• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Elephant Walk Drill

sidewinder22

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Drill to help make weightshift and swinging as easy as walking. This drill really helps on uphill tees or lies like this hole where walking targetward makes it hard to get forward balanced on front leg. If you are walking sideways along with the hill then it is easier to shift forward and balance on to front leg.

You should be planting the leg that you are swinging into before you start swinging. So going into backswing plant rear leg and then swing back, then as swing transitions/pauses slightly at the top, plant front leg and then swing forward. The momentum of the backswing should help your front leg step forward and vice versa with forward swing help rear leg step forward.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:
This looks like it can really help with my setup. It almost looks as if the arm swing is similar to a sprinter pump when he runs, or arms swinging when walking in a straight line-is that a fair analogy?

This drill has helped my timing so much. Especially if I'm throwing from a closed stance. Also, that reverse elephant walk is really helpful for the backswing. Combining the reverse elephant walk with the inside swing drill has allowed me to get a really consistent backswing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do we get a peanut once we master how to walk like an elephant?

Okay, so I've seen this elephant drill a bit now and I'm confused on what it's supposed to teach? It appears to me that it sort of teaches weight transfer but the overall arc of the arm with throwing the disc appears counterproductive.

Okay, so I've seen this elephant drill a bit now and I'm confused on what it's supposed to teach? It appears to me that it sort of teaches weight transfer but the overall arc of the arm with throwing the disc appears counterproductive.

I guess whatever floats one's boat. Doesn't seem very efficient and it doesn't follow a power flight path of acceleration.
You think pendulums are inefficient? :rolleyes:

You think pendulums are inefficient? :rolleyes:

So I have that kind of wide narrow wide delivery and that creates kind of a pendulum effect but it's linear to the direction it is accelerating into release. The problem with the round the click pendulum is that it puts the arm on an arc that's not driving the disc straight into release. That's not efficient. Almost every pro doesn't throw pendulum style. Plus, it promotes that rounding effect.

it doesn't follow a power flight path of acceleration.

What do you mean by this?

So I have that kind of wide narrow wide delivery

Find someone to take a video and help you post it if you don't know how. What you feel you are doing and what you actually are doing may not match.

Almost every pro doesn't throw pendulum style. Plus, it promotes that rounding effect.

Focus on the concept. Watch more throws (google search for "lead card driving disc golf") and watch the upper arm and shoulder angles. Learn what rounding actually means.

What do you mean by this?

Find someone to take a video and help you post it if you don't know how. What you feel you are doing and what you actually are doing may not match.

Focus on the concept. Watch more throws (google search for "lead card driving disc golf") and watch the upper arm and shoulder angles. Learn what rounding actually means.
Time has proven the power and distance in a disc throw comes from uncoiling the body and reaching relatively straight back and then bringing that disc on a relatively straight line into its release. That's what I mean by that power flight path.
This is wide, narrow, wide. Also wide rail. My throw is similar in starting out wide then bringing it in close. This helps me feel the weight of the disc as it pendulum from wide into narrow.
https://youtu.be/2NNjW2dHoj8

That motion you are speaking of promotes rounding because you are telling your arm to start accelerating from the reach back, in that same circular arc instead of from the power pocket and straight forward. 98 percent of pros don't throw like that.

Time has proven the power and distance in a disc throw comes from uncoiling the body and reaching relatively straight back and then bringing that disc on a relatively straight line into its release. That's what I mean by that power flight path.
This is wide, narrow, wide. Also wide rail. My throw is similar in starting out wide then bringing it in close. This helps me feel the weight of the disc as it pendulum from wide into narrow.
https://youtu.be/2NNjW2dHoj8

That motion you are speaking of promotes rounding because you are telling your arm to start accelerating from the reach back, in that same circular arc instead of from the power pocket and straight forward. 98 percent of pros don't throw like that.

Are you saying a continuous relatively straight line from reachback to release?

Again, focus on the concepts. No one throws with exactly the motions in the various drills. They are meant to help feel various parts of the throw that one might be having trouble feeling.

For example, elephant walk drill to get down the timing of swinging once you are on the leg you are swinging into.

Pendulum for various things; when you get it right (especially along with the concept behind the elephant drill) it will actually decrease rounding by keeping the front shoulder from collapsing. It also helps to get more of the free flowing swinging feel rather than the mechanical robotic throw that can come from trying to "glue together" various parts of the throw. Gets you swinging rather than dragging.

Once you figure out how the pendulum fits in, when you watch all those pros throwing again you will see it.

This thread has a lot that should help: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134415