• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Every time I go to Dick's Sporting Goods

Blobfish

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I take whatever detour is necessary to somehow pass by the golf discs and then I flip through the racks in great detail even though I have no intention of buying any of them... except maybe that McBeth 4x destroyer... I would do this tonight if I went even though I was just there last night to get a bike tube. Does anyone else share this affliction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually do to see how many Grooves are in stock, and see if there is any Destroyers or Thunderbirds, that I could flip, or that have a way different PLH. I wish they would carry Shyrkes in anything other than tyedyed Champ, though if someobe wants to buy it and loose it with no ink, where I can find it, thats fine with me.

Incidentally, I'm also glad that they finally bought the dicks.com domain.

Afaik Dick's only carries Innova... I never heard of any other brand until I stumbled across a Latitude 64 missilen, then went to an ace race and discovered Discraft... I've only bought one disc at Dick's since my starter pack which started it all, and that was a star mako3 that caught my eye because it was so different, and it's been a constant favorite of mine since

I drive by a Dick's every day to work, and have perused the end display with the Innova discs. They always have Grooves, Aviars, Beasts, Daedalus', Katanas, and Valkyries; sometimes a few Teebirds, Roc3s, and Wraiths. They cost more than online options, and only have discs in max weights.

I view Dick's Sporting Goods to be a disc golf convenience store, that I would shop at only if I for some reason wanted one of the above listed discs immediately, and had no other options

I view Dick's Sporting Goods to be a disc golf convenience store, that I would shop at only if I for some reason wanted one of the above listed discs immediately, and had no other options

Exactly! Yet I still have to check out their discs whenever I'm there

It was Dick's that got me to finally try out disc golf.

I have always wanted to try it but never did. Not long ago I was at Dick's and stopped at the discs. I started picking through them and had no idea what I was looking at but it was the spark to get me to actually try disc golf. I did not buy anything, again, I had no clue, but I went home and reached out to a local social media disc golf group. A few days later I was on a course getting help and playing. :)

Whenever I'm in Dick's Sporting Goods... I walk the aisles thinking... I miss Galyans.

Galyans was awesome. They actually tried to have equipment for every sport out there. Dick's only really supports ball sports, hunting, and fishing.

To the OP, yes I go by the disc golf section every time, and funny enough the one by me has a 4x McBeth Destroyer in hot pink that calls out to me.

Exactly! Yet I still have to check out their discs whenever I'm there

Yep same. Every time. I have two very athletic teenage daughters and we end up there a lot for random sports equipment and EVERY DAMN TIME... I walk over the to disc golf rack as if there will be something besides Grooves and Tyedye Katanas for $18. There isn't. I know there isn't... yet every time I go over and look.

Big 5 a few blocks from Dicks carries trilogy starter packs and lots of DX Innova. But basically the same experience. chance is near zero I would buy one of those discs but if i'm in there for a soccer bag or an Ice hockey mouth piece or a new softball... i'm looking at the disc rack.

I don't even throw any Innova discs and have no plans to ever throw another one...

...and I still stop at the rack of discs at Dick's

Every
Time
I
Go
There

I browse through Dick's discs every time I go there, and sometimes I even make a special trip just to see if they have restocked.

I don't buy much, but I do like that I can paw and eye the plastic and sometimes I find a nice disc.

Yeah, it's full retail, but it's the same price as every other brick and mortar (including PIA) and one shop I know charges even more than Dick's!

Every time I go to Meijer I have to stop by the disc golf section. The discs never change, but... I have to.

Too bad it's all high speed drivers besides the Skeeters, VRocs, and Aviars.

I don't go to Dick's, I go to Academy...and not for discs...

Yea, I stop by and check out the display, most of the times I go to Dick's. Since they move the display around the store in different seasons, part of the challenge is finding the display. :wall:

Bought a starter pack there, then another one! I have bought a few other discs there, the price is about the same as PIAS. So I usually buy at PIAS, better selection. (RAL and DUR locations only!)

I also look for the display at Cloud Nine, whenever I am in there. :thmbup:

I don't even go in our Dick's store anymore, they have so few disks it isn't even worth it. Scheels carries a respectable selection of various brands of disks and I have to sort through their whole selection every time I go in, but I certainly don't need anything right now!:eek:

Same here, just have to see what they have, every time.

Pretty sure I've told this story in another thread, but why not. For my b-day this year my son wanted to get me a disc, and he wanted to pick it out himself. So my wife takes him to the local Dick's, where he proceeds to randomly pick out a Champ Roc3. I only throw two Innova molds, a Star Teebird and a Champ Roc3. Kid has great taste...