• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Enough of DGPlanets exclusive coverage of worlds!!!

I'd love to see some of the videographers work together on coverage. Have smashboxx, for example, do the live stream. But instead of Terry huffing and puffing in between holes, we kick it to a pre-produced Jomez video about one of the players, or McFly covering the second card. It would take someone back in a production truck to produce it, but DD had someone in the truck for GBO, I believe, and their coverage was excellent.

Instead of exclusive rights and competition, cooperation might yield the highest quality. But that will take putting aside a lot of egos and worrying about who gets credit, and that's always a difficult task (especially in disc golf).

we can only dream. that's like a mixed bag though it seems at this point.

peeps were worried about a promo video "rights"....

I used to watch Mcfly's videos when he posted them to his youtube channel, he hasn't posted a video in 7 months...

I have tried to watch live coverage, meh. Maybe if the commentating was better.

Marty is now the official videographer for Prodigy. Check out the Prodigy Disc youtube channel for his work now.

Why don't we all chip in and pay DGptv NOT to broadcast worlds and allow everyone else to do it. Pretty sure they could get more donations for that than if they are doing the filming

All I want is to watch disc golf events through drone cameras. Seriously, I would give my testicles for this to be a reality.

While I was watching the lead card at maple hill I noticed a drone buzzing around a couple of times. No idea what crew was controlling it, but it was quieter that expected. Each time I thought I was hearing it off in the distance and it ended up being much closer than expected once I spotted it.

Batteries are improving, cameras and processors and WiFi antennae are always shrinking and getting cheaper (how bout that new gopro ice cube camera?). As the camera related bits draw less energy, they should get even quieter too since drone makers can sacrifice a little lift per watt in exchange for more silent propeller designs.

Only a matter of time...

drones during events

The PDGA owns a Phantom 2 and I am the "pilot". It will never be used during competition because of noise and distraction. Not by me anyway. The only way it would be fair would be if I was able to fly the drone at the same height over the same area during the entire round, so that every player had to deal with it instead of just a few. We use it to get aerial shots of courses and events that are not part of the actual tournament in play.

The PDGA owns a Phantom 2 and I am the "pilot". It will never be used during competition because of noise and distraction. Not by me anyway. The only way it would be fair would be if I was able to fly the drone at the same height over the same area during the entire round, so that every player had to deal with it instead of just a few. We use it to get aerial shots of courses and events that are not part of the actual tournament in play.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: Thank you, Sir!

No Drones Here

SmashBoxxTV had the use of drone for a very brief time frame but then this happened:

https://youtu.be/SkCLo5FV3Fk

However, even if we had one up and running we will NOT be using one during any live feeds. I feel there are far too many challenges and issues with them at this point and between safety and distractions - they simply are NOT worth the risk. We have 99 other things I would want to improve upon before we worry about a live drone feed. That's just me though.

As for coverage of the event. I was informed very early in the year (Feb I believe) by Brian Graham of the PDGA that Disc Golf Planet planned on doing 4 live shows this year in addition to their Beach Sports / Emerging Sports cable pieces.

Their contract gives them first choice at all NTs and Majors and they would cover National Collegiate Championships, Pro Worlds and USDGC along with one other event. That's how the beginning of this year went down. SmashBoxxTV therefore had no plans to be at any of those events due to their exclusive online access.

I hope this clears up any speculation out there about us or our involvement.

While I was watching the lead card at maple hill I noticed a drone buzzing around a couple of times. No idea what crew was controlling it, but it was quieter that expected. Each time I thought I was hearing it off in the distance and it ended up being much closer than expected once I spotted it.

Batteries are improving, cameras and processors and WiFi antennae are always shrinking and getting cheaper (how bout that new gopro ice cube camera?). As the camera related bits draw less energy, they should get even quieter too since drone makers can sacrifice a little lift per watt in exchange for more silent propeller designs.

Only a matter of time...

Last edited:
You can easily fast forward though any live broadcast in a similar manner. Why would you sit though all of the nonsense watching it after it wasn't live? that's just weird.

Would you prefer to HEAR the results of the insert name of favorite sports championship here? Or would you rather watch a recording, without useless chatter, timeouts and commercials?

As for coverage of the event. I was informed very early in the year (Feb I believe) by Brian Graham of the PDGA that Disc Golf Planet planned on doing 4 live shows this year in addition to their Beach Sports / Emerging Sports cable pieces.

Their contract gives them first choice at all NTs and Majors and they would cover National Collegiate Championships, Pro Worlds and USDGC along with one other event. That's how the beginning of this year went down. SmashBoxxTV therefore had no plans to be at any of those events due to their exclusive online access.

I hope this clears up any speculation out there about us or our involvement.

Terry, this is the DGCR Forums. Brian could have banned you from all PDGA events and there would still be speculation on these boards as to whether or not you'd be filming.

Would you prefer to HEAR the results of the insert name of favorite sports championship here? Or would you rather watch a recording, without useless chatter, timeouts and commercials?

Well its called live enetetainment. With ANYTHING live you generally get a 1/3 of extra stuff and same goes for TV shows with heavy adds. Just be real lol.

Your one hour show or few hour baseball game isnt action packed from start to finish.......radio? LOL!

I've got a drone, and it is pretty noisy. I would think that would take away from the natural aspects that make me like disc golf. I do think they are well served for hole previews.

I just watched final rounds of EO on YouTube and enjoyed it. Fairly new to sport so really liked seeing the pros. Amazing shots mixed with some "tree slams" .

All I can tell you guys is if you don't like the status quo, join the PDGA, vote the existing board members out, and replace them with ones who will give you what you want.

Considering there's enough competition where exclusive rights have to be contracted in the first place, I just wonder if actual competitive bids were considered.

Bids?
Bwah hah hah hah.
Surely you're kidding.
If I'm not mistaken, the PDGA actually PAYS DGP to bring us that horrendous live feed and coverage and commentary. And the amount is fairly substantial ($50k?).

I'm not 100%, so please someone correct this if it is wrong.

Bids?
Bwah hah hah hah.
Surely you're kidding.
If I'm not mistaken, the PDGA actually PAYS DGP to bring us that horrendous live feed and coverage and commentary. And the amount is fairly substantial ($50k?).

Whatever the amount of money (I don't know the figures), the PDGA gives it to DGP is for more than just Worlds. It helps to underwrite the entire series of Emerging Sports Network programming. And it could very well be that that amount the PDGA would be paying for the Emerging Sports "sponsorship" is discounted in return for DGP covering the Worlds (eg. the PDGA pays $50K for $80K's worth of "sponsorship").

It's also entirely possible that the bid process occurred a few years ago (this is DGP's fifth year doing live coverage) before there was any competition (live streaming or youtube edited coverage). And in such a case, I'd imagine that contract is going to expire at some point.

Bids?
Bwah hah hah hah.
Surely you're kidding.

From what I have heard, those numbers are close. $3-4K per episode of their show and then some unknown amount for Worlds. But they still asked for 20 more VIP members today to upgrade their Livestream.com account to a version that allows embedding.

I hope they knock it out of the park this week. Set the bar higher for everyone.

Latest posts