• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Feldberg putt style - Challenger / grip

zrxchris

Birdie Member
Working on adopting the Feldberg style of push putting and straight arm release farther out. I've been using Discraft (D plastic) challengers for awhile and have several which has helped me in the last year, being able to practice w/6 of the same putter.

Feldberg talks about using a hard/stuff putter.
Is the basic challenger considered a good putter for his style?

Also I have always had my forefinger on the rim of the disc since before I always did a loft drop in type style. I loose a lot of control when I pull my finger inside the rim and have had difficulty adopting his soft front hard from the back grip that he talks about. Any advice? With my finger on the rim I can grip harder in the back of my hand but when I move my finger to the inside of the rim I grip to hard I'm the front.

Thanks for any tips you have

Pro D challengers aren't known for being a "stiff" putter. G9i wizards, and kc aviars will give you a much more consistent release. Even soft wizards are much stiffer than pro d challengers. Its all about consistency

Pro D challengers aren't known for being a "stiff" putter. G9i wizards, and kc aviars will give you a much more consistent release. Even soft wizards are much stiffer than pro d challengers. Its all about consistency

Classic Judge (NOT classic soft!) are supposed to be pretty firm as well and...whattyaknow...that's what Feldberg putts with! But if Challengers feel right for you, then stick with them. Putters are a fickle beast...I've gone through so many over the years but just keep coming back to KC Aviars.

I digress. I've never tried Feldberg's putting style, because it always looked so weird to me (not Nikko Locastro weird, but weird) and I'm so much more comfortable being a spin putter. But I can say this: you can always take elements of someones style and add it to your own. It doesn't have to be an exact copy. My putting style is closer to Des Reading....but still not exact. You can do the same thing as far as how you hold the disc. Experiment, and practice, and I'm sure you'll find that you can use Feldberg's putt style while still holding the disc comfortably for you.

My putting style is loosely based on Dave's, but I putt with soft bangers and have a little more spin to them. Like above said take what works and make it your own. Confidence and consistency( same thing over and over and over, no matter the distance) is all you need.

My putting style is loosely based on Dave's, but I putt with soft bangers and have a little more spin to them. Like above said take what works and make it your own. Confidence and consistency( same thing over and over and over, no matter the distance) is all you need.

Same here. I started putting like Dave Feldburg and it turned into something else when I needed more distance. And now I use this hybrid putting style for every putt, no matter the distance. I stuck with the stiff putters though. The McPro Aviar. I don't think there's a stiffer putter out there. lol

Same here. I started putting like Dave Feldburg and it turned into something else when I needed more distance. And now I use this hybrid putting style for every putt, no matter the distance. I stuck with the stiff putters though. The McPro Aviar. I don't think there's a stiffer putter out there. lol

Agreed , i'm pretty sure if you shattered one it would be advised to watch out for shrapnel. You could probably stab someone with a Mcpro Shard as well.

I use Feldy's style, and it works well comfortably up to about 40-ft.... A lot of the people who can't get it to work either don't "hit" as they putt, or can't get the "feel" of the push from the palm of the hand with only wrist spring and without breaking your wrist. I'd have to see to help.

im trying to learn his jump putt. Its sick. Maybe if I get good at it I will can it as often as he does. (doubt it)

Pro D Challengers aren't really super stiff like Gateway's Medium plastic, but they're certainly stiff enough for push putting. The whole reason you want a stiff putter is so that the putter won't flex or bend while it's coming out of your hand. A Pro D Challenger should be stiff enough to maintain its shape while putting.

If you want to feel the difference between floppy and stiff putters, you should try putting with an R-Pro Aviar, or an RFF Wizard or something. When you push putt with those, you can really feel the disc bending as you push it foward. That's what you don't want.

I have a little more spin on my putts than Dave (a little tiny bit of elbow bend), but I prefer a SSSS or a 5S Wizard. I have G9i (good for driving) and a SSS putter I use for upshots sometimes.

The RFF is too soft for my tastes, though.

I agree with the one above who said adopt elements that work for you.

Got some KC Pro Aviars and yeah they are stiff!
I like them.
I have been practicing the spring from my wrist within 20' and notice a difference with the hard disc. I got 175's but now think I should have gotten done lower weight putters as well.

From farther out...the Aviar is much different.
I used to do the spin / dropshot with my challenger, and now trying to learn this hyzer break putt that Climo talks about on his website is tough.

Pro D Challengers aren't really super stiff like Gateway's Medium plastic, but they're certainly stiff enough for push putting. The whole reason you want a stiff putter is so that the putter won't flex or bend while it's coming out of your hand. A Pro D Challenger should be stiff enough to maintain its shape while putting.

If you want to feel the difference between floppy and stiff putters, you should try putting with an R-Pro Aviar, or an RFF Wizard or something. When you push putt with those, you can really feel the disc bending as you push it foward. That's what you don't want.

^^^ This is all you need to read in this whole thread. :thmbup: