• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Experimental Bag.What do you guys think?

StarFirebird

Banned
My Distances on Average
Putters - 220ft - 250ft,
MidRanges - 270ft-300ft
Drivers - 325ft - 380ft

Long Term Goals
I'm trying to get away from Chucking the disc,been working on more smooth throws and working on the forehand again.I don't really want to be that Big Distance Driver anymore,I feel I have to force myself which causes shoulder pain and not so accurate throws.I want that Finesse game back that I used to have before I hurt my shoulder.

Discs I'm looking for
I'm mainly looking for anything that works real well with Finesse Drives and Midrange Drives.I'm also looking for a Utility Putter,mainly one on the really overstable side.

Drivers

167 Discraft Elite Z Avenger - Forehand Shots and Overstable Backhand Drives.Windy Days
169 Discraft Elite Z Predator - Forehand Shots and Overstable Fairway Drives.Windy Days
170 Discraft Z Stalker - Go to Driver right now.Very Straight with a Slow Fade at the end.
170 Discraft Elite Z Flick - Utility Driver.Mainly Overhands and get out of trouble Forehand shots.
170 Discraft 2001 Edition Cyclone - Basically it's my Comet of drivers.
170 Innova Pro Destroyer - My Big Distance and Windy Day Driver.
169 Innova Star Sidewinder - Very Straight Driver with a little fade on the end.Good for tight Fairway Shots.
161 Innova Star Roadrunner - My Turnover Driver and shots that go right.My go to Roller.
166 Innova Champion 5xJK Valkyrie - My wooded low Ceiling driver.Good for big Turnover shots.
175 Innova 11xKC Pro Gazelle - Very good Stable Fairway Driver.

Mids:

176 Gateway Warrior - My Utility Midrange.Very good Overstable Mid and good for forehands.
174 Discraft Elite X Buzzz - Very Good Straight Mid with a small fade at the end.Mainly a low ceiling mid.
174 Discraft Elite X Comet - Form cleaning up disc.I use this all the time to work on form issues.
168 Innova Panther - Good Turnover Mid.Very easy to control.Doubles as a short range roller.
179 Innova 11xKC Pro Roc(Domey) - Farther Flying Stable mid.When I know the Buzz won't get there I use this Roc.
177 Innova 11xKC Pro Roc(Flat Top) - Straight Mid used for farther flying mid shots.

Putters:

2 175 Gateway Medium Wizards - Main Putters.
175 Gateway Medium Magic - Turnover Drives and Jump Putts.
175 Gateway Soft Voodoo - Straight Drives
175 Gateway Super Stupid Soft Voodoo - Straight Upshots and Turnover Upshots.
175 Gateway Evolution Pro-Line Wizard - Slightly Overstable Drives.

Are you looking for disc ideas to add to your bag, or input on your existing arsenal?
For you "Wants" list, here are my thoughts and what I throw:

I would describe it as an approach disc, but I think the Zone might be what you are looking for with in an OS putter. It's short-ranged, flat, and very OS.

For finesse drives, I'm getting a vision of tight tunnel shots and anything requiring pin-point accuracy over distance in my head. I like the Leopard for these -- Star to finish straight or to the right, Champion to fade out to the left (RHBH).

For the same type of disc in a mid-range (only shorter ranged), I prefer the Axis. It can finish either direction, resists wind fairly well, is very consistent at high and low-power shots, and will handle just about anything in the 100-300 ft range.

The zone id definitely what you are looking for as an OS putter, it is my favorite for tight throws from a distance because it is so consistent. it took a little bit of time to get used to as i have always had domy discs. As for finess midranges, i prefer an Innova mako. it has almost no fade which makes it very manipulatable to follow any line you need to throw it on. Mine is also 180g which makes it very useful in windy conditions.

Are you looking for disc ideas to add to your bag, or input on your existing arsenal?
For you "Wants" list, here are my thoughts and what I throw:

I would describe it as an approach disc, but I think the Zone might be what you are looking for with in an OS putter. It's short-ranged, flat, and very OS.

For finesse drives, I'm getting a vision of tight tunnel shots and anything requiring pin-point accuracy over distance in my head. I like the Leopard for these -- Star to finish straight or to the right, Champion to fade out to the left (RHBH).

For the same type of disc in a mid-range (only shorter ranged), I prefer the Axis. It can finish either direction, resists wind fairly well, is very consistent at high and low-power shots, and will handle just about anything in the 100-300 ft range.

Disc Ideas,Input, Good or Bad.

Is anything overlapping?Or do I need this disc instead of this one?

It was only a Year ago when I even knew anything about the faster drivers.I've kind of been under a Rock.I use to use Valkyries,Firebirds and Beasts as my main drivers and could Finesse them pretty good.Those Faster drivers sort of messed up may game so to speak and the only one I feel comfortable in throwing is the Destroyer.

I've also just recently got my feet wet with Discraft.So far I like the Buzzz,Comet and Stalker the best.Been working with the other ones.

Does Discraft make the Zone?I really do need a very overstable putter as it will do nicely for utility needs.

Leopard, I do have 1 or 4 :D ,but have been using my Cyclone as a teaching disk and having been making those shots you speak of.

How does the Axis compare to the rest of mids?Would it compliment or replace anything I already have?Who makes the Axis?Sorry I'm not too familiar with it.

The zone id definitely what you are looking for as an OS putter, it is my favorite for tight throws from a distance because it is so consistent. it took a little bit of time to get used to as i have always had domy discs. As for finess midranges, i prefer an Innova mako. it has almost no fade which makes it very manipulatable to follow any line you need to throw it on. Mine is also 180g which makes it very useful in windy conditions.

2 Zone suggestions...I'd say that's a pretty good indication that's the utility putter I need. :thmbup:

The Mako.You know I've never thrown one before.Does it throw similar to anything that I already have?Or is it pretty much in it's own class?

Seems like the sidewinder, roadrunner, and valk could all fill the same role?

Do you think I should take one or a few of them out in place of something else?

I'm up to try some new plastic for those finesse shots or really straight shots with not a lot of power.

It seems like you're over thinking....

You just got the Comet and Stalker yesterday but already they've become your "go-to" and you "use them all the time". Seems likely the Avenger, Pred, and Flick are all going to overlap for you, as well as the Sidewinder and Valk.

Overall, just too complicated and too many molds. 10 different drivers, 5 mids, 3 putters. Check out "How to Build a Bag"...

Do you think I should take one or a few of them out in place of something else?

I'm up to try some new plastic for those finesse shots or really straight shots with not a lot of power.

You don't need new plastic, you've got multiple discs that can fill the same slot. Choose one, ditch the other two.
Building a bag should be about simplicity. You don't want half a dozen discs that all basically do the same thing just because each one is a fraction more/less stable than the next.
My driver lineup looks like this,
Spd
Star roadrunner
11x firebird
That's it, all my drives are coverd with three discs while you're covering each type of drive with three discs.
Who's more likely to master their discs and get good consistent drives every time?
Get what I'm saying?

It seems like you're over thinking....

You just got the Comet and Stalker yesterday but already they've become your "go-to" and you "use them all the time". Seems likely the Avenger, Pred, and Flick are all going to overlap for you, as well as the Sidewinder and Valk.

Overall, just too complicated and too many molds. 10 different drivers, 5 mids, 3 putters. Check out "How to Build a Bag"...

The Sidewinder I could probably get rid of.I only use it for one shot as with the Valkyrie I use for multiple shots.

The Stalker is my go to driver now.For the types of throws I'm throwing the Stalker and it fits the bill precisely.It's just real easy to control.

The Comet is more of a Work on issues disc.Since I don't keep score,I throw it on every hole before I throw my actual drive.I've probably thrown it over hundred times so far in the past 3 days(been sick so I've been playing a lot of disc golf to catch up)

The Avenger and the Predator I can see could overlap,but not the Flick.I'm not a powerful guy and the only time I use Flick is on Utility forehanders and straight on tomahawks.The Avenger can fly farther for me and the Predator feels like a Eagle and flies about the same distance as a Eagle for me.I guess I should do a side by side on the Avenger and Predator and really see the differences.

What do you think?Less molds for drivers or multiples on some?More Midranges?The putters I'm fine with.I just need that Zone now and I'll be set
On my putters.

You don't need new plastic, you've got multiple discs that can fill the same slot. Choose one, ditch the other two.
Building a bag should be about simplicity. You don't want half a dozen discs that all basically do the same thing just because each one is a fraction more/less stable than the next.
My driver lineup looks like this,
Spd
Star roadrunner
11x firebird
That's it, all my drives are coverd with three discs while you're covering each type of drive with three discs.
Who's more likely to master their discs and get good consistent drives every time?
Get what I'm saying?

So basically I should just keep Multiples of what I'm good at throwing then.

Dang that's going to be tough to figure out which ones I don't really need.

Let's see Ditch the Valkyrie and Sidewinder for the Roadrunner(I like it best).
I want to keep my Cyclone and Gazelle to cover Fairway and shorter distance drives.

Ditch the Avenger for the Predator or vice versa.

Dang the Destroyer I like because I can really get some distance with it out in the open.I guess I could ditch it too.

The Flick I have to have for my Utility shots and in the crap shots.

Ok I think I get the idea.How's this look?

Distance Drivers
Roadrunner
Stalker
Predator

Fairway Drivers
Cyclone
Gazelle

Utility
Flick

Thumbs up maybe?

The Stalker, Cyclone, and Gazelle are 3 more discs that fall into the same category: stable slow fairway driver.

You don't have to go strict minimalist, but you're going to get negative feedback when you're carrying 3 different molds for several different types of driver (understable distance driver, stable fairway, stable/neutral mid, overstable control driver, and so on.)

The Destroyer is actually the only unique disc you're carrying...

The Stalker, Cyclone, and Gazelle are 3 more discs that fall into the same category: stable slow fairway driver.

You don't have to go strict minimalist, but you're going to get negative feedback when you're carrying 3 different molds for several different types of driver (understable distance driver, stable fairway, stable/neutral mid, overstable control driver, and so on.)

The Destroyer is actually the only unique disc you're carrying...

Thanks for the input.

So Take the Gazelle out and Keep my Destroyer for that distance when needed then?Ok then sounds good to me.

The Cyclone isn't as stable as it once was.I do have a First run Cheetah that I don't throw as much.Would taking the Cyclone out and putting in the Cheetah be a good idea?

Sorry to ask so many questions.I've been playing for a long time,but never really go into the whole "science" of disc golf until late last year.So i'm up for all the suggestions and help on things.

Looks a lot better.
Do you have a big need for mids on your home course? I don't but still keep a Wasp and gator, fh and bh with those covers most of my needs.
Don't be afraid to keep the destroyer if you have longer open holes, keep working on your fh and the destroyer can cover most of your long range stuff.
Of course the only way to know for sure is take it out for a test drive :D personally I'd give the new setup at least a few rounds before making any decisions. Generally the first couple rounds feel wrong and you wish you had you're old setup back.

Looks a lot better.
Do you have a big need for mids on your home course? I don't but still keep a Wasp and gator, fh and bh with those covers most of my needs.
Don't be afraid to keep the destroyer if you have longer open holes, keep working on your fh and the destroyer can cover most of your long range stuff.
Of course the only way to know for sure is take it out for a test drive :D personally I'd give the new setup at least a few rounds before making any decisions. Generally the first couple rounds feel wrong and you wish you had you're old setup back.

Thanks man.

Yeah the way the courses are set up here, Midranges are your best friend.
The Midranges I have covers all my shots that I need for that distance.The only thing I was lacking was the Overstable Mid which I recently purchased(Gateway Warrior).

Now I need the Zone.For my Putters. :D

I'm debating on taking out my old Cyclone for my older but still good 1st Run KC Pro Cheetah.I'm going to do some side by sides to see which one is really what I need.

It was suggested that I take out my Gazelle,but It just works so good for my low ceiling stable shots so I think I may just keep it in there.

Thanks for the help.I've been trying to soak up as much info as I can.Just because I'm good at Disc Golf newer players ask me a bunch of things and some I know and some I do not.With your guys help I now know a bit more. :thmbup:

Just got through messing with my dividers and was looking at my discs now.

Looks like my bag could be a winner now.Even though I never thought of it as being confusing it actually was.Now I can pick a driver and know what I actually need it for instead of having 2 or 3 that do something similar with the same distance.

I'll have 7 drivers - 1 big distance,3 distance,2 Fairway and my Utility get out of crap disc.

I'll have my 6 Mids I spoke of.

I'll have 6 Putters - Going to add a Super Soft Wizard(for filling sake) and will get myself a Zone tomorrow before I go out and throw tomorrow.

I'm also going to throw some extras in a box in the car.I have some extra Roadrunners,Wizards,Voodoos,Rocs,Buzzz's,Flick,Destroyers and I'll throw in my Cheetah's just for testing along side of my Cyclone.

Thanks again for the Help.I may post another thread about my bag,but hopefully this time it will be just for showing and explaining what they do. :D

Updated Bag

Bag Update and Changes

Drivers

New!174 Innova 11x KC Champion Firebird - Forehand Shots and Overstable Fairway Drives.Windy Days
170 Discraft Z Stalker - Go to Driver right now.Very Straight with a Slow Fade at the end.
170 Discraft Elite Z Flick - Utility Driver.Mainly Overhands and get out of trouble Forehand shots.
New!169 Innova 11xKC Pro Cheetah - Basically it's my Comet of drivers.Helps out with form flaws.Good short distance turnovers.
170 Innova Pro Destroyer - My Big Distance and Windy Day Driver.
161 Innova Star Roadrunner - My Turnover Driver and shots that go right.My go to Roller.
175 Innova 11xKC Pro Gazelle - Very good Stable Fairway Driver.

Mids:

176 Gateway Warrior - My Utility Midrange.Very good Overstable Mid and good for forehands.
174 Discraft Elite X Buzzz - Very Good Straight Mid with a small fade at the end.Mainly a low ceiling mid.
174 Discraft Elite X Comet - Form cleaning up disc.I use this all the time to work on form issues.Turnover Shots.
177 Innova 11xKC Pro Roc(Flat Top) - Straight Mid used for farther flying mid shots.

Putters:

175 Gateway Medium Magic - Turnover Drives and Jump Putts.
175 Gateway Soft Voodoo - Straight Drives
175 Gateway Super Stupid Soft Voodoo - Straight Upshots and Turnover Upshots.
New!174 Discraft Zone - Forehand Drives,utility disc and get of crap shots,overstable drives.

I took out a few discs and added a few.

Took out the Predator and replaced it with the old Champion Firebird I have.I realized after playing today I can replicate the same shots with the Firebird.

Took out the Cyclone and replaced it with my Innova 11x KC Pro Cheetah.They both fly practically the same except the Cheetah glides a bit further for me.So the Cheetah stays.

Went out and bought the Discraft Zone and boy am I glad I did.This has to the best overstable putter I've ever thrown.This thing is great for forehand shots,short tomahawks and overstable drives.

Found out that my Elite X Buzzz and my Domey 11x KC Pro Roc fly almost similar so I decided to take the Roc out.

Also now that I am more used to the Comet there is no need for my Panther anymore.On anyhyzer shots I am able to shape the same lines I could with the Panther.So the Panther had to go.

I'm debating on taking out the Roadrunner and putting in the Valkyrie again.I realized I used my Valkyrie more than my Roadrunner.There is one hole I roll my Roadrunner,but I'm sure with practice I can roll the Valkyrie there as well.

So what do you think of the changes?Good,Bad I'm all ears.

Another Bag Update :D

I've decided it's time to go back to my roots and quit experimenting with a lot of the new stuff.I did make one new addition that you don't see in many set-ups.

I've been going back to hyzer-flipping a lot of my discs and went back to my 2 finger grip I used when I was younger.I have had great success so far and This really feels like the bag that I will stick with.My scores have shown this.

Drivers

174 Innova 11x KC Champion Firebird - Forehand Shots and Overstable Drives.Windy Days

NEW 175 Innova Star Firebird - My bread and butter utility disc.Very flat and not domey like my 11x.Took her out for a bit,but she is now staying in the bag.

170 Discraft Z Stalker - Very Straight with a Slow Fade at the end.Much farther throwing TeeBird.

NEW 167 Innova Star Teebird - Nice and beat in.Flies straight,hyzer or anhyzer.On shorter drives where I don't need the Stalker I call on the Teebird.

NEW Innova 171 Champion Archon - Still working with this one.Flies like a much longer Valkyrie.

NEW Innova 166 5x JK Valkyrie - Hyzerflip straight shots.Roller shots.Big Anhyzers.Wooded Shots.

NEW Innova 173 5x JK Valkyrie - More stable Valkyrie.Flies great in the woods for those stable controlled hyzerflip drives.

NEW 175 Champion Beast(Old Mold) - Stable Wind Driver.Can get some big drives in the wind.Line shaping disc.

NEW 170 Star Beast - Less stable than my Champion.Beat in a little.Works great for those S shots and big distance in a Tailwind.Line Shaping.

Midranges

174 Discraft Elite X Comet - Form cleaning up disc.I use this all the time to work on form issues.Turnover Shots.

Putters:

175 Gateway Medium Magic - Turnover Drives and Straight Drives
175 Gateway Super Stupid Soft Voodoo - Straight Upshots and Turnover Upshots.Jump putter.
174 Discraft Zone - Forehand Drives,utility disc and get of crap shots,overstable drives.

Summary:

I know some may say that my drivers overlap a bit.My Beasts and Valkyries are my bread and butter and there is no hesitation on which one I need to use.I know there is 9 drivers in my bag,but I know how each one will perform and that gives me confidence on my shots.More confidence = better scores.

The Archon so far looks like the disc I will be using for those 390ft plus shots.It's fun throwing this disc.It feels like a Valkyrie on steroids.The rim of the disc is just slightly bigger than my Beasts so It feels great in the hand.

I went back to using my Super Stupid Soft Voodoo for Jump putts.It just feels better in the hand and has more glide than my Magic has.

After using the Stalker for so long and getting use to the disc I started throwing my beat in Star Teebird.This is a perfect match for my Stalker.There is no need for my Gazelle and Cheetah anymore.

In a way it was good to do all this experimenting.There has been others I have experimented with that I have not posted.All this did was give me a good idea of what I can throw and what I cannot throw.

Going back to my roots on my drivers has helped my game out a bunch.I never should have took My Valkyries and Beast out of my bag.I blame the speed 12+ discs. :D

I've started to gain my confidence back and will be playing in some upcoming AM tournaments and Doubles once again.

Thanks again guys for all of the suggestions and new things for me to try out.It helped me realize what a proper bag should feel like.

Last edited:
Why is the Stalker longer than the Teebird? That doesn't jive with me.

Why is the Stalker longer than the Teebird? That doesn't jive with me.

It's odd I know.Even guys at the course say the same thing.It could be just my style of throwing.

The Stalker(for me) Glides farther and is a tick faster.I've thrown them side by side(adjusting for the Slightly beat Teebird) and the Stalker goes a bit farther and Hyzers out a bit more.It's much easier to control as well.

Edit.

Sometimes I wish people could see me throw this disc to see that it does go farther.:D

Last edited:

Latest posts