• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Facebook, Twitter or Instagram?

Which do you use? Check all that apply.

• Twitter

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • Instagram

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Facebook

Votes: 72 56.7%
  • None

Votes: 43 33.9%

• Total voters

randomatt

Bogey Member
I'm curious...what social networks are you all on? Is it mostly Facebook? Is Instagram more popular than Twitter? I have no idea, so I thought I'd ask.

Which one do you use the most?

I don't use any of them.
Probably uncommon for a 36 year old fella.

None here. I'm 28

For those of you who said "None"...where do you find out about disc golf tournaments, leagues and whatnot?

Word of mouth. My DG buddies are more than happy to talk about upcoming events so I often hear it anyway, or I can ask and be told within seconds.

A buddy of mine is a TD as well so he's always promoting verbally and on social media. Doesn't hurt there's posters hung around my local courses, and if not I can always check my local DG website.

I only have an account on FB, but I hate using it. Pretty much only family and boy scouts on there right now. As soon as my boy is done, I'm deactivating.

I do get a small amount of league info there though. Mostly DGScene for tournaments

We have a pretty active local scene with two B&M shops with their own websites. I get most of my info there or on PDGA site. I will occasionally look at the local FB page but i'm not a member. Plus the local shops and the various clubs in the region coordinate the best they can scheduling events and usually have a pretty thorough list available by mid winter to early spring.

Last edited:
All depends.. Insta is 4 sure the most popular with younger peeps and snapchat as well. Twitter is good for connecting with bigger names on the fly or following interests. Facebook has become weird for biz. Purposes with the adds etc but very popular obviously. Ive become to really hate it though.

None. And if I want info on leagues and tourneys, I know who to turn to locally.

I reluctantly got a facebook account so I could keep up with the local disc golf scene, mostly so I know when to avoid some random leagues or event. That's all I use it for though, and once in a while to find the owner of a disc. Other than that, I don't use it, I think social media is/has become ridiculously trivial and mind numbing and I don't really care to have cyber space friends (real ones are enough of a pain in the ass as it is some times).:eek:

Facebook: Having gone to school in Boston, my college was one of the first 10-15 to join the website, having to actually petition to get our school's .edu added to the servers so we could even create an account. It was cool and exclusive at the time, and I remember watching a lot of my high school friends pop up as their colleges got added to the list. When it opened to anyone (high school / adults), it exploded in a lot of ways I wasn't happy with. Over time the content of my peers changed - posts and pictures of bikinis and drinking turned into pictures of weddings and babies. Nothing wrong with that, mind you, but it became more about "staying in touch" with life events than seeing what people were up to immediately. Since then, it has become a landfill for who can share the stupidest video they've seen that day, and even after trimming my friends list down, I can scroll for 20 minutes and get roughly 2 posts I'm remotely interested in. It has become a bigger waste of time attempting to scroll through my feed than actually contacting someone, not to mention the ads.

Two ways I still use it that its great for:
1) A lot of courses have a FB page and they will post upcoming tourney info, league results, etc. I've attended tourney's that I only ever heard about through FB.
2) Since almost everyone I know is on FB - the "Events" section gets used a lot. Having a Halloween party? Bday party? etc.? Create an event and invite everyone via FB. My sister didn't get invited to our sister-in-law's bday party recently because she doesn't have FB anymore and nobody remembered that fact and forgot to invite her via text/call. That was very funny to me.

Instagram: For following people and tours. My feed is 90% disc golf. Follow all the pros, follow all the tours, and see clips and posts about every major event out there. It does somewhat kill the excitement of watching the post produced stuff when you've watched clips of 6/10 of the shots already on your phone and know the scores, but I know what I'm doing when I watch them. Otherwise, follow other famous people. Comedians are funny, politicians are a joke (not in a good way), follow Dwayne Johnson or some other fit-person if you want gym motivation, etc. etc.

Twitter: Well, its not censored, so be careful what you get into. There are too many hashtags you can take advantage of to completely avoid this app, coupons/deals, etc. A major convention I enjoy going to posts when their tickets go on sale via their twitter feed, and sells out within hours, so getting that notification is important to me. Otherwise most things on Twitter can also be found on Instagram. I really only open this app if I'm really bored / have already caught up on Instagram, or have already gotten frustrated with FB. This is all assuming there's even time for that (yay for bathroom breaks!).

For those of you who said "None"...where do you find out about disc golf tournaments, leagues and whatnot?

I am bound to hear about any league in Madison from people while playing.

Almost all tourneys I want to play I already know about - they don't usually spring up out of nowhere.

The guy that runs the private course nearby sends all his updates about things happening there, and about his winter temp courses via text, so I got that covered.

Mike includes league/glide series info in the league emails, so also no FB needed there.

DGCR is already too much social media for me...

None, they are awful and obviously are the vehicle for devastating this nation, at the moment. In Michigan, Disc Golf Scene is the end all, be all for tournament information.

Seconded. :thmbup:

Disc Golf Scene covers every league, event and tournament in Michigan so its my one stop shop for DG related events.

None but I don't play tournaments, leagues or any other organized events. I just play casual. A couple of my buddies are on social media (FB for sure, not sure about other platforms) and it's their job to steer the group away from courses with events going on.

I use all three, but Facebook is most useful for disc golf information.

Facebook. It is THE communication forum for disc golf around here---tournaments, clubs, lost discs, contacting people, conversations.

My viewpoint is that it's a tool---just depends on how you want to use it. 95% is garbage or worse, but it's so vast that the useful 5% amounts to a lot. For me, anyway.

Which is sort of how I feel about these forums. Well, not so harshly. 90% of DGCR is of zero interest to me, but it's so big that the remaining 10% is THE communication forum for the larger disc golf world. For me.

I don't use it, but Facebook is king around ATL. You can find stuff on DG scene, but Facebook ia where everything lives.

Only twitter for me though. I mainly use it because sports news is near immediate and so easily customizable.

I use none of them and I am 35. Like Brutus said in Cincy the B&M's have decent websites and plan early enough to be prepared for the events

None. DGCR and a couple of other hobby related forums are as close to social media as I get.

As far as leagues and tourneys, I haven't had time to participate in any for a few years. I generally plan to play 1 tourney a year, but haven't been able to make it work for a couple of years. Our local tournament series (Illinois Open Series) has it's own website, so I would check there for info. I prefer the way they run events to any of other tourneys that I've played; so I don't need to know about any other local tourneys. Since I'll be playing at most 1 per year, I can be selective.

Latest posts