• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Eagle vs TeeBird

Which one fits my bag better? (Check sig)

• Total voters
Well it doesn't have an X or an L on it so I can't say for sure unless one or the other is absent of the X or L nomenclature. It's just marked E, I think I could be wrong though in all honesty and it's out in the car right now and I'm in bed already so I'm not getting up to get it. I don't really know anything about the intricacies of eagles. And it's 172. I don't think I'm quite ready to part with it yet cause I just can't say I've given the eagle a fair shot, I mean one round come one Rome wasn't built in a day.

When you have a chance tomorrow run your finger down the wing. If on the underside, near the very outer edge, it has a notch like a Teebird, then it is an X mold. If it is smooth like a Leopard, it is an L mold.

I'm pretty sure all Star Eagles are Eagle-X. Post a pic of these Star ELs for those of us who are skeptical.

PS - I hate Innova for this kind of crap. I like Eagles (the real ones, not the junk EL), but I will switch to a different disc if they are actually doing this.

I'm pretty sure all Star Eagles are Eagle-X. Post a pic of these Star ELs for those of us who are skeptical.

PS - I hate Innova for this kind of crap. I like Eagles (the real ones, not the junk EL), but I will switch to a different disc if they are actually doing this.

I wouldn't worry about having to switch to a different disc, the one I just got still has patent numbers on it, so I'd assume it was just an older one they had laying around. I'll see what I can do about posting picks tomorrow

My buddy just picked up a Star L mold for me at USDGC. He throws X's and knows the difference. I didn't know they existed until he asked me if I wanted it. I guess he asked Henry Childres and he said they have produced a few runs of them.

When you have a chance tomorrow run your finger down the wing. If on the underside, near the very outer edge, it has a notch like a Teebird, then it is an X mold. If it is smooth like a Leopard, it is an L mold.

A leopard wing is not flat and smooth.

It also has a notch/bead.

It does have the notch. I think that the reason if thought it wasn't an X is cause it didn't seem as overstable as I initially expected it to be.

A leopard wing is not flat and smooth.

It also has a notch/bead.

My apologies if my statement was wrong, I haven't thrown or held a Leopard in a long time, I didn't think they had any notches, but I could be wrong.

@depster: If it has the notch it is definitely an X mold. I don't think the current runs of Star Eagles are as overstable as some people think. The 11x flat Eagle-X's were very beefy, but I personally don't think the current run is THAT overstable.

Does no one carry both in their bag? I carry a variety of champ teebirds and tl's that do most of my fairway work, but I also keep a couple of almost new max weight eagle l's for tight turnovers that I want to fade back or fall down hard and for utility shots like thumbers and tomahawks. Once they quit fading the right way I use them as hazard discs where I would throw a tb.

I throw a tb for almost any straight shots that are too long for a roc and too short for an orc. However, I have never found a teebird that would fade back from a turnover quite like these el's do, or act so predictably for utility shots. They are the super flat 11x EL. I have some eagle x's but I don't have the snap to throw them backhand and have them land where I want (teebird usually does it for me just fine). I would rather grab one of my heaviest tb's or throw the el a bit too hard.

My apologies if my statement was wrong, I haven't thrown or held a Leopard in a long time, I didn't think they had any notches, but I could be wrong.

@depster: If it has the notch it is definitely an X mold. I don't think the current runs of Star Eagles are as overstable as some people think. The 11x flat Eagle-X's were very beefy, but I personally don't think the current run is THAT overstable.

True dat lol

Eagle vs. Teebird

I love my eagle and throw it as much as possible. I've got a 171g Star Eagle that I can throw straight and long. I recently lost a 150g Champion Teebird that i could throw just as well. I would honestly just look for one that you liked the looks of because I don't think you could go wrong either way

Does no one carry both in their bag?
I'm struggling with that question. I think I'm going to end up with all three, subject to beating in my Eagle. Basically, my thoughts on Leo v. Teebird is that while a TB can finish right or turn right (thrown flat when seasoned, it will start to flip over and then hold the right-flying line), it is much too easy to overcook a Teebird and send it into the ground. Leo shouldn't do that.

I believe you, but I am disappointed, especially with that 2-color stamp (indicating that it is from a new run).

Innova - you should have to get this disc approved. It is NOT AN EAGLE!

I'm struggling with that question. I think I'm going to end up with all three, subject to beating in my Eagle. Basically, my thoughts on Leo v. Teebird is that while a TB can finish right or turn right (thrown flat when seasoned, it will start to flip over and then hold the right-flying line), it is much too easy to overcook a Teebird and send it into the ground. Leo shouldn't do that.

IMHO it's better to get a few of the same disc weight color everything. When I first get them throw them in a field flat and as hard as possible to see which are going to be more naturally overstable and understable then beat them in accordingly. It just helps me psychologically to have the same feel for different shots. Also it's cut down on my release issues.

It's fascinating how quickly people demonize Innova and throw out good flyers because of a blurry pic and stamp aesthetics