• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Expensive for the sake of being expensive

If a comet and a roc had a baby, you end up with a VRoc.

Not a bad description. It's not a bad disc, just not something that should have the Roc name association. If they had called it something else, it might actually gain some popularity.

My thought exactly. For fun, I typed in "roc" to disc golf center... look at all of them! It's madness!
http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_displayProductList.php?sn=roc

Yeah, but that's mostly because DGC has a separate, searchable entry for every year of USDGC Rocs. Those are mostly just Rancho Rocs and they are all ALSO listed under the "Roc" entry in that list. The search on DGC's site is not very good.

There are actually only 6 separate Roc mold variations in that list: San Marino, Ontario, Rancho, Roc3, Roc+, and VRoc. I will grant you that this might be a few too many, but given how long the Roc has been around and how popular it is, it's not so bad. Honestly, having the option to buy new San Marino or Ontario mold Rocs is really nice because it keeps people from having to pay out the nose collector prices for throwers when they want to replace their older Rocs. I'd say the world could probably do without the Roc+ and VRoc, but that's just my own opinion.

Incorrect, it is a modified firebird mold. Not the same as a regular firebird you can pick up from anywhere. The Sextons are pretty much broken in firebirds.

what about a blue color glow CFR firebird or an x-out tourney stamp blue/green color glow firebird...is it not the same disc?

Welcome to throwing Legacy. They release all kinds of things in special limited runs, and the value immediately skyrockets because collectors hoard them all. The lightweight 1st run Pinnacle Outlaws are already selling for almost double the original price they sold for last month. Want to make a few bucks guaranteed? Buy a few Enemies the day they are released. Guaranteed they will be available for a day or more on the initial run, but 3 weeks later people will be falling over each other to pay $25-30 for one. It's frustrating because I really love the plastic, but it's impossible to find backups once you like something. If you didn't get it on the first release, you're paying a huge premium.

What cracks me up is the people paying way over list price without checking to see if they are still in stock anywhere. I saw first run Outlaws selling for $25-30 on the collector page when they were still available from multiple stores for $19.99. Yesterday someone was listing a sparkle Nemesis on the FB collector page for $25, they have like 20 of them in stock at Infinite Discs for $17.99.

This is exactly what is keeping me from throwing a lot of Legacy. I can't seem to find Patriots in my 170 range, and good luck finding rivals in the Mid 160s.

WTF is a VRoc anyway???

Man where is Vrocs mentioned here, I haven't seen a lot of price hikes on those except for the EO Vroc3s, but those were released to be collectors. The La Mirada are sitting at $25 shipped last I talked to somebody, but that isn't too bad considering the were $19.99 at the pro shop. But yes they are like a mako and a roc had a beaded baby to me. Great discs, I am hoping when they come out with some form of pro they aren't done in small batches and then suffer the woes this thread is speaking of.

I think the question really revolves around the question of, "how much do I want my disc to fly like the one I just lost."

We have all had that magical disc, that once lost, simply has no exact replacement.

I love Wasps. Wasps are stock discs, and I could easily find and pick up a Wasp. However, I would gladly pay $5 more for a flattop instead of a domey one. Now, am I ever going to shell out $20 extra bucks for a flat top Wasp, no.

Cranks on the other hand are available in a multitude of plastics and weights. I should be able to pick anyone off the shelf and it would work, right? Wrong. I have tried Cranks in all plastics, and IMO, the best is the Sparkle Z Ledgestone Cranks. The flight, for me, just more reliable. I would have no problem paying $10-15 extra for one of these if I lost it. ( I already have a stack of backups)

what about a blue color glow CFR firebird or an x-out tourney stamp blue/green color glow firebird...is it not the same disc?

I have been wondering this as well. Would make for a cheaper replacement if they do not do another run. Kinda holding out that they still do. They really are great throwers and shouldn't be horded. Same for any disc; they are made to be thrown.

But I do agree. It is worth it to find a disc that flies like one you just lost.

Last edited:

Not exactly. The color glow CFRs I've handled are slightly gummier and domier than the good first batch of Sextons (they're more like the second batch of Sextons, which I'd not shell out extra cash for).

I think the question really revolves around the question of, "how much do I want my disc to fly like the one I just lost."

We have all had that magical disc, that once lost, simply has no exact replacement.

I love Wasps. Wasps are stock discs, and I could easily find and pick up a Wasp. However, I would gladly pay $5 more for a flattop instead of a domey one. Now, am I ever going to shell out $20 extra bucks for a flat top Wasp, no.

Cranks on the other hand are available in a multitude of plastics and weights. I should be able to pick anyone off the shelf and it would work, right? Wrong. I have tried Cranks in all plastics, and IMO, the best is the Sparkle Z Ledgestone Cranks. The flight, for me, just more reliable. I would have no problem paying $10-15 extra for one of these if I lost it. ( I already have a stack of backups)

Exactly. I recently paid 25€ in auction for two EO2009 P-line PDs _each_ just because I have one exactly like them in the bag and wanted a replacement in case. Way too much, but I didnt want to be forever kicking myself that I did not get them when I had the chance.

Now, is it reasonable to have tough to replace discs in the bag is a different question. I try not to put in any new ones like that, but the ones already in there are ones I love to throw and I dont want to go through the process of finding out-of-the-box replacements for them. I dont lose discs that often either, so its not crazy.

I have bought quite a few discs for investment purposes only and have done very well. My most recent sale was a protostar Thunderbird that I bought for $12+tax and sold for $89.99-fees, only had the disc about 7 months.

When I look through people's used bins most of what I am looking for is purely for resale value down the road.

Am I going to retire on disc sales? No. But if you totaled up every dollar I have spent buying discs and every dollar I have made selling I am at the point where I have more than broken even and I still have lots of discs to sell.

The key is smart purchases and patients.

Lol...

This is exactly what is keeping me from throwing a lot of Legacy. I can't seem to find Patriots in my 170 range, and good luck finding rivals in the Mid 160s.

Not sure which specific type of Rival you're looking for but I saw a bunch of mid 160s on Marshall Street in Icon and Pinnacle.

I've always said the difference between this and something like beanie babies or sports cards is this has a value away from collecting. Specific runs and plastics will always fetch a high price because people throw them and want to replace their beloved throwers. I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what one "does" with a beanie baby. Obviously the collector/resale market is a little ridiculous but if someone want's to buy 300$ worth of frisbees to turn around sell them for 325$ a few weeks later, I'm not going to knock anyone's hustle.

I'm a sucker for the used bin at my local shop or at PIAS, there's always something good in there and its usually already broken in for me. I follow a disc auction page on facebook, and it is sometimes amazing how much cash someone will plop down of some of these collector discs. I understand the addiction, but I don't have the cajones to spend 80 bones on a disc.

Nothing is surprising about this behavior. It happens in almost every scene where there are different runs of product or 'special years' where they were doing so-and-so and before they started doing so-and-so.

Vintage guitars & amps. Cars. Stereo components & record players. Its all insane.

It is always hard to come to terms with the fact that certain people have way more money than you are willing to spend and it means absolutely nothing to them. This seems especially tough for poor disc golfers (because its always been a 'cheap' sport to get into).

If anyone can't figure out why you would spend a premium on discs then don't. Disc golf is my main hobby and throwing older discs makes me happy. Do 11x gazelles make me a better player? NO! But I started discing in the 10x era and have been throwing them ever since and enjoy the way they fly. I think some people feel super righteous for "ONLY EVER" paying stock prices. How others spend their discing dollar shouldn't effect someone else.

Those self-righteous stock-price-only throwers have obviously never taken a shower with a pearly, board-flat, semi-gummy 2004 USDGC Ring of Rocs Rancho Roc.