• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

End of Jump Putting as we know it

The size of the head doesn't do much at all to help someone hit further, it just makes the head more forgiving to off-center hits. A lot of Tour pros don't even use a head as large as is allowed. I am no Tour pro and my driver isn't even the max of 460cc. The smaller profile at times can actually be hit further because it cuts through the air quicker. Limiting the head size hurts the average golfer much more than the Tour pro.

Also, square grooves help out of the rough, not the bunkers. The type and density of the sand has more to do with the spin out of a bunker than the grooves. Your point about it is still valid, because that only applies to the pros and club manufacturers (for now).

Now you know why I play disc golf instead of normal golf. My clubs get used about 3 times a year on an actual course.

In any case, just because outlawing jump putting would make it harder to approach doesn't mean we shouldn't do it. And those who say we might as well go back to lids and tone poles are completely missing the point. Just as the PDGA can restrict technology (or even push tech backwards) to make the game more fair consistent, disc golf can and should do the same thing. Jump putting is detrimental to the sport because it is impossible to call fairly, and in my opinion additionally detrimental because it has absolutely zero decorum.

... and the most famous video of Dave making a walking putt...

Walk putting seems like the most logical response. At least it isn't difficult to judge, even if it looks a little silly still.

Picture related.

Attachments

• ministrysillywalks.jpg
    ministrysillywalks.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 13
I'm just a crappy recreational player, but why isn't a walking put illegal? IT seems like he is in front of the lie with the putter still in his hands. Bad video, and you'd probably need slow-mo to figure it all out. I wouldn't call it on anyone either way, but couldn't they eliminate the issues by having the player simply remain behind the lie until the disc comes to rest in the basket or on the ground? Start the goofy jump or walk a few feet in front of your line, and end up behind it. Seems simple.

But like I said, I am a crappy AM.

in the rule book under General:

(1) When a group cannot reach a majority decision regarding a ruling, the benefit of the doubt
shall be given to the thrower.

To hard to tell that split second so give the player the benefit of the doubt,

Exactly, it should only be an issue/called when it's blatantly obvious, like their feet are past their marker when released. If you need a high speed camera to call it, it shouldn't be an issue/called. FWIW I have high speed footage(240fps) of some putt jumps from the Patapsco Picnic and I can't definitively call of any them illegal even looking at them frame by frame. In fact, most the evidence is in favor of them being legal. None of the the putt jumps went in the basket either.

I don't understand why some some people get their panties in a bunch about jump putts. I don't think there's any real advantage if they actually release in the air. The other thing to consider is the steep terrain and obstacles we sometimes have to deal with, and the only way to get momentum is to jump. There are situations where I can't swing my arm around safely or physically, or take a step backwards from my lie.

I'm just a crappy recreational player, but why isn't a walking put illegal? IT seems like he is in front of the lie with the putter still in his hands. Bad video, and you'd probably need slow-mo to figure it all out. I wouldn't call it on anyone either way, but couldn't they eliminate the issues by having the player simply remain behind the lie until the disc comes to rest in the basket or on the ground? Start the goofy jump or walk a few feet in front of your line, and end up behind it. Seems simple.

It's not about breaking the plane, it's about contact in front of your lie before you release the disc. It would definitely not work to tie it to the disc coming to rest, or people could do falling putts from anywhere as long as they windmilled their arms and kept from totally falling for a second while the disc is in flight as opposed to the current rule that requires demonstration of balance before advancing toward the hole inside the circle.

I'm not sure Paul Hogan "that's not a knife, now here's a knife" played golf that well ...maybe "uncle" Ben?

I don't know about you, but I feel a lot less discouraged after comparing my scores to Paul's, rather than Ben's.

I always thought Feldberg's walk through putt was illegal.
I do jump putt from time to time but I wouldn't miss it in my game if it were gone.
But if I was a top pro and you forced me to change my game I would be unhappy.

If it was illegal I'm sure he would get called on it all the time which, to my knowledge doesn't happen.

feldbergs has been rehearsed so many time he can get away with it legally no foul , its the people who try to emulate his throw who foul.

Finals of a 2011 major. In realtime, you can't tell for sure, but it doesn't "feel" like the right timing. Why are we being asked to enforce this dumb rule? If I really wanted to be making calls like this, I'd get a job as a first base umpire. I'd rather be playing golf.

Attachments

• jump1.jpg
    jump1.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 59
  • jump2.jpg
    jump2.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 59
I am not in support of totally outlawing jump putting. To me, it is about appropriate positioning of the circle. I wouldn't be opposed to moving the circle back to around 20m. Jump putting is a great advantage to the top pros but from that distance, is difficult for anyone to perform with high accuracy. It is my feeling that the game loses credibility when pros are shooting <= -13,-14, etc below par on courses. I know jump putting is only a slight contributor to this, but increasing the circle keeps an exciting part of the game which many pros have mastered while increasing the difficulty of putting.

The problem with exact measurement of the circle is still there, but perhaps it falls under the "judgment calls" that are present within every sport. 2 cents

Finals of a 2011 major. In realtime, you can't tell for sure, but it doesn't "feel" like the right timing. Why are we being asked to enforce this dumb rule? If I really wanted to be making calls like this, I'd get a job as a first base umpire. I'd rather be playing golf.

Is the mini by his back foot? how in the hell is that legal?

Too much common sense.

Is the mini by his back foot? how in the hell is that legal?

i watched Ben make that throw; hole 12 at USADGC, jump putt for a 2 and he almost got it. i remember thinking 'hmmm, that was kinda iffy', but in real time it's very hard to be certain.

(1) If done correctly, when the disc is released on the walking putt the back foot is behind the mini, and the front foot is still in the air. So no part of the player is touching the ground closer than the mini. (The front foot in the air is no different than the arm in the air, which is also in front of the mini but not touching the ground).

(2) Basing the player's movement on when the disc comes to rest would be tricky on some fast greens. Should we have a player freeze in place while a missed putt rolls and winds and totters for 30 seconds? Perhaps, were a rule change like this proposed, a better option would be to stay behind the mini until the disc hits or passes the basket. Or maybe hits the basket, ground, or another object.

(1) If done correctly, when the disc is released on the walking putt the back foot is behind the mini, and the front foot is still in the air. So no part of the player is touching the ground closer than the mini. (The front foot in the air is no different than the arm in the air, which is also in front of the mini but not touching the ground).

(2) Basing the player's movement on when the disc comes to rest would be tricky on some fast greens. Should we have a player freeze in place while a missed putt rolls and winds and totters for 30 seconds? Perhaps, were a rule change like this proposed, a better option would be to stay behind the mini until the disc hits or passes the basket. Or maybe hits the basket, ground, or another object.
Keep both feet behind the mini and we won't have to worry about "if done correctly". Feldberg could do his same putt one step back.

Keep both feet behind the mini and we won't have to worry about "if done correctly". Feldberg could do his same putt one step back.

Exactly...I say that you shouldn't be able to cross your marker with either foot.

Until the other day, I just realized that you can cross your mini on a second drive after the disc is released. I did just fine keeping my foot behind the marker, even when doing an X-step.

Latest posts