• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

FH throw problem

m1shootr

Bogey Member
I have a tendency to throw across my body on forehand throws, thereby ending well left of my target. Any remedies? Thanks. Chris

Someone else would post this if I didn't: video is your (and our) friend. It could be a number of things, but if we watch you it's easier to diagnose problems.

Other than that, what kind of player are you? What kinds of discs/shots are you throwing when you have this problem?

It is definitely hard to say without seeing but it sounds like you are having grip lock issues and/or OATing the disc too much.

Sounds like u might be lifting your elbow to much on your reach back. Concentrate on keeping it down by your side. Might help.

Focus on moving the disc in a straight line from the reach back to the release point. You don't need to reach very far back, just enough to get the disc behind your shoulder so that you can start the throwing motion with your elbow out ahead of the disc. If you can get your elbow forward and pivot around that with your lower arm, then the disc moving in a straight line will naturally bend your wrist back and it will spring forward. That wrist unloading is what gives you most of the snap in the forehand throw.

Try a few throws with no follow through. At the release point, your arm and wrist should be in a straight line, and that line is the direction the disc flies out of your hand. (I only use 1 finger inside the rim for my FH grip, and at the release point it's like I'm pointing that finger in the direction of my line.) Follow through isn't a bad thing, but if you start the follow through motion before releasing that will definitely pull the disc too far left. The release timing should be very natural and predictable if your wrist is bending back and then straightening properly. If you're trying to strong arm the disc with a stiff wrist, that might explain the leftward pull.

I'm RHFH dominate so I feel your pain. Turn and burns were my biggest problem, especially since I favor understable discs and hyzer flips. I'm going to assume you know the basics, palm to the sky, lead with the elbow and so on and so forth. So the best advice I can give that really helped me out is to step up to the tee, go to the front edge of the tee pad and position yourself exactly where you want to be on your release.

Next you can do a practice run up if you're partial to that sort of thing. the point is to make sure you are not taking your last step too far right of where you actually need to be at. I did that consistently for a long time and so all the palm in the sky, concentrate on the snap stuff did nothing for me because I was reaching too far left, across my body to hit that line, which would also lead to wrist roll and lack of balance because my weight was shifting beyond my planted foot.

Here is the tip that helped my forehand game the most: Keep your palm up.

Most people roll their palm forward so it ends up facing the ground after the disc leaves the hand. Try to keep your palm facing towards the sky after you release. This will force you to release the disc flat and reduce the OAT that makes the disc turn over.

It's easy to yank it left if you try to kill it or use too much arm. Make sure you can pop little flicks 50-150' with just some snap and a bit of arm motion.

The best way to diagnose and fix problems with your throw (other than video) is to SLLLOOOOWWW DOOOOWWWNNNN! Forget about trying to throw far/fast whatever until the disc is coming out clean. You don't need a field or lots of time; you can fix your form by mimicking your movements and work up from there. I've had grip lock/form issues with release and every time I find that I can fix it by slowing down and/or not trying to throw super hard. Focus on that and accuracy and do it a million times and you'll be there. :)

Honestly, don't make it harder than it is. Watch the spin tv videos.. Slow mo drives of koling, and wysocki.. Find the similaries in release point, and weight shift, and mimic it...

Interesting that you say "no such thing" then encourage more of the "no such thing." I think we all understand there is such a think, just disagree on whether it's good, bad, or indifferent, and how to use it.

Gotta understand sarcasm, bro.

I used to play baseball and had a bad habit of opening up my hips and stepping away from the pitcher instead of towards the pitcher. I've noticed that I'll occasionally do something similar with my forehand. Maybe pay attention to your hips and feet?

Latest posts