well. I need to practice up a bit, and get some new discs to dye, so I can try an entry next time

Yeah, I dyed a disc for the contest. Probably my best one so far. I will post it here once the pictures go up on the Hazy Shade page.

Keith

I had to burn the midnight oil on Sunday and Monday night but I managed to get it done. I wish some of the colors came out a little brighter but overall happy with the outcome. I think it might be time to try some Idye or Spike it.

There are some really awesome discs this year!

My favorites other than Lycanus are probably the dragon, the zebra barcode, and the simpsons abbey road, but they are all really awesome.

Latest posts