• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Eagle McMahon's Shoulder impingement

Dr.Smooth

Double Eagle Member
Unfortunate to hear about eagle's injury. Anybody got the scoop. Seems to playing quite well with a diagnosed shoulder impingement condition.

Also, would like to know what he is doing to recover.

He played in a tournament the week after he hurt his shoulder so I wouldn't worry too much about him. He's also young and can bounce back fast.

Wasn't this how Will's long time injury was once described?

Will was a hot commodity before I got into disc golf. Was he playing the week after his "injury"?

Injury in quotes because I don't know what happened with him.

I'm not doubting he'll make a full recovery but mashing os discs for extended amount of time can't be good for you imo. Yeah when you're young your body can bounce back quicker but throwing pd2s the way that he does will put a strain on your body.

I have an impingement as well. It only affects OH and FH throws, at least for me.

Is keeping your elbow in on forehands incorrect form?

Definitely is in pitching mechanics. Even on submarine throws - there may be an appearance of the "elbow in" as the body is tilted to the side, but if you look from the shoulder plane the elbow is out for extension and velocity.

Scott Stokely - former FH distance record holder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d69Z1TlnAwM#t=9m
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBrlJ9mDbhQ

GD4qcMV.png

Seems to me that over reliance on FH throwing will eventually lead to arm or shoulder problems. I have seen a few pros get knocked out of action with a bad shoulder from throwing too many FH's and I personally threw my shoulder out with a FH as well as another person I used to play with (his actually got thrown out by doing too many tomahawks!). This only gets worse the older one gets. McMahon is only what, maybe 20 or 21 years old? How old is Sexton with his shoulder injury? I think some of this can be contributed to the fact there is just not much weight with the discs when throwing them sidearm (FH), unlike a baseball, but I may be way off base with this. I can only go from my experience from the many years I played baseball and NEVER threw a shoulder or arm out and how I totally effed up my shoulder after just a short while of throwing plastic FH. Now I only use a FH for certain shots/lines and for shorter distances (200 feet and under). Of course I am not 20 something but if I was and suffered a shoulder injury at that age I would certainly be throwing many more BH than I did previously, especially when teeing off. I could throw about 30+ feet further on average with the FH over the BH but once I hurt that shoulder and couldn't throw ANYTHING for good month or so (and certainly did not throw another FH for a good 2 years after the injury) I went strictly BH. Just now starting to work some shorter FH throws back in after hurting that shoulder back in summer of 2016.

If it would eventually lead to problems, wouldnt Koling be the first one to get an injury. No one throws more Fh's than him.

And looks like baseballs weigh 142-149.

Last edited:
As with any traditional throwing motion the mechanics and effort level are big pieces of this. Usually the elbow is the first to catch the issues, but shoulder can come with too much max effort throwing. Especially while fatigued.

I've had an impingement that lead to a partial rotator cuff tear while trying to play through it in baseball. Would caution Eagle in the next few weeks not to push it too hard. Before that issue I threw 90-93 at times and never hit above 91 after it.

If it would eventually lead to problems, wouldnt Koling be the first one to get an injury. No one throws more Fh's than him.

And looks like baseballs weigh 142-149.

Hmm. Looks like you are correct with the grams a baseball weighs. For some reason they seemed a lot heavier than a golf disc to me. And I've played both sports so go figure (as John Candy would say) :doh: . As for Koling, idk. Some guys can get lucky and avoid injury while others get broken down. Will have to watch his form a little closer next time I watch a vid of him playing.

Their near carbon copy body types. Long strong legs. Relatively small upperbody. They both broke the rule of never throw more than 80 percent.

This is what I fear for eagle..

Their near carbon copy body types. Long strong legs. Relatively small upperbody. They both broke the rule of never throw more than 80 percent.

This is what I fear for eagle..

I don't see Eagle throw over 80% that often though...I feel like over 80% approaches a 500' FH for him, which is insane. And on his BH there are few times you see him REALLY go into it with steam and turn all the way back. Those are on shots he's going for like 600'. Lots of the time he's throwing casual 80% PD lasers for close to 500'. When he's on the CCDG speed gun it seems like his firm FH is in that 67-68MPH area and firm BH is 74-76MPH. Any more than that velocity is him going all out, from what I've seen. Of course those numbers are already top end for basically any other elite level pro.

I also wonder if it's his upper arm/elbow slot from FH, getting that arm extending targetward away from him? I mean I have no idea, I would just like to know because he's the hardest FH thrower that I'm aware of, so he's clearly getting top velocity on the disc. I'd just like to know if anything he's doing is poor biomechanically.

This is kind of what I'm meaning in Sexton's form, who also had an impingement lately which he said he struggled with on FH throws afterward. Image is from this video at 0:32. https://youtu.be/muNzHN1hy7w?t=32

attachment.php

Attachments

• Sexton FH Arm.jpg
    Sexton FH Arm.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 466
Jeff explains shoulder issues here and a very easy stretch or exercise to help prevent them.

Jeff explains shoulder issues here and a very easy stretch or exercise to help prevent them.

Yeah I got a minor impingement from weight machines a year or so ago...just imbalanced workouts and it seems pretty much like what he said. Had to balance myself out by working my lats with dumbbells a bit and it went away. It was enough to make me take a few weeks off of disc golf, as I was cautious from seeing what happened to Schusterick.

I haven't had any shoulder issues ever from FH. But Eagle does have a good 100' on me...

Latest posts