• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Eagle McMahon's Shoulder impingement

Eagle's BH doesn't recoil the rear leg like that, it everts forward like 6-12" before it might ever recoil back. His back foot on his FH basically stays in place and then actually backs away.

Hmm...I can see that. His rear femur/knee still move forward under him in his FH shot, so is some of this maybe due to the direction of the counter/shift and how centered you are in a rear arm FH swing vs. being more closed and the arm releasing earlier in a lead arm BH swing? Like I'm thinking a rear arm swing as in FH is more similar to a two handed baseball swing, and many pro batters have a similar thing going on with their rear toes essentially staying in the same place in space but the heel and knee move more targetward.

Going by feel, if I keep my rear toes in a similar place in FH it makes my torso swing forward way more kind of like how Eagle is so tilted. Whereas when I let my rear foot come forward as I normally do in my throw, I feel more upright since my leg isn't way back there needing to be counterbalanced with my body forward.

Hmm...I can see that. His rear femur/knee still move forward under him in his FH shot, so is some of this maybe due to the direction of the counter/shift and how centered you are in a rear arm FH swing vs. being more closed and the arm releasing earlier in a lead arm BH swing? Like I'm thinking a rear arm swing as in FH is more similar to a two handed baseball swing, and many pro batters have a similar thing going on with their rear toes essentially staying in the same place in space but the heel and knee move more targetward.

Going by feel, if I keep my rear toes in a similar place in FH it makes my torso swing forward way more kind of like how Eagle is so tilted. Whereas when I let my rear foot come forward as I normally do in my throw, I feel more upright since my leg isn't way back there needing to be counterbalanced with my body forward.

Eagle always looks like he is throwing really hard with a lot of arm action and his rear knee doesn't really move forward behind the front knee like you see in Rick and Walter Johnson and me.

Hmm. Looks like you are correct with the grams a baseball weighs. For some reason they seemed a lot heavier than a golf disc to me. And I've played both sports so go figure (as John Candy would say) :doh: . As for Koling, idk. Some guys can get lucky and avoid injury while others get broken down. Will have to watch his form a little closer next time I watch a vid of him playing.

This is talked about a lot in baseball. It's not an exact science, but it's usually a pretty good indicator. Some guys have a "low effort" delivery. Think Justin verlander in baseball. They're not making jerky movements or really look like they're trying to put everything the have into every pitch.

Jermey kohling would be a good example of this in disc golf. On his forehands, he relies on his quick hips and overall power to get the job done.

Eagle on the other hand, is much more whip-like and generates a lot of his power through his arms. That sudden start/stop of his arm is what destroys baseball pitchers(this is partially the reason why curveballs have a bad stigma, because most young pitchers suddenly stop they're arm after they release a curveball).

Very generally speaking, the low effort guys(ala verlander) are the guys that have incredibly long lasting/relatively injury free careers. The guys that throw every pitch like it's their last(ala Tim lincicum), generally get more out of their body than they normally would, but break down faster.

Again, this isn't a hard and fast rule, but it usually is pretty solid in baseball. My belief is that this also applies to disc golf, but I obviously can't prove that

Very generally speaking, the low effort guys(ala verlander) are the guys that have incredibly long lasting/relatively injury free careers. The guys that throw every pitch like it's their last(ala Tim lincicum), generally get more out of their body than they normally would, but break down faster.

You didn't use Rob Dibble as a prime example of throwing every pitch like it's their last? Another good example would be John Rocker.

Both where basically done before their 30th birthday.

A lot of these comments are way too vague and assuming too much. Having the elbow by the side does not inherently put more strain on the elbow or shoulder. Not having enough shoulder ER ROM, having rounded shoulders (as mentioned previously)/poor posture, insufficient thoracic mobility, insufficient rotator cuff and/or parascapular strength/control, these are factors that can lead to these injuries.

Knock on wood...

I don't believe having "rounded" shoulders has anything to do with it. It's always been medically accepted that the throwing motion is not a "natural" movement of the shoulder or arm joints. It puts undue stress on those joints/muscles/ligaments when making a throwing motion. How many sports that involve throwing do you see anyone over 40 playing and how many young pros have you seen throw their arms out young in a sport like baseball? While a hard BH is not exactly a "natural" movement either, it is a LOT less stressful on joints and other tissues than the FH. Won't even touch on the aspects of overhand/tomahawk throwing. Good luck keeping your rotator cuff in working order if you want to use those throwing styles a lot.

Been playing a couple decades. Predominantly sidearm and overhands with backhands for

some approach and most putts. Every human being is unique. Literally what works for some

does not always work for all etc. :thmbup:

Wonder if finally getting corrective lenses is going to alter his game at all...

Doc, don't forget to dumb some of those PT terms down a bit for us-"Not having enough shoulder ER ROM"?

Very Interesting...

Their near carbon copy body types. Long strong legs. Relatively small upperbody. They both broke the rule of never throw more than 80 percent.

This is what I fear for eagle..

I was never the tallest bloke on the baseball team, but was a pitcher. My build is the opposite,

shorter, stronger legs and the torso length of someone about 6' 2". Overall height in throwing

well seems to differentiate from person to person. Look at Emerson Keith, he is short in

stature and lower in weight, but can throw disc with the best of the pros. Ancient hunters

needed to throw accurately in order to hunt, eat and survive.

2 more of the longest forehand throwers with the same late elbow cock technique and shoulder injury.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 5.14.35 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 5.14.35 PM.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 412
Reading all these made me worry for a second because I get my longest drives forehand.

Then I thought about how far I throw and how often I play and I figure I'm good for another couple decades.

Nate Perkins - "Notice how close Eagle's elbow is to his body and far back the disc is":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DLtfOP3Ymg#t=57m30s

Will S - "keep the elbow tight to the body":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KfK98MTb-k&t=4m35s

Nate Sexton - "Really want to get the elbow in":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ6Wutvn4Mg#t=3m15s

------------------------------------------------------------

Compared to Wysocki, elbow never close to the body:

I love how the pros give clinics and tell people to keep their wrist up through the throw, but they themselves roll their wrist over to achieve maximum power most of the time. Slow the video down and you absolutely see the wrist roll. True sidearm power comes when you learn to roll the wrist on max distance shots. I don't roll the wrist on shorter shots or when flicking mids or putters. They should be more honest at clinics.

2 more of the longest forehand throwers with the same late elbow cock technique and shoulder injury.
attachment.php

Seth and PE trainers are groovy and all, but why isn't the first thought (when it comes to your livelihood) in regards to possible career ending injury, pain, etc, to go see a real doctor? :wall:

Seth and PE trainers are groovy and all, but why isn't the first thought (when it comes to your livelihood) in regards to possible career ending injury, pain, etc, to go see a real doctor? :wall:

straight up

especially all the grinding it does on the joints and muscles

Either you're being facetious, or you're being an A-hole. Either way I'm disappointed that you're getting likes.

Brother Dave is getting likes because the science behind the Red Meat giving people cancer was proved false by many scientists. It was how the meat was raised as an animal that has caused the problems. However I have heard of some runners and other endurance sports even a few in baseball that do not eat meat and some that are completely vegan and are fine. It is the making sure you are getting enough Iron in the diet as well as Calcium and Protein if full on vegan that is the main concern. I am not Vegan, like meat too much to stop and when I have I feel off but for some people even in sports not eating meat or very little works for them.