• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] Dynamic Discs Making Their Own

"...the discs will be similar to a Buzzz, Wizard, Destroyer and Teebird, but this is not confirmed."

... :\

It has become commonplace, when releasing a new disc, to call it "a longer/more controllable/awesomer *insert Hall of Fame worthy disc name*.

What does that really mean? The molds of each disc are protected by patent. So these discs obviously aren't going to be exactly like those discs. And as we all know, the tiniest change in a mold can make an enormous difference in their flight. Hell, a disc's flight can vary wildly just from run to run.

Saying a disc is a "faster Destroyer" is sort of silly. The Destroyer is such a popular disc, partly because it's not as fast as the warp speed discs, and therefore more controllable.

So what they're saying when they call any disc a "longer Teebird", is that it's a controllable, straight-flying disc with a wing that's elongated compared to the Teebird.

Can't we just say that?

So what they're saying when they call any disc a "longer Teebird", is that it's a controllable, straight-flying disc with a wing that's elongated compared to the Teebird.

Can't we just say that?

That's a lot more complicated and harder to follow than "it's a longer teebird." The whole idea is to give consumers a common frame of reference. Most players are at least somewhat familiar with a teebird, so it's very easy to draw comparisons to it. It's no coincidence that each of the compared-to discs are some of the most popular choices for that category.

Side note, I'm pretty sure individual molds are not protected by patent.

Lat discs similar to (similar to does not mean same as):
Buzzz -> Core or domey max weight Fuse, maybe even Warship
Wizard -> Sinus or Mercy
Teebird -> Saint (biggest stretch of the list)
Destroyer -> Flow or Sword

Lat could just put spacers or mild mold tweaks to the above molds and voilá you have new discs.

Lat could just put spacers or mild mold tweaks to the above molds and voilá you have new discs.

It's not like this doesn't happen already within the other companies. Easiest example is the Magnet and Titanic. Isn't that just a nose spacer difference?

Do you see anything on the disc that would make you think the mold is patented?

I'm still suprised no one ever named a disc the "Freebird". So many hippies would buy it and be a top seller at Dick's.

Well the River is a + mold Leopard sooo does that mean DD will have a Teebird + mold fairway driver? Sounds likely..

Well the Jackal FD is a + mold tweaked Leopard ...

FTFY

yes spacers and mold piece hodgepodges are routinely used in "mold for's" (best name I could make up on the fly.)

Magnet/Titanic is one example. The entire Discmania lineup is another example.

It's not like this doesn't happen already within the other companies. Easiest example is the Magnet and Titanic. Isn't that just a nose spacer difference?

Yes but its not the same as what they're saying because Discraft and DGA are sister companies. Titanics even say "magnet" on the inside. They're the same disc. Just like Discmania now "makes" the gremlin which is an Innova disc originally.

FTFY

yes spacers and mold piece hodgepodges are routinely used in "mold for's" (best name I could make up on the fly.)

Magnet/Titanic is one example. The entire Discmania lineup is another example.

I thought the Anhyzer top is what made Discmania unique. Is that no longer DM only? I know what you're saying though. I know there aren't tops and bottoms for each individual mold.

Yes but its not the same as what they're saying because Discraft and DGA are sister companies. Titanics even say "magnet" on the inside. They're the same disc. Just like Discmania now "makes" the gremlin which is an Innova disc originally.

And Millennium and Discmania molds say Innova. Isn't it conceivable that DD's discs will bear Lat/Westside tooling? Molds aren't cheap to produce. Look at the teaser pic. It uses Lat's font. I imagine there's a lot more to this than DD having a new lineup made without any PDGA approval going on.

Last edited:
It appears that reading comprehension is no longer pushed in public schools.

Lol ^

Seriously though, I don't see how it will be a positive effect. More discs that are almost the same or exactly the same as another. Now when I go into the DD store, they will be pushing their discs instead of being open to them all. Also, how will dynamic disc sponsored players be effected? Will they have to use just DD discs? Or can they use their original set of discs while still being affiliated to them? Idk seems like a headache.

REALLY? What would prevent Discraft from reverse engineering a Teebird and calling it the "TeeBeard"?

Nothing would prevent them because the beveled edge flying disc patent expired years ago. Patents are expensive and time-consuming. Given how quickly molds are released, the patented mold would be obsolete within two years.

Nope I ment River... No fix needed.

I don't care what you meant. The River is a completely different mold from the Leopard. The River is a larger diameter disc (21.5 vs 21.2) and a wider wing (1.8 vs 1.6). The wing profile is also different.

@ tbird888: The anhyzer top is a proprietary piece but the rest is from Innova. Most of the Millennium molds are Innova hodgepodges with some proprietary pieces.

back on topic: Lat may do all hodgepodges for DD, like a Warship wing with Core top etc.

bottom line: I will probably buy one of these frankendiscs because I love Lat/Westside. my chances of purchase are increased by an order of magnitude if they are offered in sparkle opto.

I don't care what you meant. The River is a completely different mold from the Leopard. The River is a larger diameter disc (21.5 vs 21.2) and a wider wing (1.8 vs 1.6). The wing profile is also different.

ITs ok I promise. :hfive:
My opinion is the River is a Plus mold Leo. Your opinion = More important than mine.. Cheers!

Latest posts