• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Favorite 21.5mm Distance Driver?

fav mold?

• Total voters
Photon > Orbital > Wave > Phase

Photon has been a game changer for me. A consistent supply of flat Destroyers, yes please and thank you.

When I can get the Orbital right it's magical. When I eff it up not so much. It's like a delicate little flower which needs to be caressed oh so gently. It tries my patience

Have you tried lighter weights?

No, but I'm afraid they would get squirrelly. The flight line is good, but I have to throw it pretty flat, so if i flex it any for Max D I can't always count on it to come back.

Afraid in lighter weights Inmoght have to give it hyzer and my FH form is powerful but not yet that refined.

Photon>(slightly)Phase>Wave.

I haven't tried the Orbital. Light Waves are flippy enough (or more) for me. And I can get pretty good US distance from beat Switches, they are ninja long. Any (rare) time I need a longer US line, I prefer to rip one of the Photons on an anny.

I really like the Phase, I'm a fan of the crazy stuff uber-beef discs can do, but it's definitely mostly utility at my average D.

I've had a P Pho for over a week that I haven't had the chance to throw yet, but between the wts and N/F, they already cover most of my DD shots.

Orbital. Wave is a close second. Photon is awesome, and I love the Fission version. But I roll with a small bag, and on open courses, the Wave and Orbital are enough.

Phase is a distant fourth place. Way too much for my arm. Fireball is much more user friendly.

I've only thrown the Wave (and I love it), so it gets my vote.

Scott Stokely's video is correct, this mold goes very very far on midrange-like lines.

Photon>(slightly)Phase>Wave.

I haven't tried the Orbital. Light Waves are flippy enough (or more) for me. And I can get pretty good US distance from beat Switches, they are ninja long. Any (rare) time I need a longer US line, I prefer to rip one of the Photons on an anny.

I really like the Phase, I'm a fan of the crazy stuff uber-beef discs can do, but it's definitely mostly utility at my average D.

I've had a P Pho for over a week that I haven't had the chance to throw yet, but between the wts and N/F, they already cover most of my DD shots.

P Photon will add an uptick in stability vs N. at same weights in my experience. I find a P, N and F all in my bag for different things at 174, 3 and 144 respectively. Worth it.

As for my preference: PHOTONS!!!.......Wave!........................orbital (sweet Skulboy wall hanger. I've had my Lace phase and I'm okay to forego that slot). No use for a phase in my game currently, I'm all about baby flips to flat lasers with Photons and Craves. I'll pull the Proton Photon with some hyzer for fade.

How come? You thought the Wave/Orbital would beat out the Photon?

It doesn't surprise me that the gyrophobes would be the leading voters.

Wave, but not Orbital. Never thrown an Orbital, and from appearance and feel of that thing, I am afraid to.

If Terns didn't exist, I'd probably have at least three Waves and a Photon.

Looking to try out some of the MVP high speeds. I'm not too sure which ones are the favorites, I throw Pd2/DD and prefer more OS vs US drivers. Mainly looking for something to pair with the PD2, what are you all throwing for your main workhorse driver?

I've got the Photon (2), Inertia, Wave and just today an Orbital. I only had about an hour to to work with the Orbital with my field work before dark. It is understable but goes a long way with a hyzer flip. I putting it in my bag for tomorrow's round. I'm really liking the MVP distance drivers for consistency.

4 rill.

Seasoned 160s neutron and fresh max wt proton pair up sooooooo nice!

I was searching for that 160's beat in flight for a while until I got a Skullboy Wave in my Secret Santa package...that thing is a distance machine. I got about 400' down a 500' tight shot with that thing...loooooong s-curve with huge distance potential. I still think the Photon has a slight edge above the Wave for me, but not by much! :thmbup:

Yeah i can see a fresh wave vs lighter beat photon sort of overlapping but the OS mold gives you some more reliability in general vs raw d. I pretty much skipped over the wave and went right to orbital for that raw flippy D. Wave needed hyzer while even beat 166g photon will flex late out of anny from the same high distance line.

Yeah i can see a fresh wave vs lighter beat photon sort of overlapping but the OS mold gives you some more reliability in general vs raw d. I pretty much skipped over the wave and went right to orbital for that raw flippy D. Wave needed hyzer while even beat 166g photon will flex late out of anny from the same high distance line.

Stop. making. me. want. to. buy. more. plastic.

Looking to try out some of the MVP high speeds. I'm not too sure which ones are the favorites, I throw Pd2/DD and prefer more OS vs US drivers. Mainly looking for something to pair with the PD2, what are you all throwing for your main workhorse driver?

As others have said, the Photon is a Destroyer-type workhorse. I throw 375'-400', and can get these on nice straight-to-fade flights near that max. Very nice reliable distance disc that's sturdy enough to handle the wind but has lots of line shaping potential even if you don't have a monster arm. Personally I'd start with an upper 160s Neutron (though I have not tried the Protons) and go heavier or lighter from there if you want a slightly different flight.

The Wave is a worthwhile max D disc but is much more niche at my stated D. I really liked the max weights but didn't feel like they offered me enough to justify the learning process versus just continuing to throw my Laces (which are more squirrelly than the Wave but which I've been throwing for a few years and really know), so I haven't bagged them. I also picked up a low 160s Wave but it was *crazy* understable. I could barely throw it. I can't even imagine what the Orbital flies like.

Awesome thanks! I'll have to check the photon out and possibly the wave. Is the tesla worth checking out? Or does it overlap too much with the photon?