• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

End of Jump Putting as we know it

I'm going with the cylinder, though, as an extension of the circle concept. Wish I'd thought of that at the time. Probably have to define the center as an axis running vertically through the pole, or something like that......

Or just stick with the current rule about supporting points.

Oh yeah, I think it's a terrible idea to try to make calls on a body part breaking an invisible cylinder in the air, I was just being a math nerd. :D

I was just thinking of the sphere, centered on the base of the pole, and how much harder it would be to get someone to second your call.

It would also be awkward to have a point defining that sphere that you're not actually aiming toward imo.

replace the mini marker with a meter stick instead, thats your LOP, you can go edge to edge left or right and anywhere behind it up to 1m

Body parts

Oh yeah, I think it's a terrible idea to try to make calls on a body part breaking an invisible cylinder in the air, I was just being a math nerd. :D

Just allow body parts to cross the lie outside the circle, but make people's feet come to rest behind the lie. If your arm or leg swings in the air over the spot that's fine. If you want to walk or jump that's fine, as long as you end up behind the lie. Free up space behind the lie so people can throw or putt however they want to.

If I take a run up for a BH or thumber from beyond 10Ms and step over my lie it is a foot fault correct? So wouldn't a jump or walk putt be the same?

I need to go play a tourney and run an experiment on all this. My score would suck, but it would be fun to see how many foot faults I could get called on me.

Replace all minis with animated tesseracts.

Do NOT cross the tesseract! You will be doomed to spend eternity in a vacuum, where the only sound you'll hear is that of infinite Coldplay songs.

Just allow body parts to cross the lie outside the circle, but make people's feet come to rest behind the lie. If your arm or leg swings in the air over the spot that's fine. If you want to walk or jump that's fine, as long as you end up behind the lie. Free up space behind the lie so people can throw or putt however they want to.

If I take a run up for a BH or thumber from beyond 10Ms and step over my lie it is a foot fault correct? So wouldn't a jump or walk putt be the same?

I need to go play a tourney and run an experiment on all this. My score would suck, but it would be fun to see how many foot faults I could get called on me.

Are you suggesting banning follow-throughs on all fairway shots? On long multi-shot holes, that would kill my knees.

BAM, right there.. do whatever you want (jumping jacks for all I care) before you release the disc BEHIND your lie..

Are you suggesting banning follow-throughs on all fairway shots? On long multi-shot holes, that would kill my knees.

why not include follow through behind your lie?

IMHO, you should be able to use as much distance behind your lie as needed (although this does bring up other ruling topics, but in regards to rulings on stance/foot fault violations)

Last edited:
No. But isn't it a fault if you follow through over your lie? I thought you had to throw and maintain a position behind your lie. Am I allowed to take a small run up, launch a throw, and then follow through past my lie on the fairway? Damn! No wonder this game is so tough. I've been doing it wrong. :wall:

Ken Climo here I come.

why not include follow through behind your lie?

Huh? If I'm running or stepping up to a full-force throw behind my mini, the only place my body wants to follow-through is in front of my mini.

I'm not clear what's being proposed here---either "stand and deliver", or moving the 10-meter circle out much further? Or I'm just confused. Again.

No. But isn't it a fault if you follow through over your lie? I thought you had to throw and maintain a position behind your lie. Am I allowed to take a small run up, launch a throw, and then follow through past my lie on the fairway? Damn! No wonder this game is so tough. I've been doing it wrong. :wall:

Ken Climo here I come.

Yes, you are allowed to follow through anywhere outside the 10-meter circle.

The rule book isn't that lengthy a read, really.

Huh? If I'm running or stepping up to a full-force throw behind my mini, the only place my body wants to follow-through is in front of my mini.

No, I'm proposing that at any point on any shot you should never cross the line.. it might mean you need to take your shot a few feet early to compensate for your follow through.

No, I'm proposing that at any point on any shot you should never cross the line.. it might mean you need to take your shot a few feet early to compensate for your follow through.

So you'd allow people to release, say, 5' behind the mini as long as, on their follow-through, they ran up to it, but not beyond? 10'? 20'? Could they release 5' behind the mini and not run up to it? This could be advantageous on wooded courses. But it would definitely be easy to call.

There are definitely some spots I've been in where throwing from 20' behind my lie would have saved me at least a stroke, I can make it look like I have a 20' follow through...

In all seriousness, I fail to see the issue with a follow through beyond your lie, I've seen lots of people who don't hit the exact spot behind their lie, but none who step in front of the lie before releasing on a fairways shot, seems like a non-problem that doesn't need fixing.

Ken Climo here I come.

Yeah, now stop calling me for foot faults you bastard! :thmbdown: :p

Nope. New rules should be tested at the biggest events if they're intended to solve perceived rules problems. If it works or doesn't work there then that knowledge can extend to lower events. For example, the sudden death rules in the NFL were first tried in the playoffs and have now moved to regular season games.

Nope, NFL looked silly testing rules in the playoffs as well.

.....seems like a non-problem that doesn't need fixing.

That'd be my feeling about this whole thread. If I was given Absolute Power to remake the rulebook---a mistake the PDGA hasn't even hinted at making, by the way---I'd have a lot to do before I ever got around to worrying about jump-putts or Feldberg-walking-putts.

So you'd allow people to release, say, 5' behind the mini as long as, on their follow-through, they ran up to it, but not beyond? 10'? 20'? Could they release 5' behind the mini and not run up to it? This could be advantageous on wooded courses. But it would definitely be easy to call.

20', 10'.. that may be a bit much, but a designated area behind the disc could offer the opportunity to shoot before your lie with follow-through is what I'm talking about.

It just seems that since the sport has become more and more competitive, people are pushing the rules harder too. Therefore rules must become stricter and more defined....

HENCE THIS DISCUSSION where people are allowed to have varying opinions allowing other options to be considered in rulings.