• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] FD2 - retooled

I don't use it very often (at least in winter) but it's a fantastic FH option when I don't need the HSS and LSS that the FD3 brings. It also allows me to have more HSS/LSS than an FD might provide if the wind has gotten up but I still want the same type of distance

I can see where the FD2 might be nice for forehands but since I'm probably 95-98% backhand it just didn't do anything special for me. My FD3's are Doombird III's and they're flat and not nearly as beefy as you would think. I actually get a similar flight and more distance with them than I can get with the FD2 so I just couldn't justify sticking an FD2 in my rotation.

Maybe I should drag my FD2's out and try to throw them forehand and see what happens.

Much like the Royal Rage, this run of FD2 is quite flat. Additionally, these came out a little stiffer than the Royal Rage which was in the Color Glow C-Line plastic.

Well, that's a little disappointing. I was hoping this would be like the softer jolly launcher-ish C-Line's I've felt up in my local store recently. That blend is much better suited for woods play IMO, which is one of the reasons I still want this disc in my bag. Now I'm wishing this was coming out in Swirly S-Line instead of the stiff C.

I can see where the FD2 might be nice for forehands but since I'm probably 95-98% backhand it just didn't do anything special for me. My FD3's are Doombird III's and they're flat and not nearly as beefy as you would think. I actually get a similar flight and more distance with them than I can get with the FD2 so I just couldn't justify sticking an FD2 in my rotation.

Maybe I should drag my FD2's out and try to throw them forehand and see what happens.

different arm speeds obviously

I use a DB3 and a DB2
My DB3 is more OS and less glide than my DB2 (I should say I have 2 DB2s...1 flat and 1 domey...the flat one is closer to a Thunderbird flight whereas the domey one is very OS)

given the stability on my DB3 I don't think I'd get it farther than by FD2
I suspect I'd get the DB2 farther tho

Got a pink first run scaled 173g. Pleased to see they were standard stock price. 👍

Dude at the shop says he's hearing they're flying like a beefy Eagle X. Profile seems more similar to an Eagle than anything else to me. Gonna throw it a bit this weekend.

Other than the foil, is there a difference between the first run and stock stamps?

I have one of each and I can't tell a difference. Grip, stiffness, and shape are the same between the two. Got four more showing up tomorrow. They do have the sharp flashing that the Royal Rages had, fwiw.

Yeah, these are beefy. I'm just working back into things and my BH form sux but I had to force flex it to get any distance BH. My FH form is better and I could mash on it pretty flat and get a tiny bit of turn, good straight distance and solid fade. Throwing it 300' plus.

I'm gonna say 7/4/0/2.5-3, beefy Eagle X flight sounds about right. Gonna have to see if I like it better than an Eagle. I think the FD2 gets the nod for FH but more research is required.

Totally different disc than the RR imop.

I'm still waiting on payday to pick mine up, y'all chill out on the dayglows. I do think it's interesting that the European release had the older style circle stamp, whereas here we have the larger font "originals" stamp.

Who leaves flashing intact? Crazies.

Can't stand flashing these days. I even started beveling sharp corners made by ill fitting mold pieces on the leading edge of wings. :thmbup:

Take the FD2 - the whole reason I wanted to try these and the RR was for feel; specifically, similar feel to my FDs. Why let sharp edges ruin that?

Edit: Picked up a blue first run (for a premium :/ ) from Disc Golf Depot in Portland. Haven't thrown yet. Feels stiff and beefy, hair more dome than my board flat RRs.

I just got back from playing a few holes with the stock C-FD2. I took a beat 166g Royal Rage, an 8/10 172g RR, plus 167g and 171g stock FD2s.

They have a very slight, slow rising dome to them which actually feels pretty nice in the hand. PLH is just about identical across all 4 discs. The plastic isn't super gummy, but I was pleasantly surprised with how flexible it is after hearing they were stiff.

The first thing I noticed was that the C-lines had a lot more glide out of the box. What I've heard is that they are more stable than the RR, but I found that both lighter weight ones would turn about the same in a small headwind. The 171g C-line and 172g RR held up in the same headwind, but the RR dropped out of the sky sooner. This is with some decent use on both of the RRs, but I always thought mine were a lot more OS than a lot of others described theirs as.

I think Discmania nailed it with this one. I'll probably bag the 171g C-line and see how it beats in, then make my decision on that vs. the Royal Rage.

Got my 3 blue C FD2 yesterday. Of course it snows over night but I will get out for a minute and huk them around. First impression is they feel awesome in the hand, I love the new stamps, and the slight dome makes this run feel closer to the FD. Very excited.

I practiced with them again yesterday, this time I took a fresh Royal Rage out. I am sticking with my original assessment that they are not more overstable than the Royal Rages. They are about the same with more glide. Definitely bagging it. My fairway lineup will be FD2, beat RR, C-line FD, with the FD2 being the workhorse.

I practiced with them again yesterday, this time I took a fresh Royal Rage out. I am sticking with my original assessment that they are not more overstable than the Royal Rages. They are about the same with more glide. Definitely bagging it. My fairway lineup will be FD2, beat RR, C-line FD, with the FD2 being the workhorse.

I picked up a FR FD2 but haven't thrown it yet, however I did get out to compare an Axiom Crave (174g Neutron) to my RRs and I have to agree that the RR fade was certainly dumpy by comparison - the Crave was regularly outpacing the RR by 30-40' on similar lines, but it is a half tick less HSS and LSS in my estimation.

If the FD2 has more glide and a more forward finishing fade than the RR then it could be a special disc, as it would be Crave-like but better for windy days. I can see the RR being complimentary for shots where distance control is paramount.

I picked up a FR FD2 but haven't thrown it yet, however I did get out to compare an Axiom Crave (174g Neutron) to my RRs and I have to agree that the RR fade was certainly dumpy by comparison - the Crave was regularly outpacing the RR by 30-40' on similar lines, but it is a half tick less HSS and LSS in my estimation.

If the FD2 has more glide and a more forward finishing fade than the RR then it could be a special disc, as it would be Crave-like but better for windy days. I can see the RR being complimentary for shots where distance control is paramount.

Seems like an apples and oranges thing. Crave would be more comparable to an FD, wouldn't it?

Seems like an apples and oranges thing. Crave would be more comparable to an FD, wouldn't it?

A Neutron Crave is somewhere between a DX TeeBird and an S line FD, but closer to a FD.
A Plasma Crave is closer to a DX TeeBird.

I don't have a lot of experience with FD's, so take that into consideration.

i think it's between the RR and FD, at least in heavier weights. My SFD hyper flips easier than the crave and has a super mellow fade. Would even say the Crave is more stable than the NS2 I used i have. I can lay into it and get a net straight flex shot, where all FDs i've had will turn to the right. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro