• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Confessions of Disc Golf Shoe Addict

What!???4 months!??? Either you didn't get vibram soles, play more then 14 rounds/week, over 400lbs., or your doing something wrong. ( no offense but I've owned over ten pairs of keens/merrells, sold/traded the keens, and play more then the average bear-9 rounds in three days isn't uncommon. )

My Keen's started to fall apart after about 8 months of heavy use. Not just disc golfing...there was a fair amount of hiking as well. I still wear them for daily stuff, but the watertight lining tore near the soles long ago, and the soles are also separating from the rest of the shoe.

This is off of Ken's website. He wears Nike crosstrainers. Has anyone tried these.

Ken,
What kind of shoes do you wear? Do you wear different shoes depending on the conditions?
-Rodney Gardner, West Des Moines, IA

I prefer Nike cross training style shoes. They generally have a very nice wide front for maximum stability. The tread is perfect for Disc Golf. When I first started playing I used cleats on natural tees that were wet and/or muddy, and sneakers on concrete tees. Now, I really don't feel that I need to change shoes and all and I've gotten away from cleats. When it becomes muddy I just slow down my footwork. One thing I want to add is that I like to lace up tight during a round so there isn't any wobble between the foot and shoe.

Under ideal conditions I prefer Adidas "all terrain" running shoes, although New Balance will do in a pinch. For some reason, the Adidas just hug my feet best.

I have a pair of Columbia Hiking Boots that have been great for really hilly courses and in wettish/shallow snow weather.

And for snow discin' in the deep stuff this winter, I have a pair of old, high, Thinsulate work boots that have done the trick OK. They're not as comfortable, but the snow provides extra cushioning anyway.

I am currently using the Vasque Rangers. I got them on sale at Gander Mountain last year for $79.99. I went with Vasque because they are made by Redwing. My last pair of Redwing work boots lasted me 11 years so I was definately going to try their hiking boots. The Rangers have Goretex liners but they don't have the Vibram soles. The soles were a little slick at first, but once they got scuffed in they seem to get better grip. I am definately going to try another pair with Vibram soles. The Goretex is awesome! My feet never get wet.

Attachments

• Vasque_Ranger_GTX_hiking_footwear_7214_450x450_L_S.jpg
    Vasque_Ranger_GTX_hiking_footwear_7214_450x450_L_S.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 9
I support your cause to find the perfect DG shoe. :clap:

I think my Merrell Chameleons would last forever if I only disc golfed in them but they're so comfy I wear them all the time. :(

I really like the Chameleon line as well. After wearing those other shoes feel like they don't fit my feet. A couple years ago I decided they were the best and bought several pair, which I later came to regret...

For one, that Vibram traction sucks. It wears down for me pretty fast. Then you have to throw from some wet grass and watch out! Also, I found that after wearing nothing but the Chameleons for a time they started to hurt my feet. I was getting pain on the outside of my big toe joint, like the front of my foot was being drawn together uncomfotably. I wore these shoes all the time for a year or so. It got to the point where my feet would just ache after a two day tournament.

All Merrells, or should I just say all shoes, wear out for me completely in about 4 months. At this point the traction is compromised, the fabric has holes in the back of the heels, and the shoe is streched out from constantly ripping discs from teepads.

My new conclusion is that there is no one best shoe. Shoes are not custumized to are feet, so they all fit wrong in some way. They all wear out fast as well. So now I try not to wear the same shoes all the time, instead rotate a couple of totally different kinds. This has helped me to be able to wear the Chameleons again. This also helps shoes last much longer. I also shop at the Sport's Authority. I try to always get shoes on sale around 60-70 dollars and I buy a $10 year long replacement warranty. I bought some Salomans in Oct and I just took them back and got a replacement. The replacement is credit, so you can get something different. I just got a pair of Columbia's and bought the $10 replacement plan again...So I'll end up getting like 3 pairs of shoes this year for $30 total. If you don't like them you can just wear them out fast and get new ones. If you do like them you can rotate and make them last close to a year and then replace them.

My Salomon Extend Low's have been real work horses for me and held up great for well over a year. The mesh part of the shoe has finally given way and worn through so there are now small holes there where the shoe flexes. So it's time to bust out the second of the three pairs that I bought when they were on close out. :)

GGGT has some decent specials right now on the Bite shoes if anyone is a fan of those.

I think Merrells are the only major brand I have yet tried out and will probably give them a shot once these Vasques where out. I agree about there not being a perfect shoe, but Ill be damned if I still dont try and find one lol.

Latest posts