• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Early August disc golf trip

fastdds

Please suggest a USA destination for two Californians to go on three/four day trip to explore disc courses.
Last summer we flew to Minneapolis (thanks for the suggestion last year) and we throughly enjoyed throwing plastic into ponds.
Trying to avoid extreme heat and humidity. Proximity to major airport is a plus.
We have also been to Oregon and played Milo etc…
Considering Washington state (not as far) vs Maine (far and longer drive from Boston airport).
Thanks for the advice.

G

The NC/TN mountains have some excellent courses and are much cooler than the rest of the Southeast. Plus, the drives from course to course are scenic.

On the other hand, not as easy to fly into as a major city.

You might want to look into the Philly area. Never been there myself, but there's lots of good looking options over there. Pittsburgh is solid AF too. Denver, North Idaho, Atlanta, Virginia, Charlotte, etc...

Lots of options.

I lived in New England (Foxboro area) for 5 years, gets just as hot and humid as almost everywhere else in August. Maybe you get lucky and have a day or two of upper 70's with low humidity. Maine won't be that much different, Portland isn't that far north to be much cooler than Boston. You'd have to go north of Augusta or Bangor to find the cooler weather. There are tons of options for Boston and Portland as far as courses go and some good courses in between as well.

FWIW, Logan Airport in Boston SUCKS. Really annoying to get in and out of. Just a heads up.

I would throw a vote in for Colorado but you have to go the foothills and play the awesome mountain courses. Almost impossible to play them in the snow and winter months so summertime is ideal. Little to no humidity and DIA isnt that far away.

Grand Rapids, MI. Bunch of courses close by. Flip is about an hour north, the Mason County courses a bit north from there, and there's a butt-ton of breweries for when daylight disappears

As a 3 day trip, Grand Rapids is actually not bad. GR is an easy airport. Fallasburg, Johnson and Brewer are my favorites. But don't make those the priority. Head the hour north, hit Flip City then Mason county and other Ludington courses.

If it gets hot, go jump in a lake... The entire length of the east coast of Lake Michigan is perfect sand and is quite gorgeous. It should be warm enough by august - unless it just flipped, then its freezing.

And yeah, the brewery situation in michigan is out of control.

I would throw a vote in for Colorado but you have to go the foothills and play the awesome mountain courses. Almost impossible to play them in the snow and winter months so summertime is ideal. Little to no humidity and DIA isnt that far away.

This is high on my list. I had a friend that kept talking about it. Maybe I gotta boot him into action...

Check out the Mason County Campground in Ludington, Mi. It is located in the heart of all the great West Michigan courses and even has a small technical 18 holer in the campground. Cabins there are $50 per night. It's a traveling disc golfers dream.

I'm from Southern California and I have done roughly 20 disc golf trips over the last 12 years. I've done it all, the fly into a city and play there all week to fly and drive everywhere. Below are a few cities I have flown into and played a ton of great golf in over the years.

Portland: tons of great courses, breweries and food
Seattle: weather, decent amount of golf, unique options with ferries to courses and history
Denver: weather, lots of breweries, hour drive to mountain golf thats unmatched
Austin: hot but tons of great courses, beer, tacos everywhere, bbq, and cheap gas
Houston: close to the water, great golf, close to Louisiana, and lots of cool dg clubs
Atlanta: humid, but lots of fun courses and southern food
Orlando: weather is good, beach close, plenty of solid courses, lots of cool travel spots and site seeing
Tampa Bay: amazing beer, food trucks, great courses, tons to do, beach/gulf
Charlotte: The Mecca, top golf destination!!! nothing more needed
Chicago: great pizza, lots of golf close, but toll roads suck, beer is solid, weather could be humid
Minneapolis: tons of golf, juicy lucy (try it), gas is cheap, wisconsin next door, food is great, beer is ok
Cincinnati: 4-5 top caliber courses in the world that are very close
Flagstaff: weather is nice, site seeing is great, golf is limited to 5-6 solid courses though.

Latest posts