• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Explorer

Would this disc be a candidate for Retro? From what I've read it sounds like a good candidate for baseline plastic.

This disc is great. I finally got my hands on a gold line that I'm going to throw tomorrow. Started out way more OS than it is now. Very straight like a saint with no turn at 330 feet. Hard time between this and the spark with the explorer being a sneak farther

Just got my opto x explorer out to the field and it is probably my favorite version I've thrown. Its slightly flatter and firmer than my opto first runs. The PLH height is a tiny bit higher. Stability wise it is mildy more stable than my first runs. Thrown close to full power it is hardly noticeable but when powered down it becomes more evident. Wish the opto x was a normal production run and more affordable.

Okay.... decided to take my champion Teebird (175) out of the bag today and replace it with an Explorer for a couple rounds. I had never seen or thrown an Explorer until today. Its a gold line burst 172g. Plastic is very shiny, smooth, and a little gummy. Seems like a perfect plastic blend.

The disc is simply outstanding. It flies just like a Teebird, but I think it glides a tick better and seems to get downrange easier. Extremely steerable, accurate fairway driver. From the first throw I felt like I could put this thing right on the basket consistently. Pretty neutral flight. The Explorer stays dead straight for a long while before gradually (and gracefully) fading. The fade isn't dumpy and your shot won't end up horribly off line due to drastic fade.

The Explorer seemed perfect for shots 350' to 375'. I got it up to 400' a couple times, but it felt like I needed a lot of arm to do so. For me the Explorer flew like a slightly slower Thunderbird or Getaway. It handled every shot well and without any high speed turn. There was a breeze today and the Explorer seemed unaffected.

Explorer: 8, 5, 0, 2. I gave it an extra bit of speed rating over a Teebird. I feel like the Explorer penetrates better and seems very slightly faster than a Teebird. It glides very well without getting floaty, and the wind didn't seem to push it around. I'd highly recommend this disc for anyone who loves Teebirds or Thunderbirds. A very versatile, accurate fairway driver. You can crank on it without fear of flipping it over.

I've thrown this disc for about a week or two - I tend to get torque happy with it: smooth easy releases is the key.

I've thrown this disc for about a week or two - I tend to get torque happy with it: smooth easy releases is the key.

I was releasing it flat and hard. The Explorer did just fine on hard rips and stayed straight. I was very impressed with how well the disc flew. IMO it outperformed a Teebird.

Yeah, I really dig the opto x version too. seems like it really came out of the mold in a unique fashion compared to the original.

comparing it to my opto glows, a tournament stamp the disc is definitely different.

basically I purchased the opto x's for a hard rigid summer plastic. the thing is beef and feels and flies like a broken in felon.

the tournament glows are pop top, semi rigid opto blend. great straight flyers.

this mold is getting my vote for the best new mold of 2017. nothing else comes to mind in the fairway class.

Yeah, I really dig the opto x version too. seems like it really came out of the mold in a unique fashion compared to the original.

comparing it to my opto glows, a tournament stamp the disc is definitely different.

basically I purchased the opto x's for a hard rigid summer plastic. the thing is beef and feels and flies like a broken in felon.

the tournament glows are pop top, semi rigid opto blend. great straight flyers.

this mold is getting my vote for the best new mold of 2017. nothing else comes to mind in the fairway class.

I've been dabbling a bit in fairway drivers lately. I've thrown the Longbowman, Musket, Getaway, and now the Explorer. Tough to say which of these I liked the best, but the Explorer was absolutely dialed in today. L64 absolutely got this mold right.

IDK if anyone has asked but do you guys think the explorers with Ricky's sig will be of any value with his move?

How do Explorers beat in? LSS or HSS first? Does dome matter to how glidey or OS they are?

Anybody thrown these Test Plastic Explorers? Mine just came in the mail but The weather is supposed to be terrible for the next week :(

Hows stability goes with different plastics? Opto, moonshine and recycled? Any different ?

I've got 5 of these I do field work with. Opto in blue, weights over 173 are the most stable. Opto in white seems to be most neutral.

The Opto Air even seems to hold its stability well in weights 158-160, my 155 is a dead straight bullet with only a tic of fade right at the end.

The Opto X at 175 didn't seem to be any different than the Opto blue.

How do Explorers beat in? LSS or HSS first? Does dome matter to how glidey or OS they are?

I would say they go rather simultaneously, my straight Gold-x is really just straight on a hyzerflip, even turning into something resembling a FD at this point. 😅

Dome seems to be what initially makes the Opto more stable and anything with more dome that that, like the recycled, I gave away.

Decodye and Snow had a opto dome and also flew incredibly straight on a max distance hyzerflip, sometimes they match my Flows at distance on a 375' shot with small turn and fade.

Would this disc be a candidate for Retro? From what I've read it sounds like a good candidate for baseline plastic.

Not to answer my own question, but I picked up a couple retro burst Explorers when they came out. They do start out nice and stable, and I haven't hit enough with it to particularly alter its flight. It has great cycling potential.

I have been using the Opto Explorer in 175g for about a month now. This is now my favorite fairway driver when I need something to go straight with a little fade at the end. It has helped me get two CTPs at the local league and a parked drive on hole 2 at the AWOL course, which I have struggled to do last year. :D

You know, I liked the flight of the Explorer - compares nicely to a stable FD, TL, or DX teebird. But at the end of the day I didn't find the rim or plastic particularly comfortable, especially compared to say, a star FD or TL/3.

Great disc, just not quite as great as my preferred fairways. Thoughts?

I love the Explorer, but just like the Teebird it has that really sharp bottom of the rim which does not feel nice in the hand. Flies great tho

Latest posts