• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Eric' ITB v.2017

eric40817

* Ace Member *
Going in to 2017 with the mostly the same setup as last year. I'll looking to replace a couple molds possibly, and try some new molds that I've had my eye on for a while. Right now heres what the Ranger bag looks like though:

Drivers:
Star Tern
G* Tern
Star Sandstrom Valkyrie
Pro Valkyrie
Lucid Felon
Champion Thunderbird
DX Thunderbird

Fairways:
Opto XXX
Icon Rival
TP Underworld
Opto Trident

Mids:
Champ Roc3
McPro Roc3
TP Tursas

Putters:
BT Hard Harp
Zero Medium Pure
Zero Hard Pure

I pulled the Saint Pro out - the Thunderbird takes care of those shots. I dropped the Judges for putting duties so the Pures because I get a much cleaner release so I'm going to give them more a chance. I put a Pro Wraith and a TP Northman ITB just to try out and see if I like them or if they'll have a place in my bag. I may a Pinnacle Rival to fill the gap between the XXX and the seasoned Icon Rival. My Tursas is getting pretty damn flippy. I may add another until the McPro loses a tad bit more stability, then at which time I'll either add my last fresh McPro to the bag, or drop them entirely for Claymores.

I've played a couple rounds this year so far on some pretty windy days and at courses that are much longer than the typical courses I play. This made me realize that although I may not need to bag more OS discs, I need to practice with them still, and be ready to add them in and take out the more flippy stuff and have the comfort and confidence in them. For this reason I plan to start throwing the Thunderbirds and Felon more. I dont have the arm to get a ton of distance out of the Felon, its been more of a FH fairway disc for me so far. Im not sure what I'll add to the drivers when I need stability and distance so I'll be trying a few things out. Im planning to try out an FD3 and Convict to try. I seem to be pickup more Legacy and Trilogy discs though when something needs replacing. I've been really digging the line ups they offer and love the plastic. I just have a lot of confidence in the Innova drivers currently in the bag so Im in no rush to swap them as theres no point in doing so.

Well this sucks a fat one. Just got a foot of snow dumped on us yesterday. Luckily I was blessed with the time to get two and a half rounds in yesterday. I picked up a few new discs with my Marshall Street gift certificate and got to give them a few throws.
Biofusion Renegade
Lucid Renegade
Lucid Air Freedom
Lucid Freedom
Lucid Escape
Lucid Convict
Retro Claymore

The Escape and Convict only got a couple throws, not judgement on those as of yet. The others, I like, but still need time to decide if they'll stay, replace anything, or get put on the shelf. I dont have a big arm but I kept flipping over the Freedoms. The Lucid Renegade needs some dialing in to figure it out and the Biofusion Renegade has a piss load of turn before starting to come back.

None of them are in the bag except the Claymore until I can get some open field work with them. My disc for sheer distance is the G* Tern. The Biofusion Renegade matched that distance, but with a bit more turn. The Claymore will have a spot on the bag but is on hold as my seasoned McPro Roc3 is too much overlap right now. That being said, I got my first ace with the Claymore at Pyramids DGC, down the street from Maple Hill!!!! The disc feels great in hand and has a great flight off the shelf. I can definitely see a couple of these going in the bag to cycle with a more stable compliment.

I'm just 12 days out from the first tournament of the year. I've made a couple changes, and once I play the course a few times over the next couple weeks, I might make a couple other adjustments.

Distance Drivers:
  • Star Tern - still on the stable side of things, more fade.
  • G* Tern - main open fairway distance

Control Drivers and Fairways:
  • Star Sandstrom Valkyrie - when accuracy is important
  • Pro Valkyrie - good woods disc, hyzer flips, long turn over before coming back, anhyzers. working on rollers with this as well
  • Lucid Felon - mostly FH shots, FH rollers
  • Champion Thunderbird - workhorse driver. straight with a good fade still to it. skips well in shorter grass.
  • DX Thunderbird - seasoned in to a nice straight shot with less fade than the champ. most distance than the champ.
  • Opto XXX - utility disc. thumbers, tomahawks, FH flex shots, scooby shots, spike hyzers
  • Pinnacle Rival - just added this as a more stable compliement to the Icon
  • Icon Rival - main fairway. no turn, little fade
  • TP Underworld - not as US as the #s suggest. this was a money disc last year but Im not feeling it this year for some reason. still holds a great sweeping anny but its not producing the quality shots as often as it did. may drop in a Leopard3 or a Patriot in here or one of my backup UWs.
  • TP Seer - flippier than the Underworld, I throw this when I dont want any (or little) fade.
  • Opto Trident - standstill FH shots. Im faced with this shot a lot at some of the courses. When thrown backhand, its very straight with fade. Distance is longer than my mids, but shorter than any of the fairways.

Mids:
  • Champ Roc3 - im surprised how little I throw this disc. Not so much because I dont need it, but I've spent a couple years with this disc, waiting to love it. I like it, but I throw the McPros with more confidence and comfort. I think Im going to to out a Verdict and Bard in place of this.
  • McPro Roc3 - I've got this one, and one back up, and I throw it a lot. For the sake of availability I'm dancing around with a replacement for a Compass or Truth (fresh McPro), and a Opto and Retro Claymore duo for the seasoned/beat McPro spot. Now that I've been taking a liking to more trilogy mids (IMO trilogy mids are phenominal molds), I'm thinking a Prime/Retro cycle could happen and I'll finally minimalize my mids
  • Retro Claymore - this one just got me my first ace so I left it in the bag
  • TP Tursas - flippier than flippy. Rollers and powered down tunnel shots.

Putters:
  • BT Hard Harp - FH approach shots, windy BH approach shots
  • Zero Medium Pure - main putter
  • Zero Hard Pure - had this one to decide what plastic I like better. I actually am more accurate outside 40ft with the hard so they'll both stay for now.

My mids are being worked around, but I think I've finally got a good plan. That seems to be the area that I've never settled in to.

My fairways/control drivers feel like a cluttered section with 9 molds and 11 discs, but they all get used regularly. I think the Felon is the only one I'd be ok taking out as it doesnt get much air time. I think I might take that out add a star Thunderbird once it gets the dye treatment.

Of the discs I tried in my previous post, neither of the Freedoms made the cut. The 159g Lucid Air flips over and crashes, even on a hyzer release. The 168(?) Lucid was just too inconsistent to even guess what it was going to do each time.
The Renegades need more work. I like them both a lot, The Bio had a lot of turn and the lucid turned, but not nearly as much. They both have good flights and the Bio matched my G* Tern disctance.
The Lucid Escape I loved, but with the Star Valkyrie in the bag, it doesnt have a place in the bag. It will, once that Valk gets retired or lost. My valk is green though, so it will be subbing out for the Escape when I play very green courses as the Escape is blue.
The Convict I can see bagging that, but I need to put it against the Thunderbirds head to head to make a determination as to if the Convict will be needed.

Got a couple practice rounds in this weekend and made a few changes to the bag for the course.

Distance Drivers:
  • Pro Tern - added this in place of the Star. Didnt need the stability of the star, this is a nice straight flight for some long, tighter drivers where I dont want the turn.
  • G* Tern - main open fairway distance
  • Pro Orc - might add this to the bag if its windy at all.
  • Bio Renegade - if theres no wind I'll throw this on a few holes on a big sweeping anny,
    completely taking the trees and low ceiling up the gut out of play.

• Lucid Convict - was playing around with this and I get pretty similar lines as the champ Thunderbird. However, I've been working on my FH and Ive done surprisingly well with this. The course on Saturday has some shots that FH drives will excel at, so I swaped the thbd for this.
  • Lucid Escape - this fits in between my Pro and Star Valkyrie, except this is a bit more workable. hyzer angle, it holds a hyzer, flat is a tight S line. This will get thrown off a couple tees. I wont need the US Pro Valk. I could have kept the Sandstrom Star Valk, but Im just trying something different. Some holes have very dense vines, briar bushes and brush. I dont want to look my beloved Sandstrom. Easier to replace a fresh Escape than a seasoned Sandstrom.
  • DX Thunderbird - seasoned in to a nice straight shot with less fade than the champ. most distance than the champ.
  • Opto XXX
  • Pinnacle Rival - glad I added this one. Perfect flight and feel that I was looking for to pair with the Icon.
  • Icon Rival
  • TP Seer - I might pull this out. havent thrown it more than once or twice at this course.
  • Opto Trident - not sure I really need this this weekend.

Mids:
  • Bard - fresh, OS mid
  • Opto Compass - fresh, not as stable as the Bard
  • Opto Claymore - main mid for tighter areas.
  • Retro Claymore - powers down well for a straight line, can throw it hard and have it turn gradually before finishing forward.

Putters:
  • BT Hard Harp
  • Fluid Warden - dead nuts straight approach shots
  • Zero Medium Pure
  • Zero Hard Pure

I changed my mid lineup entirely and Im really liking it. I do miss the McPro Roc3 for its feel and my confidence in it, but flight wise I notice no negative effect of taking it out.
I like the Fluid plastic, but I need something stiffer I think.
I tried a Lucid Thief that I got used recently. Feels great in the hand but and didnt look like it was that beat up at all. Visually I'd say 7/10 at least, and I believe the seller had it listed at a 7 IIRC. So I was very shocked to have it show so much turn thrown flat. It would ride a turn all the way to the ground, sometimes flipping over and cut rolling. Hyzer release it would flip up flat and ride a right turn for a ways before gently coming back. I need to try another one because either this was a freak disc or it was more beat up than it appeared. With how well I do with Rivals though, Im in no rush to try a competitor mold.

Im pretty happy with the bag for the weekend, but with the Harp and Warden now in there together, thats 20 discs, two of them putters and its a tight fit. Not the end of the world but a pain in the butt.

Last edited:
^^^ I like that bag. A few of those discs are in my bag, or get carried out for rounds from time to time.

Which one is your main putting putter? One of the Pures?

^^^ I like that bag. A few of those discs are in my bag, or get carried out for rounds from time to time.

Which one is your main putting putter? One of the Pures?

Yea I put with the Zero Medium inside of probably 40 feet. For some reason the stiff Zero Hard stays smoother when i try to stretch a putt out past that.

Putt is where I need a lot of work. I need to get in a rhythm and develop a routine, doing the same thing every time I set up for a putt. The lack of a routine causes inconsistencies and seems to prevent me from developing muscle memory or being able to get in a groove. Therefore, my putting tends to me decent, or bad. Im not 100% sold on the Pures being the right putter for me. I keep going back and forth between those and Judges. Someone told me to try a swan.

Yea I put with the Zero Medium inside of probably 40 feet. For some reason the stiff Zero Hard stays smoother when i try to stretch a putt out past that.

Putt is where I need a lot of work. I need to get in a rhythm and develop a routine, doing the same thing every time I set up for a putt. The lack of a routine causes inconsistencies and seems to prevent me from developing muscle memory or being able to get in a groove. Therefore, my putting tends to me decent, or bad. Im not 100% sold on the Pures being the right putter for me. I keep going back and forth between those and Judges. Someone told me to try a swan.

On putting, I am the choir and you are preaching to it. I'm always working on my putting. One day, I'll be like McBeth ;) (I can dream, anyway).

Seriously, I've settled on the Classic (same as Zero Hard) Warden for my putting duties, and I just need to practice. It *is* important to decide which putter works best for and with you. So if you're not happy with the Pure, keep working with it and the Judge, and may I suggest adding the Warden and Marshal to see which one(s) work best for you. After that, it's "practice like McBeth." :thmbup:

On putting, I am the choir and you are preaching to it. I'm always working on my putting. One day, I'll be like McBeth ;) (I can dream, anyway).

Seriously, I've settled on the Classic (same as Zero Hard) Warden for my putting duties, and I just need to practice. It *is* important to decide which putter works best for and with you. So if you're not happy with the Pure, keep working with it and the Judge, and may I suggest adding the Warden and Marshal to see which one(s) work best for you. After that, it's "practice like McBeth." :thmbup:

I have one warden that I like, but only have one so I don't get a ton of putts with it. Part of my inconsistencies and discomfort is that I'm coming from more of spush putt with a mcP aviar. Very different feel. And the pure is a much faster putter because it's so shallow. Big learning year for my putting all around

Not going to talk much about the tournament. It was a lot of fun but my head wasnt in it. I have some stuff going on that came up a couple nights prior so I was distracted most of the time. I did learn a lot about the bad I went with though. For one, just because its not windy when you get there, make sure you have stable discs just in case!

I left the Orc at home and it was a costly mistake. I bought a Trespass during lunch hoping it would serve me well. I was going to throw it on the windy holes but when I got to the teepad there was no wind, so I threw the Tern. Well the wind came just as I released and it flipped over and rolled away. The wind was messing with everyone out there. My Thunderbirds were turning over.

I also decided to putt with Judges and Im glad I did. My putting was actually pretty good. I missed some that I should have made, but all my misses were by inches, usually low. My drives weren't terrible overall but I had a couple drives where I decided to try something new or go for the big shot rather than play smart and maybe have a look at birdie. I got aggressive and wanted to make the birdie certain and it ended up turning in to a bogey. I dont think anyone on my card played all that well though. I was on the lead card in the second round, and I thought my first round was pretty crappy, so I think everyone had a crappy day. No one had stable drivers for one. If I can take one thing away from this past weekend, its practice the "new shots" before the damn event, and bring more than one Gatorade with you.

My setup I was pleased with. I threw most of my bag on Saturday and I didnt notice any holes anywhere. I think I'll be rocking this setup for a while as i make more assessments while i get more throws with all the discs.

Oh... and dont drink too much after the round as you will get too friendly and give away one of your bagged discs because a cute girl on the advanced card has been wanted to try one out. Only thing I got in return was a need for a new Compass LOL

A few changes have been made. I went back to the Judges for putting and worked on my spin putt form and I think this is where Im going to be for a while. Ive been nailing putts that I've got it dialed in. Ended my doubles league with a 45 ft straddle putt with the Judge and ended a round yesterday with a 60 foot jump putt. Now that my form is figured out, the Judges are feel great for me. I want to try the Deputy and Swan, but I think the Judge is where its at for me right now.

Distance Drivers:
  • Lucid Trespass - still working this in between it and the Wraith. I may disc down a bit find something closer to the likes of a CD2
  • Star Tern
  • Lucid Renegade
  • Bio Renegade
- just got a G TD2 that Im going to try out for the heck of it.

• Lucid Convict
  • Lucid Escape
  • Star Thunderbird - got rid of the DX as the Convict is better at the same shots. This is more OS than the Convict fills the roll as an OS fairway driver.
  • Opto XXX - FHs, OHs, utility stuff.
  • Pinnacle Rival - glad I added this one. Perfect flight and feel that I was looking for to pair with the Icon.
  • Icon Rival
  • Icon Patriot - working this in as an US FW. putting this against a leopard3 right now for the spot
  • Opto Trident

Mids:
  • Lucid Justice - beeeef. utility mid, big hyzers, FHs and skips
  • Bard - fresh, OS mid
  • Opto Claymore
  • Retro Claymore

Putters:
  • BT Hard Harp
  • Opto Pure - dead nuts straight approach shots and drives
  • VIP Shiled - stable-OS shots
  • Classic Judge x2

This past weekend was interesting. I played a tournament and although I do love that course, I'm sad to say that I don't see myself paying to compete in that event again. There was a tournament thread on the local forum with all the communications of this tournament. Its the medium that every other tournament discussion takes place on. A food truck was supposed to be present for lunch. A couple days before the tournament, someone posted on the forum confirming the lunch option. Im glad I brought plenty of snacks because there was no lunch option. I came home that night to an email (apparently it was sent the afternoon before), saying there was no food truck. Communications regarding this event or any other, have never been via personal email accounts. Not in my experience. They should have made more people aware by updating the forum. Many people had to leave to get food and came back to no parking because the Ranger station decided the day off to not let us use their large and empty parking lot for overflow. Instead we were double parking on the road or a quarter mile up the road at a public boat launch. So registration time comes up, and theirs all these custom stamped discs and minis out, and I still have no idea what they were for. Players packs the lady left in her car and said "I left them in the car, I didnt want to run and grab them now, we'll just hand them out at lunch". So now we have to figure out lunch and be back for round 2 in not a lot of time, and figure out players packs. I stopped at the table for mine will enjoying my lunch of Planter's Trail Mix and Jack Links jerky. Nothing was out except for a box of random discs. I told the lady I just wanted to stop and grab my players pack quick. She checked me off and said "ok you're all set, you get to take a disc"... One box with probably 90 (90 players) base line discs piled in. I hate to be one of those people who bitches about a players pack, but getting to pick one $7 dollar disc was just the icing on the cake. Scorecards were stuck at the top players name on each hole per usual. They didn't fill out names for either round so we got to the hole, we had no idea who we were waiting for, couldn't remember who the other guy was. Once names got straightened out, who was on the top of the card? What was the teeing order? No one knew. Our first round score card had 4 available lines for names, and 5 people on my card. Not enough round to draw a line across and make it 5 lines. Two people on one card never showed. It was an AM2 card playing behind a Rec card. The AM2 card ended up with 3 people on their card playing being a 5some of Rec. One a couple occasions we were backed up for 20+ minutes which could have been alleviated by paying attention to the layout on the scoreboard. During lunch and after the 2nd round, they were also selling discs. They brought a fair supply, but "forgot the card reader for their iPad" so it was cash only. When we were called in, first thing they said was "sorry if there were molds or brands you were looking for but we do have them at our store" They basically took the entire setup and turned it in to a shameless plug for their own store at a different course. The TD never mentioned the course we played at, never made a thank you statement or even a tip of the hat to that course. They talked about the work done at their course and if anyone hasnt been there, they should go check it out. I've never played an event hosted by these TDs/organization, but if this is how it always goes, I wont be playing another.

/end rant. Back to the bag

Distance Drivers:
  • [*]Lucid Trespass - lost this one
  • Star Tern
  • Lucid Renegade
  • Bio Renegade
- TD2 didnt make it. Its basically a Bio Renegade so poo poo to that.

• Lucid Convict
  • Lucid Escape
  • Star Thunderbird - got to throw this on a couple shots this weekend. I wish I didnt have to because it was a "get me the hell out of here" shot. But it worked great. It feels a little weird in the hand though. Different feel than the champs I think. For now it can stay though.
  • Opto XXX - FHs, OHs, utility stuff.
    [*]Icon Rival - lost this one too
  • Icon Patriot - this one has earned its keep. The Leopard3 though, will be actually be on the shelf with my other Patriot as a backup. Very similiar flight.
  • Opto Trident - this I took out. But I might put it back and take the XXX out, or leave both out. I dont think I need the OS of a XXX on a regular basis. I can add it when needed.

Mids:
  • Lucid Justice - beeeef. utility mid, big hyzers, FHs and skips
  • Bard - fresh, OS mid
  • Opto Claymore
  • Retro Claymore

Putters:
  • BT Hard Harp
  • Opto Pure - dead nuts straight approach shots and drives
  • VIP Shield - stable-OS shots --- Im not really feeling this one. I used it a lot lately and it just doesnt feel right. I'm going to find something else, just not sure what yet. Aviar3 maybe.
  • Gravity Hunter x2 - unintentionally found that I love these for my putting style.
    Probably more than the Judge
[/QUOTE]

Distance Drivers:
  • Pro Orc - straight to fade, just a tick of turn but wont flip over. Put this is to fill the roll that the Trespass had until I replace it or get it back.
  • Lucid Renegade
  • Bio Renegade

• Lucid Convict
  • Lucid Escape
  • Opto XXX
  • Pinnacle Rival
  • Icon Patriot
I took the Star Thunderbird out just to see if I really need it in there or not. Will see if I wish I had at all later this week.

Mids:
  • Lucid Justice
  • Bard
  • Opto Claymore
  • Retro Claymore

Putters:
  • BT Hard Harp
  • Opto Pure
  • VIP Shield
  • Gravity Hunter x2

Really bummed about my drivers. The Star Tern was my go-to driver! No idea where it went, if I misplaced it or actually lost it, but I have another star thats waiting to be dyed that will start getting beat in a bit if it doesnt turn up. Also have a heavier Starlite that was pretty much the same flight that I may try for now, or give something else a go all together.

I also got my hands on an Outlaw that I want to try out. Its a yellow one at 168(?)g. Havent throw it yet but I was reading how stability really varies throughout different colors with Legacy. I dont really have the arm speed and my form is good but needs work. So I dont really throw fast drivers with the exception of the Tern, but I've been wanted to this out for the heck of it.

Last edited:
Im having a hard time with the Escape/Convict pair too. The two in my bag fill different rolls, but I could also see a Fuzion Escape being redundant to a Lucid Convict, so maybe a Convict isnt truly needed. Then again, I could see a Biofuzion Convict overlapping a Lucid Escape so maybe the Lucid Escape could go...:confused::wall:

Distance Drivers:
  • Pro Orc - straight to fade. Kinda beat up, not the most trusted disc in the wind, so I disc down for a Convict or Felon in the Orc can't get it done. I've got a few molds in mind to try out for the stable to OS driver roll, unless my Trespass finds its way out of the oak tree soon.
  • Lucid Renegade - go-to distance for now. As much as I like the Renegades, I still miss the Terns. I just got a Daedelus that make my ears perk when I threw it though.
  • Bio Renegade - hyzer flips and turnover shots. occassional rollers

• Lucid Felon - strong wind and FH, skip shots
  • Lucid Convict - subs in for the escape if I need it go left at the end more, thrown in low winds.
  • Lucid Escape - very straight, not a lot of fade, turns over in wind
  • Opto sparkle XXX - beef, scoobies, FH, thunbers, FH rollers
  • Pinnacle Rival - OS fairway duties
  • Star Leopard3 - just trying this out over the Patriot for now. Straight with some turn, comes back at the end. Still fresh

Mids:
  • Lucid Justice - its a Justice
  • Bard - OS mid, can crank on it and its still not turning. thrown when its windy
  • VIP Pine -Stable mid, healthy fade, stays straighter than the Bard before fading. Drops out of the air in the wind though, doesnt fade at all in a headwind. (enter the Bard)
  • Opto Claymore - straight all day. just a tick of turn and tick of fade (barely)
  • Retro Claymore - annys, hyzer flips, turnover shots both BH and FH

Putters:
  • BT Hard Harp - Harp things
  • Opto Pure - driving putter
  • Gravity Hunter x2 - putting putter. One is max weight, main putter, the other is 169g I believe, use this for further out and for jump putts.

The deputy sucks, for the record, for putting. No one I played with like it. Its a great point and shoot throwing putter from a stand still when powered down so I might try it more for that, but the glide cost a lot of people a lot of strokes. Someone probably likes it, but I didnt. I also dont do stiff putters very well. I need something between the Pinnacle Rival and the Leo/Patriot. Either an Icon Rival, Thief... or something

Last edited:
I'm still working on the Escape/Convict pair myself. I've been a long time Escape thrower, but it's not meant to be thrown into the wind. I picked up a Convict to be a bit better with wind, but found there wasn't a huge difference in the discs.

I currently pair a Discmania S-line PD as my OS compliment to the Escape and I would highly recommend it. I find it to be a very reliable disc.

I never clicked with Renegades, but like Terns. I found the Star Terns to be too flippy for me but the Champion Terns really hit a sweet spot for distance drivers. If you're not getting enough distance with the Renegade, replacing the Tern might be a good idea.

I see a bit of overlap in your bags in the overstable category. Felon, XXX, Justice, Harp. I've thrown them all and like them, but maybe you don't need all of them? I replaced the XXX with a Felon and am on the fence about carrying the Justice. I never really threw the Harp that much.

What I like to do is get for a practice round when the course isn't crowded and when a particular shot comes up, I like to think "What disc do I throw here?" and "Could I make this shot with another disc?" and then throw both and compare. I used to carry a few utility discs for a particular hole on a particular course but after trying quite a few different discs and throws, I found that I could achieve similar results with more than one disc and couldn't really justify carrying a separate mold. That's how I pared down a lot of my OS discs.

The Pine is another disc that could be dropped if you wanted. The Bard and Claymore's really seem to have all your lines covered.

I'm still working on the Escape/Convict pair myself. I've been a long time Escape thrower, but it's not meant to be thrown into the wind. I picked up a Convict to be a bit better with wind, but found there wasn't a huge difference in the discs.

I currently pair a Discmania S-line PD as my OS compliment to the Escape and I would highly recommend it. I find it to be a very reliable disc.

I never clicked with Renegades, but like Terns. I found the Star Terns to be too flippy for me but the Champion Terns really hit a sweet spot for distance drivers. If you're not getting enough distance with the Renegade, replacing the Tern might be a good idea.

I see a bit of overlap in your bags in the overstable category. Felon, XXX, Justice, Harp. I've thrown them all and like them, but maybe you don't need all of them? I replaced the XXX with a Felon and am on the fence about carrying the Justice. I never really threw the Harp that much.

What I like to do is get for a practice round when the course isn't crowded and when a particular shot comes up, I like to think "What disc do I throw here?" and "Could I make this shot with another disc?" and then throw both and compare. I used to carry a few utility discs for a particular hole on a particular course but after trying quite a few different discs and throws, I found that I could achieve similar results with more than one disc and couldn't really justify carrying a separate mold. That's how I pared down a lot of my OS discs.

The Pine is another disc that could be dropped if you wanted. The Bard and Claymore's really seem to have all your lines covered.

Thanks for your feedback. The Pine is really just there to see if I like it at all. Its pretty darn close to the Bard I'm noticing, if anything it could be a backup since I dont have other Bards.

As for the OS slots, nothing overlaps a Justice, its a true meathook brick, more OS than either the Felon or the XXX. The XXX is more OS than the Felon and covers shots that the Felon doesnt have the ability to do... not that Felon anyway. The Felon is my OS thrower for both BH and FH for more distance than the XXX will provide. That being said, I find myself needing the XXX less, so I think I'm going to pull that out for now.

Distance Drivers & Control Drivers:
  • Champ Orc - OS driver duties, put it in for a tournament, going to keep it in to see if I end up realistically needing it.
  • Lucid Renegade
  • Bio Renegade
  • Lucid Felon
  • Lucid Convict
  • Lucid Escape

Fairway Drivers:
  • PFN Star Eagle theres a gap between these two and I dont know what to fill it with (thinking Thief), or if I need to.
  • TP Underworld - put old faithful back in while my Leo3 knocks some new off.

Mids:
  • Lucid Justice
  • Bard - stable - OS mid duties
  • Opto Claymore - still pretty new - straight to fade
  • Opto Claymore - pretty seasoned - workable, neutral to US
  • Retro Claymore - broken in, flippy

Putters:
  • BT Hard Harp - OS upshots
  • Gravity Hunter x2 - putting putter. One is max weight, main putter, the other is 169g I believe, use this for further out and for jump putts.

Still unsure of Renegades. The Lucid flipped on me a couple times this past weekend and cost me strokes. Its become less reliable as it breaks in. I found the Tern that I misplaced though (my former go-to driver), so Im probably going to swap them out for a line of Terns while I try out a couple molds that I've had on hand and haven't thrown yet.
Also found some Beasts in my basement yesterday a couple mildly beat Star Mambas. I took my dog out yesterday and brought those to throw around while he chased dragonflies and birds. Maybe I was just having a good day, but I felt like I was bombing these two molds. I said "felt like", because I had no measurement for distance, but I'm hoping to get out to the field tonight for some actual field work. My fairways and DDs need to be figured out so Im hoping to weed out the unnecessary ones and work toward something more solid.

Last edited:
Distance Drivers & Control Drivers:
  • Star Tern
  • Pro Tern
  • Bio Renegade
  • Lucid Felon
  • Lucid Convict
  • Lucid Escape
  • Pro Valkyrie

Fairway Drivers:
  • PFN Star Eagle
  • TP Underworld - put old faithful back in while my Leo3 knocks some new off.

Mids:
  • Lucid Justice
  • Bard - stable - OS mid duties
  • Opto Claymore - still pretty new - straight to fade
  • Opto Claymore - pretty seasoned - workable, neutral to US
  • Retro Claymore - broken in, flippy

Putters:
  • BT Hard Harp - OS upshots

Few things I've noticed, and some trials happening in the coming weeks.
1. I really dont reach for my fairways as much as I thought. I think the Eagle and UW have it covered for now, but still want to see what the Thief has to offer as I love the feel of it.
2. I wont carry more than 2-3 fairways at a time - 99% of the time I'm either throwing a mid or control driver. I think this slot (FWs), will be course dependant, or determined by wind. I many want throw a fairway in the wind, or on longer uphill shots where I might have thrown a mid.
3. I found my Tern that had been missing! That was my go-to. I took the Lucid Renegade out, it was a big overlap with the Pro Tern, and getting a little untrustworthy lately.
4. Adding a Pro Valkyrie for turnovers and annys just to play around with it. My Escape still has some stability to be shed.
5. Still trying to find the right OS driver

Notes: Not crazy about the Escape/Convict thing going on. Going to try to pick up a Bio Convict to smack around and maybe take out the Escape and have one less mold, or pick up a Bio and Moonshine Escape and maybe eliminate the Convict... need to hit the field and not the course!!

I'd like to trim the fat from my distance drivers, and eventually get to just a couple molds. As discs beat in I'll be able to work toward that, but right now, its a construction zone.

5. Still trying to find the right OS driver

If you want a long distance driver, I always felt that Destroyers made a great OS pairing with Terns. They both had a similar feel in the hand to me.

The PD is a little more of a control driver, and I love pairing it with an Escape for OS shots and windy days.

Another disc to consider is an Enforcer. It's a speed 12 very OS disc. I love it for windy days when you can't afford to have any turn. There are one or two long open holes on my favorite course that often get a strong headwind or crosswind, and there's a nasty swamp on the side of the fairway. No matter what the wind does, I know the Enforcer will always go straight and finish where I want. On less windy days, throwing a flex shot will get some decent distance. It's not an every-hole distance driver, but can handle a lot of OS duties.

If you want a long distance driver, I always felt that Destroyers made a great OS pairing with Terns. They both had a similar feel in the hand to me.

The PD is a little more of a control driver, and I love pairing it with an Escape for OS shots and windy days.

Another disc to consider is an Enforcer. It's a speed 12 very OS disc. I love it for windy days when you can't afford to have any turn. There are one or two long open holes on my favorite course that often get a strong headwind or crosswind, and there's a nasty swamp on the side of the fairway. No matter what the wind does, I know the Enforcer will always go straight and finish where I want. On less windy days, throwing a flex shot will get some decent distance. It's not an every-hole distance driver, but can handle a lot of OS duties.

I've been tossing around the idea of a Destroyer. I have a champion Orc, Pro and Star Wraith, and a new Star Destroyer, but every time I bring them out for field testing, theres no wind! So its been tough to just which one is the right one for me. I would just bag Destroyers and call it a day, but I dont yet have the distance for that. I keep my drivers speed 10-11, with the Tern bring the exception because its so easy to get that distance.
I've also toyed with the idea of cycling a few CDs and bookending them with a PD, but I dont have enough experience with them to know if thats the right move for me. I really wish Terns could be more of a cycling driver like the Destroyers are to many people. They feel the best in my hand.

Latest posts