• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Epic Road Trip - Colorado to New York

Exovel

Eagle Member
Okay, so my buddy just got a new job in White Plains, NY. And he currently lives in Fort Collins, CO.

We decided to switch back and forth with driving and play as many courses as we can in between. We're leaving early on a Thursday morning and have to be in White Plains for him to start work at 8am on the following Monday.

The current plan is to head north from Fort Collins to Cheyenne, WY and then take HWY 80 all the way to New York. That'll take us through Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and finally New York.

We're doing a ton of research, but we can't really deviate too much from I-80 to keep us on schedule. Still, I figure there are probably some of you out there more familiar with the areas we'll be passing through.

Anyone know of any can't-miss courses along the way?

Anyone know of any can't-miss courses along the way?

Good choice on I80. Bold courses are definties

Des Moines(IA):
Ewing*
Grandview*
Walnut Ridge
*5-10min from each other

Quad Cities(IA/IL):
Camden I & II
West Lake (will take you some time and may loose discs)
Prospect (have not played taking a trip down there tomorrow to play)
Middle (have not played taking a trip down there tomorrow to play)

Joliet(IL):
Highland
Channahon (play longs)
Trinity Links (beware that pond it eats'em)
West Lake (for ace run fun)

Crown Point (IN):
Lemon Lake Complex

Quad Cities(IA/IL):
Prospect (have not played taking a trip down there tomorrow to play)
Middle (have not played taking a trip down there tomorrow to play)

Let me know what you think of those two!

Wow. 26 hours straighter due east trip than i thought after looking at it on the map. I think if you plan on 8 hrs driving a day you should be fine getting there sunday night.

You might think about trying to get the Chicago area in one day. Then you have three days and only 800 miles left after that.

Also, pick out multiple options before you leave b/c you never know about the weather. Look at the 5 day forecast the week before your trip and see if you can hit an area with a couple good courses where the weather will be good.

Sorry, I haven't played much in that area of the country but I do love planning trips. Esp DG trips. Have fun!

Also, pick out multiple options before you leave b/c you never know about the weather. Look at the 5 day forecast the week before your trip and see if you can hit an area with a couple good courses where the weather will be good.

Yeah, we have been throwing around a lot of different options. We REALLY want to hit at least one course a state just to say we've done it. The only states I've ever played in are MO and CO, so it'll be cool to add so many more to the adventure.

We're also home brewers, so we want to try and squeeze in time for breweries as well. It's beginning to look more and more like several days of driving, disc, and beer... but no sleep.

If you were to go a little less than 2 hours out of your way the Columbus, OH area has some great courses.
Brent Hambrick Memorial DGC (regarded as the best, site of the Brent Hambrick Memorial Open)
Gordon Holton Memorial DGC (my personal favorite)
Simsbury DGC
Sunbury DGC
Lobdell Reserve DGC

I'd highly recommend Crown Point (IN) with 4 courses at the Lemon Lake Complex, about 15 min's from I-80/I-65. 3 Floyds micro brewery in Munster, IN is also very close by! You can buy cases there :)

I'd skip Ohio and play Moraine north of Pittsburgh, very near I-80.

Last edited:
Skip Lemon Lake and hit up Rogers Lakewood in NW Indiana instead. Closer to the highway, etc.

Woodlands is only 5 minutes (or less) off I-80 in Perrysburg, OH (just south of Toledo). Fairly open, so most of the difficulty comes from shifting wind.

Just got an update that my buddy's first day of work was moved back to Tuesday. I'm glad I hadn't bought my plane ticket back to Denver yet!

That gives us an extra day of disc golf adventures, so keep those suggestions coming if you have them.

Let me know what you think of those two!

Prospect was a fun course but not a course I would go out of my way to play again. Better then the grand majority of IL courses though.

Middle was boring. Lots of long holes with little shot shaping required. Straight is the general gist of the course layout. And the land use is terrible, basically the entire time we were playing we were questioning why they didn't use this feature or that one. It really is a GREAT piece of land with an average course sitting on it.

But Camden I & II are more than worth the detour.

Latest posts