• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] Dynamic Discs: MARSHAL, stable putter.

My understanding (IIRC Paige Pierce talked about Prime plastic Deputys in a video) is that Prime does beat in relatively quickly, as DX does. I haven't heard anyone raving about Prime with effusive praise

I have not had the pleasure of throwing the Classic marshal but I have thrown a lot of the blend/lucid/prime ones. I can say that the blends break in significantly faster than there prime counterparts. I have 4 or 5 primes and all of them are on the stable side of a marshal flight (all TC runs so maybe it has been tweaked in stability since then) But I love the feel of prime, it stands up very well to tree hits whereas a CB would taco and lose some durability. I currently am running two blends for putts, a blend for straight/turnover and a lucid for OS tasks that need more glide than something like a harp.

I was able to get to the store - I found a Classic Hard - black 174g and a Prime Gray burst 173g. I was surprised by Prime, it felt pretty much just like a medium or blend, but almost like a classic or hard - it was the same except a little more 'gummy-ness / rubbery feel' - but like 10% difference. I can see that it was be great in the winter. The Marshal was decent. Very straight. Nice feel - that alone kinda won me over - putted very straight, mild fade decent speed/glide ratio. I liked it - but I did also pick up a Shield in BT Hard burst - It could have been the weather (alight breeze) or how I was putting (little harder) but I found I was more confident with the Sheild - now I didn't want it this way, I prefer the feel of the marshal but they are very similar - Shield was definitely more high speed stable and had a bit more hook in the end, maybe less glide too - but it was confident in a little wind. idk, now im carrying both to figure them out.

I was able to get to the store - I found a Classic Hard - black 174g and a Prime Gray burst 173g. I was surprised by Prime, it felt pretty much just like a medium or blend, but almost like a classic or hard - it was the same except a little more 'gummy-ness / rubbery feel' - but like 10% difference. I can see that it was be great in the winter. The Marshal was decent. Very straight. Nice feel - that alone kinda won me over - putted very straight, mild fade decent speed/glide ratio. I liked it - but I did also pick up a Shield in BT Hard burst - It could have been the weather (alight breeze) or how I was putting (little harder) but I found I was more confident with the Sheild - now I didn't want it this way, I prefer the feel of the marshal but they are very similar - Shield was definitely more high speed stable and had a bit more hook in the end, maybe less glide too - but it was confident in a little wind. idk, now im carrying both to figure them out.

I have a grand total of one (1) BT Hard Shield. Maybe mine was an aberration, but it was understable and turned over on throws. It putted okay, but didn't feel nearly as good in the hand as the Marshal. I also tried the Crown, which has a bigger bead than the Shield. The Crown felt better in the hand for me, but did not perform as well for me as the Marshal.

So you got the Classic Marshal, or the Prime, or both?

I have a grand total of one (1) BT Hard Shield. Maybe mine was an aberration, but it was understable and turned over on throws. It putted okay, but didn't feel nearly as good in the hand as the Marshal. I also tried the Crown, which has a bigger bead than the Shield. The Crown felt better in the hand for me, but did not perform as well for me as the Marshal.

So you got the Classic Marshal, or the Prime, or both?

I got one of each - gonna try them out with the shield and kinda settle on something later. I like them both tho

I got one of each - gonna try them out with the shield and kinda settle on something later. I like them both tho

I don't remember if I mentioned this earlier, but in the "is this disc right for you" video, Eric McCabe said the Marshal was really good for spin putters. I migrated to more of a pure spin putt, which is one reason the Marshal works well for me. I don't know if you push putt or spin putt, or in between, but that might be something to consider...

I don't remember if I mentioned this earlier, but in the "is this disc right for you" video, Eric McCabe said the Marshal was really good for spin putters. I migrated to more of a pure spin putt, which is one reason the Marshal works well for me. I don't know if you push putt or spin putt, or in between, but that might be something to consider...

I have seen that several times - but I get my answers from REAL experience - I got the putters and tried them for myself - I don't know my 'style' as I don't think about it, I just putt. but its more like Spush I guess -

im gonna get out and practice but life has been incredibly busy for us lately so - itll be a little time

I have seen that several times - but I get my answers from REAL experience - I got the putters and tried them for myself - I don't know my 'style' as I don't think about it, I just putt. but its more like Spush I guess -

im gonna get out and practice but life has been incredibly busy for us lately so - itll be a little time

Simon Lizotte is an awesome spin putter. I aspire to putt with anything approaching his accuracy if not his range. Sarah Hokom might be the ultimate push putter; I am amazed at some of those high-arcing flop putts she makes. Ricky Wysocki is in between but towards the push side; McBeth seems to be right in the middle...

I just ordered a stack of Classic Marshals, so I think I'm set for life on those.

I just looked at my BT Hard Shield and one of my Classic Marshals. I was surprised just how similar their profiles are. The Marshal's underside is just a bit more angled inward (which makes the place for the index finger just a bit more comfortable), but otherwise they are very much the same the rest of the way. So it's just a matter of which is better for one's putting style. The Marshal gets 'er done for me, but the Shield might do better for others.

TL; DR: they're very similar, YMMV on performance.

Big fan of this disc. I think it is the putter I have always been looking for. A workhorse that can do everything. I used to use pretty much only wizards, but they just felt a bit too deep for my hands.

It has taken over all of my driving and putting duties. The Lucids I picked up are pretty overstable relative to a neutral putter. Great high speed stability and can take pretty much all the power I can give it. It's even decent into a mild headwind. I'd say i'd throw them into about 10 mph of wind until thinking about switching to my mortar. It feels great in the hand, especially for putting. I will say that a fresh one is a bit too overstable for putting, but 2-3 tree hits are enough to get them going straighter. Hopefully they make them in Lucid and some of the fuzion blends. I think this is a fantastic driving putter and really excels in premium plastic.

Can anyone give me a comaparison to the Pure, as far as depth of rim and flight characteristics? I ordered a Bar Stamp LUCID Marshal I am hoping to use as a driving/throwing putter.

Can anyone give me a comaparison to the Pure, as far as depth of rim and flight characteristics? I ordered a Bar Stamp LUCID Marshal I am hoping to use as a driving/throwing putter.

I putt with the Marshal, and I've used the Pure for throwing and putting in the past.

In rim depth, the Marshal is a hair, just a hair deeper than the Pure.

In flight, the Pure is about as dead-straight as any putter out there. The Marshal will have a bit of fade at the end.

I putt with the Marshal, and I've used the Pure for throwing and putting in the past.

In rim depth, the Marshal is a hair, just a hair deeper than the Pure.

In flight, the Pure is about as dead-straight as any putter out there. The Marshal will have a bit of fade at the end.

Thank you! Exactly what I was hoping to hear.:thmbup:

Necro bump because i'm looking at switching from Wizards to Marshals, in large part due to the consistency in plastics.

Can anyone speak to how the Marshal molds up in Lucid plastic? I find many putters will feel nice and slim in baseline but bulky and deep in premium, specifically the Shield which is know is very similar to the Marshal. I've heard lucid Marshal's are flat at least, which is nice.

Necro bump because i'm looking at switching from Wizards to Marshals, in large part due to the consistency in plastics.

Can anyone speak to how the Marshal molds up in Lucid plastic? I find many putters will feel nice and slim in baseline but bulky and deep in premium, specifically the Shield which is know is very similar to the Marshal. I've heard lucid Marshal's are flat at least, which is nice.

I putt with the Classic Marshal, so I got a Lucid Marshal to use as a thrower. Of course I can tell the difference in the plastics, but in terms of grip and depth my Lucid Marshal feels just like my Classic Marshals.

Just threw the lucid marshal back in the bag after an 8 month hiatus. From my experience they feel slightly bulkier than the baseline style plastic and a touch deeper. To me, they feel better than a VIP shield but still a little chunky (but not too bad). All in all a fantastic complement to my Blend throwers for windy/stable shots and still have a confident marshal feel that I can rely on.

Looking at the Worlds videos, Paige throw the Marshal SOO often it just needs to be her sig. Disc

Looking at the Worlds videos, Paige throw the Marshal SOO often it just needs to be her sig. Disc

That would not hurt my feelings a bit. We might get some Marshals stocked at some places if that happened.

But the Deputy is one of Paige's sig discs, so it is unlikely she'll get the Marshal, too.

Being a 5X World champ and DD top player i think she can get quite a few Sig. discs. . . if DD wants to keep her

I don´t think she want to leave DD but a few $100 000 and sig line from Discraft could be hard to say no to

Being a 5X World champ and DD top player i think she can get quite a few Sig. discs. . . if DD wants to keep her

I don´t think she want to leave DD but a few $100 000 and sig line from Discraft could be hard to say no to

I'd be shocked... shocked!... if Paige Pierce left DD. And I know there will be people saying "We never thought Paul McBeth would leave Innova!". But it's two different situations, IMHO. Time will tell, I guess.

I'd be shocked... shocked!... if Paige Pierce left DD. And I know there will be people saying "We never thought Paul McBeth would leave Innova!". But it's two different situations, IMHO. Time will tell, I guess.

I would be shocked to. . .the only things that speaks for a move is money, and that Discraft "needs" a top FPO pro. . .and it would be fun with the 2x 5X in the same team.

But i don´t think it will happen, no other team can give her the "family feel" that DD brings

But i Do think she will get the Marshal as a Sig disc after Worlds. . .she throw that red one ALOT. . .and FAR