• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fast, Easy, Cheap Tee Pads - Any Ideas?

PolyUrethane those boards. That will keep moisture out for a while. But I do have a suggestion.....when doing the top of the boards, where players will be doing their run-ups, etc....mix some sand with the paint or urethane....that will provide traction even when the boards get wet. Don't just sprinkle it on top after painting/coating the wood....mix it in with whatever you are using.

A couple courses near me use concrete hog slats for tees. Not sure where they get them tbh but I don't think they're prohibitively expensive

I don't know where you buy your concrete hog slats, but they're very expensive in my area. :D

But seriously, I had to do a search to find out what a concrete hog slat was. I checked several websites and almost all of them said "call for price"...I did not call. I found one place where they were $300 each for a 4'x10'.

In my opinion, there is no "fast, easy, cheap" tee pad solution. If there was it would have been found already.

(for the non-farmers out there, concrete hog slats are used as flooring in swine barns. They have slots in the concrete so waste will pass through to an area below)

I don't know where you buy your concrete hog slats, but they're very expensive in my area. :D

But seriously, I had to do a search to find out what a concrete hog slat was. I checked several websites and almost all of them said "call for price"...I did not call. I found one place where they were $300 each for a 4'x10'.

In my opinion, there is no "fast, easy, cheap" tee pad solution. If there was it would have been found already.

(for the non-farmers out there, concrete hog slats are used as flooring in swine barns. They have slots in the concrete so waste will pass through to an area below)

I'd heard they were around 50 bucks a pop but I must admit I did zero research and honestly don't know where to even get them so I'd have to take your word for it lol

I'd heard they were around 50 bucks a pop but I must admit I did zero research and honestly don't know where to even get them so I'd have to take your word for it lol

You probably have to be in an area with a lot of swine farms to even find them. I did a little more searching and the best price I found was $70 each for used.

If I could get 4'x10' ones at $50-70 a piece I would buy them for my course. They would be cheaper than 18" pavers which is what I use now and would be much easier to install. :clap:

fast, easy, cheap...pick 2.

fast, easy, cheap...pick 2.

The most important quality is "good". If a tee pad isn't good then it doesn't really matter if it is fast, easy & cheap.

Another important quality - long lasting.
I've see packed gravel/cinders surrounded by a wood frame that was cheap and easy, but after a few weeks they were rutted out and a little dangerous. :wall:

You probably have to be in an area with a lot of swine farms to even find them. I did a little more searching and the best price I found was $70 each for used.

If I could get 4'x10' ones at $50-70 a piece I would buy them for my course. They would be cheaper than 18" pavers which is what I use now and would be much easier to install. :clap:

I'm in west central Indiana and there probably are more pigs than people out here so you may be on to something there :p

Aren't they too smooth and thereby slick since they are made to not retain "material" on them?

I've not had any slippage issues but If it was raining I could see that maybe being an issue now that you mention it

Tees installed!

Last night tees markers were installed. Went with 30" piece of treated wood decking painted red on top and two coats of weather seal on bottom surface.

Ground was soft so area was prepped by string trimming grass to dirt, flattening surface, and stomping to level off. Some are a bit proud so we will add some fine dirt to bring to level.

Secured with two 12" stakes into predrilled holes.

Thanks for input.

Last night tees markers were installed. Went with 30" piece of treated wood decking painted red on top and two coats of weather seal on bottom surface.

Ground was soft so area was prepped by string trimming grass to dirt, flattening surface, and stomping to level off. Some are a bit proud so we will add some fine dirt to bring to level.

Thanks for input.

Pictures, or it did not happen. :)

Thanks for input.

Please let us know how these are doing in a few months!
My concerns will be that the teepads will be "slippery when wet" and the wood will eventually warp.

picture attached. I'm expecting them to last at least a few years. As I mentioned to start the post, we have 8 courses, limited funds, and little help so it's hard to get on funding list.

One day cement pads! Good news is White and Blue already have cement.

Played on some of these rubber mats this afternoon. They had a little wood frame set into the ground, I assume layers of rock under, and a heavy, rubber mat that was bolted into the ground on all four corners. Really liked them. It was nice to be able to do a run-up without worrying about tripping or leaping up onto a platform in the midst. They were big, like I could start on the mat and do OK. Amazing

Played on some of these rubber mats this afternoon. They had a little wood frame set into the ground, I assume layers of rock under, and a heavy, rubber mat that was bolted into the ground on all four corners. Really liked them. It was nice to be able to do a run-up without worrying about tripping or leaping up onto a platform in the midst. They were big, like I could start on the mat and do OK. Amazing

The course with the simple wood slabs actually had experience with rubber mats. Some 10 plus years ago rubber mats minus the wood frames. The mowers eventually tore them up.

Park remembers the experience and has no interest in rubber mats, turf or carpet type tees.

Please let us know how these are doing in a few months!
My concerns will be that the teepads will be "slippery when wet" and the wood will eventually warp.

End of season update

Tee pad condition - Very few showed wear spots. I was surprised with natural tees. I believe the fact that the course has 3 sets of tees the wear at any given tee pad is minimal. White and Blue have Cement pads.

Tee Boards - More paint wear than expected. Still obviously red tees but paint is worn particularly on open holes. Will likely need paint next year. For sure the year after. I would not recommend stenciling info on boards that definitely would have become difficult to read. No mower damage, Stakes remain in tact and boards are flush to ground. Boards are completely exposed with exception of one board where long grass has obscured part of tee board. Not concerns about being slippery.

Conclusion - Pleased with everything but paint wear. I used rustoleum latex paint. Applied with a brush.

I'm pleased with the quick fix. remembering we have a small group that maintains many courses with limited resources (time & money). Thanks again for everyones input.

End of season update

Tee pad condition - Very few showed wear spots. I was surprised with natural tees. I believe the fact that the course has 3 sets of tees the wear at any given tee pad is minimal. White and Blue have Cement pads.

Tee Boards - More paint wear than expected. Still obviously red tees but paint is worn particularly on open holes. Will likely need paint next year. For sure the year after. I would not recommend stenciling info on boards that definitely would have become difficult to read. No mower damage, Stakes remain in tact and boards are flush to ground. Boards are completely exposed with exception of one board where long grass has obscured part of tee board. Not concerns about being slippery.

Conclusion - Pleased with everything but paint wear. I used rustoleum latex paint. Applied with a brush.

I'm pleased with the quick fix. remembering we have a small group that maintains many courses with limited resources (time & money). Thanks again for everyones input.

Was thinking about this thread the other morning at the beach where they had these heavy, textured walkway panels with aluminum stakes over the sand. I think it was aluminum with a textured rubber surface and slotted holes at the corners with heavy aluminum stakes that were C shaped so they sat with a flat surface when they were hammered in. That walk was getting a ton of traffic. Super heavy duty.

Anyway, you might look at something like Seal Once for the boards as it will waterproof them very well and it penetrates so it doesn't wear off like a sealant.

Latest posts