• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Eagle McMahon's Shoulder impingement

Their near carbon copy body types. Long strong legs. Relatively small upperbody. They both broke the rule of never throw more than 80 percent.

This is what I fear for eagle..

Even 80% done at high volume will break down tissue if there is enough repetition. Think about the sheer amount of people who do even light labor for a living who end up with cumulative trauma injuries. Will has said before that the crazy amount of hours he put into practice putting could have been a major factor with his shoulder having problems, not just the big drives.

I recall Feldberg saying many times that he doesn't practice or play much at all except a little putting. That guy was way ahead of his time with that idea me thinks.

Total load over time adds up.

Their near carbon copy body types. Long strong legs. Relatively small upperbody. They both broke the rule of never throw more than 80 percent.

This is what I fear for eagle..

I might disagree about the long "strong legs" comment. I'm not seeing much meat on them bones, and take a look at Anthony Barela's legs, wow..I cringe when I see him put too much pressure on those legs, they look like they could just crack at anytime.

I disagree. Relative to his height and shoulders he is built like a horse. Where as some guys have a lot of upper body and average legs. I think of Drew Gibson and even Simon Lizotte.

Dave's comment on practice is current. When he was younger that's all he did was practice. Now a days and the last few years no probably not much practice at all.

Yes, I agree on major amounts of putting can cause impingement issues.

Compared to Wysocki, elbow never close to the body:

Rick's been throwing less FH's the last few seasons, so much so that many pro players on commentary wonder on some holes why he chooses the BH over a FH line with his great FH. So as far as I'm aware nobody has said anything about him having any physical issues leading to this? Maybe he's just feeling way more confident in his BH over time?

To me, Rick's FH looks the most like a typical baseball OH throw but with the body tilted to the side, so the shoulder/elbow position look really similar relative to his spine.

If it would eventually lead to problems, wouldnt Koling be the first one to get an injury. No one throws more Fh's than him.

Koling often speaks about how he doesn't throw FHs like the power FH guys do. He's often throwing FH with flippy to super flippy discs with hyzer. Good luck finding him laying into a PD2.
Koling is a wise DG elder, he's seen what happens to players when they push the envelope.

Rick's been throwing less FH's the last few seasons, so much so that many pro players on commentary wonder on some holes why he chooses the BH over a FH line with his great FH. So as far as I'm aware nobody has said anything about him having any physical issues leading to this? Maybe he's just feeling way more confident in his BH over time?

To me, Rick's FH looks the most like a typical baseball OH throw but with the body tilted to the side, so the shoulder/elbow position look really similar relative to his spine.

First thing I thought watching that video was, sideways baseball throw.

Either you're being facetious, or you're being an A-hole. Either way I'm disappointed that you're getting likes.

I thought I was having some shoulder impingement issues the other day. I ate some hamburgers, it's fine now.

Well he's vegan so I doubt he'll recover fully. :|

I'm pretty confident that eagle's impingement is just from having rounded shoulders. That's the root cause of almost every shoulder issue because it inevitably leads to rotator cuff tears.

I'm pretty confident that eagle's impingement is just from having rounded shoulders. That's the root cause of almost every shoulder issue because it inevitably leads to rotator cuff tears.

I'd like to see the source of this information.

I'd like to see the source of this information.

I don't believe having "rounded" shoulders has anything to do with it. It's always been medically accepted that the throwing motion is not a "natural" movement of the shoulder or arm joints. It puts undue stress on those joints/muscles/ligaments when making a throwing motion. How many sports that involve throwing do you see anyone over 40 playing and how many young pros have you seen throw their arms out young in a sport like baseball? While a hard BH is not exactly a "natural" movement either, it is a LOT less stressful on joints and other tissues than the FH. Won't even touch on the aspects of overhand/tomahawk throwing. Good luck keeping your rotator cuff in working order if you want to use those throwing styles a lot.

Last edited:
Either you're being facetious, or you're being an A-hole. Either way I'm disappointed that you're getting likes.

Thanks for finding the time to post this in between the frequent bathroom visits you probably have to take due to all the dumb veggies you probably eat. :|

Thanks for finding the time to post this in between the frequent bathroom visits you probably have to take due to all the dumb veggies you probably eat. :|
Wow, you must really be bored,waging war on vegans...but hey if you are getting likes, go for it.

I bet Keegan is a meat eater.

Enough said.

iu

Video link...

Feel-wise, Rick's upper arm/shoulder feels connected during the backswing and through the rest of the throw, whereas Eagle turns the shoulders back and then plants, then feels the upper arm "catch" kind of at/after that point?

But I don't quite understand the part about Eagle's rear leg recoiling away though, that seems like a completely separate thing? His BH form also has that type of rear leg recoil, and he is basically the longest BH and FH thrower ever so is this a negative thing at all?

Feel-wise, Rick's upper arm/shoulder feels connected during the backswing and through the rest of the throw, whereas Eagle turns the shoulders back and then plants, then feels the upper arm "catch" kind of at/after that point?

But I don't quite understand the part about Eagle's rear leg recoiling away though, that seems like a completely separate thing? His BH form also has that type of rear leg recoil, and he is basically the longest BH and FH thrower ever so is this a negative thing at all?
Correct on first part.

Eagle's BH doesn't recoil the rear leg like that, it everts forward like 6-12" before it might ever recoil back. His back foot on his FH basically stays in place and then actually backs away.

Stephen Strasburg is/was also one of the best pitchers in the MLB, doesn't mean his mechanics are good. Same with Tiger Woods.