• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Executing The Dream

I figured the SSE and rating interval according to the DGCR method and got an SSE of 29.8 (-4) and rating interval of 9.3. This puts par, a score of 34 at a 963 rating. Today I shot a +3 which rates to 935 and is ironically about my rating.
These numbers seem decently on and at the extreme end puts a -8 at 1038 rating. Thanks for checking this out. Yea jake you should come play. Maybe it won't snow for a whole nother month?

Upon thinking about it I think this is displaced by about a stroke or two too easy. Par should be more like 940 I think.

hyzer rte on 9, over the dirt mound?, kind looks cleared in the direction

Yup. Straight off the tee pad. not fully cleared yet but still worth an occasional try as it is. I want to evolve this hole carefully to offer a nice ballence between risking the hyzer and playing conservatively through the tunnel. As is, is very imperfect but the concept is there.

looks so different in the reverse direction on some of them. nice job, kind of wish i was going to maine for xmas

I'm tired just looking at those pictures. Very impressive work there.

Thanks guys. It is really fun now that I have all the baskets in one loop and that the lower course is more fair and ballenced than it was before.

Ideally I am looking to design holes and a layout that is targeted somewhere between my skills (low end advanced) and my girlfriends (woman's int). In reality more toward the high side of that spectrum but with a focus on removing punishing areas for inaccurate or lessser power players to keepit fun. I have it very much in mind that I want this course to be fun for someone who has never played before. That is my only hope were it to succeed as a pay to play someday, and if not that then to just attract new friends and family to enjoy playing.

On the other end I hope to use the terrain, multishot holes, and good design to make the course fun for ma1 or ma2 or even men's pro players. The way this 10 hole lower layout has played out really may work well for this. the lower ten will be the base layout, while the upper 8 will not only be more physically demanding (higher on the hill) but can also be targeted for a different level of play. For example 500-600 foot par fours perhaps instead of the 400-500 foot par fours of the lower loop.

nice thinking with the upper and lower holes. that is what we did/are doing at the peace trust house. having the first 9 be more beginner friendly and the back 9 be the more demanding step up in skill.

nice thinking with the upper and lower holes. that is what we did/are doing at the peace trust house. having the first 9 be more beginner friendly and the back 9 be the more demanding step up in skill.

This works best when the layout allows. Either a choke point, outer loop type setup or two loops starting from the start area.

I don't quite have enough data yet but I've started looking at the score average for individual holes.

b40b656b9eb47cdbade3b7627dee5d79.jpg

Holes 3,4,9,10 are par fours.

I found this in an old thread posted by Chuck

For a given skill level, I believe this is how various scoring distributions rank with increasing preference. The values X & Y can represent 2 & 3, 3 & 4 or 4 & 5

Y.0 where this is almost 100% of 1 score
X.8-Y.2 where the Y score is over 80% (primarily 2 scores)
Y.2-Y.4 more due to luck (primarily 2 scores)
X.4-X.6 more due to luck (primarily 2 scores)
X.6-X.8 more due to luck (primarily 2 scores)
X.8-Y.2 more due to luck (primarily 3 scores)
Y.2-Y.4 more due to skill (primarily 2 scores)
X.4-X.6 more due to skill (primarily 2 scores)
X.6-X.8 more due to skill (primarily 2 scores)
X.8-Y.2 more due to skill (primarily 3 scores)
X.9-Y.1 more due to skill (primarily 4 scores with more birdies than bogeys plus double bogeys)

Statistically, more scores with decent percentages (>5%) are better for scoring spread if they are produced primarily due to skill elements versus luck.

I figure since I am designing for who is playing the course, mostly me, I should just strive to get the hole averages as low on chucks list as I can.
So im thinking I should try to get all of those .36's down a couple of tenths at least through softening. Any other observations y'all see?

Was that image done in Ms Paint?!? That is some pretty baller MS Paint skills.

Was that image done in Ms Paint?!? That is some pretty baller MS Paint skills.

LOL. Even worse. With two crappy free I pad Apps (one for text and the other for drawing.

Thanks. It's definaty a first draft of sorts. I just thought of the upside down compass thing the other day so that is definitely my premise and I think I like the idea of using the geometric (pseduo SW native) crosses and such shapes. Thanks for checking out the thread. As per the PM, I'll hit you up when I get the chance soon.

I've enjoyed seeing your progress on here. A friend and I are in the same process right now. His in laws have 15 acres that we're putting a course in. We have an initial nine holes laid out, with another 5 being possibilities. It looks like you went with the same type of baskets we did, the InSteps are just so darn cheap you can't go wrong. We were thinking of getting some conduit the same size as the center pole and driving those into the ground and maybe concreting later, once we have the pin positions nailed down. Right now we're just trying to get others in the area to play and see how the holes work. But it's been good to see everyone's input into your course to get some other ideas.

Well it's not on my own land but over the past two months I have got to design my own course for public use. It has been somethig I always wanted to do. We were give. Land and funding for 9. We ended up having enough room for 12 and with a little budget moves we were given the go ahead for 12. It is so cool knowing every time I go back home to see family that the course their was something I helped design. The best part is the city took to the designs and improved the look of the holes. My one pond hole, they are adding a fountain and my inland island hole got the royal treatment. They put in some wood post and filled it in with dirt causing the island to be raised off the ground from 2 ft to 4 (lower infront). To me this was a dream. To have people playing the course and talking about it. It will open in march so I can't wait to see the reactions

I've enjoyed seeing your progress on here. A friend and I are in the same process right now. His in laws have 15 acres that we're putting a course in. We have an initial nine holes laid out, with another 5 being possibilities. It looks like you went with the same type of baskets we did, the InSteps are just so darn cheap you can't go wrong. We were thinking of getting some conduit the same size as the center pole and driving those into the ground and maybe concreting later, once we have the pin positions nailed down. Right now we're just trying to get others in the area to play and see how the holes work. But it's been good to see everyone's input into your course to get some other ideas.

Sweet Jerm! It is such a treat to get to make a course for yourself isn't it?

I love the insteps too, and like you said, great for the price. At a third or less it's just a math equation, I will play on tones for x * 3 amount of time instead while I get enough $ for more expensive baskets. makes it simple for me.

I might recommend spending the grouond housing money on extra chains and just shimming them or making little platforms initialy because the extra chains will effect play while the way the basket stands straight is more aesthetic.

Well it's not on my own land but over the past two months I have got to design my own course for public use. It has been somethig I always wanted to do. We were give. Land and funding for 9. We ended up having enough room for 12 and with a little budget moves we were given the go ahead for 12. It is so cool knowing every time I go back home to see family that the course their was something I helped design. The best part is the city took to the designs and improved the look of the holes. My one pond hole, they are adding a fountain and my inland island hole got the royal treatment. They put in some wood post and filled it in with dirt causing the island to be raised off the ground from 2 ft to 4 (lower infront). To me this was a dream. To have people playing the course and talking about it. It will open in march so I can't wait to see the reactions

Thats so cool tex! Your right it is a treat to come back and see people enjoying themselves where your imagination and work sowed the seeds. I have at least one tone course I built which people still play and it really is a great feeling to imagine them out there, and an even better one to return and join in! even when changes are made it's amazing because someone is out there making it happen, and I'm just happy for that.

I try not to focus on it too much but there is a small part of me which can't help but take my course in my own imagination to vast stages of devolopment. Having the design,playability, and aesthetic top notch is the baseline but also I dream of tournaments, league, aces, hot rounds, and I continue on to cabins for rent, x country ski/ hiking trails, multiple layouts, a proshop, ect....All these visions dance around nebulously in my head and I never commit to any of the distant ones in my own mind (too far away, will seem daunting or cloud my daily focus) but I can feel them out there as distinct possibilities, made more possible by seeing myself build a tiny house in 3 months and a pretty playable course in under a year. So I know these things can happen. It's just a matter of not putting the cart before the hoarse while enjoying what I have to play now.

We will definitely be adding inner chains, it's already been discussed. There have been enough spit outs that it's happening soon after getting all the baskets. We want to make the baskets semi permanent due to neighbors who like to steal our stuff. They have taken many things off our land, including a practice basket in the past. Their family will kick to problem peeps out occasionally, but they always come back. We got our other basket back from them last time they were absent, but we don't want to take chances. It's too bad, because everyone else that lives around is is fine, it's just one real piece of trash family that causes the problems. Fortunately the conduit is going to run $7 a basket, so the money is not too bad, it's mainly the labor.

Cool. It's unfortunate you have worry bout theft. They will look nice without the stand and also you can play with the height a little bit if you have a few spots where you want to do this. I don't mind the instep spit outs because it just makes me focus more on my putting. I only plan to get extra chains so I dont have to hear others bitch ( well... I won't mind either really! But 8 more baskets is priority one. For the course )

Unrelatedly i have a sick hookup for number 10 cans so I will have tone pole b placements for every hole this year.

Last edited:
If none of them disappear maybe we won't bother. Two or three of the baskets would make them really wander onto the property a good ways, so they may not be at risk.

We thought about playing with the height a bit on some holes. We also want to mount a few on some slopes that the stands don't let you do. As for chains, I've never had a problem practicing with a basket that's unforgiving, I would like my regular rounds to be on a better basket.

Log shim's are a little primitive but work fine for the instep stands on slopes. mine are under snow or I'd take some pics. I think a few baskets higher here or there are great although I haven't tried anything like this.

This was one of the cool dreams that is coming alive. When I designed the course I wanted to put an elevated island in. Maybe 6 inches up and surround by rocks. Somethig simple but different. I got an email saying they were tweaking my design. It is now 28 inches high in front 40 inches in the back. It's 45 feet round. It is so much cooler then I had imagined. It's great to see someone take your idea and make it so much sweeter

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 73

Latest posts