• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

European Masters 2014, live on national TV

I was saying that profitability of media rights was another discussion which was irrelevant to the point at hand (whether rights COULD be sold or not). Sorry for the confusion. Profit is definitely not irrelevant.

Ok, gonna have to get tough love on you. Sorry in advance.

Your mentality is the problem. You're freeloading on and taking advantage of the insanely cheap services and good will of people. The people you mentioned aren't making jack sh*t for money. They will either burn out or accept working multiple jobs, giving up their weekends turning cuts over at speeds that people get paid a decent living wage to, for an ungrateful audience who doesn't want the sport to grow because it means their free ride is over.

The worst part is, you've lied to yourself and said "it's good coverage". All of our round coverage is crap. I'm including myself in that, and I'm not firing shots. I'll be the first to critique my own work and point out its flaws. The equipment we use is garbage for image quality, and the execution is average at best. DGPlanet has better equipment than all of the rest of us combined, to give you an idea. What you mean to say is "it's good enough, because I get it for free".

How do we get DG to look good on camera? How do we get a better class of athlete populating the top tournaments? How do we get better looking courses that are also challenging as well as spectator-friendly? It's very simple, and all the same answer: We get rid of the freeloaders and cheapskates.

What I'm saying, from my experiences abroad with disc golf so far, is that it is already happening here, and will soon spread to the US. So prepare yourself.

I'm confused. Aren't the viewers of any sport pretty much always watching it for free? Coverage is paid for by sponsors and advertisers, not the viewers... if you're expecting the consumers to not be cheapskates, you're dead in the water.

I'm confused. Aren't the viewers of any sport pretty much always watching it for free? Coverage is paid for by sponsors and advertisers, not the viewers... if you're expecting the consumers to not be cheapskates, you're dead in the water.

Not necessarily. Since ESPN shows very little of hockey, especially in the Southeast, there are only a few games a week on other channels. If I wanted to watch another team, say the Penguins, I'm going to have to purchase hockey channels.

People who keep beating the grow the.sport drum make me laugh. They don't even know what the hell they are talking about.

1) Why?
2) How?
3) When?

Answer those questions before you start screaming GROW THE SPORT.

I was saying that profitability of media rights was another discussion which was irrelevant to the point at hand (whether rights COULD be sold or not). Sorry for the confusion. Profit is definitely not irrelevant.

Your mentality is the problem. You're freeloading on and taking advantage of the insanely cheap services and good will of people. The people you mentioned aren't making jack sh*t for money. They will either burn out or accept working multiple jobs, giving up their weekends turning cuts over at speeds that people get paid a decent living wage to, for an ungrateful audience who doesn't want the sport to grow because it means their free ride is over.

The worst part is, you've lied to yourself and said "it's good coverage". All of our round coverage is crap. I'm including myself in that, and I'm not firing shots. I'll be the first to critique my own work and point out its flaws. The equipment we use is garbage for image quality, and the execution is average at best. DGPlanet has better equipment than all of the rest of us combined, to give you an idea. What you mean to say is "it's good enough, because I get it for free".

How do we get DG to look good on camera? How do we get a better class of athlete populating the top tournaments? How do we get better looking courses that are also challenging as well as spectator-friendly? It's very simple, and all the same answer: We get rid of the freeloaders and cheapskates.

What I'm saying, from my experiences abroad with disc golf so far, is that it is already happening here, and will soon spread to the US. So prepare yourself.[/QUOTE

Ok then let us tell the people who are doing it on donations stop and we can wait til companies start paying people to film, for expensive equipment and all that other stuff. Not gonna happen anytime soon. Maybe it just a little wishful thinking on your part to get paid more, who knows.

On another note, to say I am cheap is incorrect. I have made donations to show my support for what they do. I play p2p courses. I invest in the game. But you do realize that this game was based on freeloaders and cheapskates. And as the saying goes, once you give someone something for free, it is near impossible to make them pay for it again.

What I'm saying, from my experiences abroad with disc golf so far, is that it is already happening here, and will soon spread to the US. So prepare yourself.

Jamie, did you read Disc414's post before you replied? Did you read your reply before you clicked "submit"? Disc414 is (or was) your client, and you provide a service. Best to keep those roles clear in your mind if you want to be successful. Sometimes it is better to say nothing at all.

Anyway. Great day three. Doss, Ricky and KJ all hit double digits in birdies. Ricky has shaved three strokes off his score each round. I'm going to just pencil him in for a 50 for tomorrow accordingly. wink. I find myself rooting for the Europeans more and more.... but "The Paul and Ricky Show" brings pure glee.

Exciting to see KJ on the top going into the final round. It definitely adds some intrigue to the final round. Paul has been playing great, but still has clearly left a lot of strokes out on the course each day. What happens Sunday? Does Doss sneak into the lead with his mistake free play. Will KJ keep moving forward and keep the title in Europe? Do McBeth or Wysocki do what they do and battle it out with rounds that are so good it's unreal? It's anyones game right now.

To be fair, if I shot a 66 on that course I would have a plaque made... but yeah, Simon's my favorite to follow and I was really hoping he'd be more in the mix just so I could see coverage. Just wasn't his week.

Jamie, did you read Disc414's post before you replied? Did you read your reply before you clicked "submit"? Disc414 is (or was) your client, and you provide a service. Best to keep those roles clear in your mind if you want to be successful. Sometimes it is better to say nothing at all.

How is he my client? I don't think you understand the first thing about the world I work in.

Hey Jamie,
Thanks again for what you're doing with SpinTV. I'm curious how long it's going to take to have the final round up? Have fun watching the final!

Hey Jamie,
Thanks again for what you're doing with SpinTV. I'm curious how long it's going to take to have the final round up? Have fun watching the final!

We're going to knock out the commentary this evening for the first 9, then tomorrow for the back 9. With the time difference (we are 7 hours ahead of the east coast) hopefully we can get the first video to you guys on Monday.

Cross your fingers for everything to go smoothly, it's always extra fun trying to figure out the logistics in a foreign country with no cell phone service.

I forgot about that Instagram post... What happened? Did he have some lingonberry this morning that didn't agree with him? Get tied up at an IKEA? Not many great excuses for showing up late to your round at a Major.

~150m away from the driving range (which is hole 1's tee on the major layout) there's Jarva Junior DiscGolfPark, which I belive is 6 holes that are ~50m long for kids and families. A good few of the pros were practicing upshots there to kill time, and I guess he just lost track of it.

I have no idea what they are saying besides when they say someone's name. But this is well worth waking up early to watch the live stream! Very high quality stream and the production team have a done a great job so far from the looks of it!

I have no idea what they are saying besides when they say someone's name. But this is well worth waking up early to watch the live stream! Very high quality stream and the production team have a done a great job so far from the looks of it!

Have a link to the broadcast?