• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Field Practice is no Joke...

vandyfan

Bogey Member
I have been trying to throw backhand for a while and I have been having no success. The other day I was at Muse Park in Jackson, Tn. If you have never been there it is never crowded. Most days there is not a soul playing. So I go to hole 8 and it is really open. I decided it was time to do "Field practice." After about an hour I saw a huge change. I was getting the disc to rip and my form was finally starting to take. The next day I played Muse again. I played the two best rounds of my life:). I cant wait to go back and do more field practice. So all yall that are stubborn like I was, just go practice in a field...It pays off!

i have never understood that attitude...if you want to get better at something, you have to practice it. playing courses helps because they usually make you throw different types of shots but for pure distance you need to develop form and that comes from repetition. throw, throw, throw!

Field practice is ok, but I can't seem to get the same results in an actual round that I get in an open field. I do recomend new players practice in a open field to learn throws, and how different discs fly.

I have been doing quite a bit of field practice lately and it is helping a lot. My form is becoming better and more fluid, snap is better, distance is increasing along with accuracy and consistency. Might be a little off topic but I typically throw 10-15 drives and then go pick them up. Then I normally start a little behind my furthest and throw back down towards my bag. I feel like this gives me variation with the wind and keeps me from running all over the place. Anyone else have tips on their field practice routine they would care to share?

I don't know that field practice is really any better than going to the course alone when it is empty and throwing 8 or 10 discs off every tee. I used to do it a lot more when I lived further from the local course.

Aside from the practice, and seeing how discs fly, it also allows to see how FAR discs go. That way you're not pulling out a buzz on a 325 foot hole if your average buzz throw is only 250-275. Likewise, you're not throwing a katana on a 250 foot hole. I can't believe how often I see stuff like that even during tourney rounds.

One bad side to field practice is you start caring less if you don't release at exactly the right time. A little right or left is no big deal on a football field, but is huge on a wooded course.

I don't know that field practice is really any better than going to the course alone when it is empty and throwing 8 or 10 discs off every tee.

sure it is, because on any given tee box you are thinking about the shot, not your form.

One bad side to field practice is you start caring less if you don't release at exactly the right time. A little right or left is no big deal on a football field, but is huge on a wooded course.

maybe you do... :rolleyes: :D

you can still see where the disc went from where you threw it. i don't see how your comment is accurate at all unless you're just lazy.

I just got back from my parents' house for Mother's Day. They have a pretty large yard and my little kids were feeling really good I guess because they wanted me to throw and have them go get them! I'm still in the process of learning RHBH with decent success so far. I pulled out the trusty bar stamped Buzzz and started flinging. After about an hour of this with the kids, I started feeling a good rhythm and I was able to get my Buzzz out to about 275 consistently (prior to this I was maybe 225-250). Now if I can just remember this form, it should help on quite a few holes!

So to make a long story longer, I am sold on field practice, but I would still like to just play rounds when I have time!

I have been doing quite a bit of field practice lately and it is helping a lot. My form is becoming better and more fluid, snap is better, distance is increasing along with accuracy and consistency. Might be a little off topic but I typically throw 10-15 drives and then go pick them up. Then I normally start a little behind my furthest and throw back down towards my bag. I feel like this gives me variation with the wind and keeps me from running all over the place. Anyone else have tips on their field practice routine they would care to share?

I have the same routine :hfive:

im not big on field practice. i figure, why throw in a field when i could throw at baskets around obstacles? I understand youre to yourself in a field, no one else to worry about, but i enjoy throwing multiples off the tees(when theres no one waiting on me, of course) and also extending where i tee from, a bit of safari golf, if you will. this gets me practice on real situations on the course yet more versatility. but hey, whatever works, works:thmbup:

Me and a buddy will go to a football field to practice throws. Hopefully I'll not be lazy and finish my basket soon and we'll have something to throw at, which will help.

when the closest course is a 45 minute drive, field practice for me is important and fun when using a portable and some measurement apparatuses. :)

You could always do what I did. I threw the same disc (175g Wham-O Ultimate Frisbee) in a field for over 10 years before I played this game. Because of this my mid-range game was pretty solid from the get-go and I just needed my driving and putting game to 'catch up'.

I've spent dozens of hours on field work with disc golf discs over the past number of years and I know, from experience, that it will dramatically improve ones game for the better! I won't throw a disc on a course until I've properly thrown it from many different release points (hyzer, anhyzer, thumber, forearm, scooby, overhand, etc.) on a field. This is how one can find the limitations of what a disc can do without it affecting your score during a round. Sometimes the capabilities of a disc will surprise me by excelling in a way I never expected it to.

Soooo, yeah... go throw in a field!

Am I the only one that thinks field practice is fun?

I love field practice, and I have an awesome place to do it. It has an open area about 300ft long, and then some trees to practice shooting around trees. There is even a city owned garden next door and for some reason, they have a wind sock there, so I can always check the wind while I am playing. I love it out there. Nobody every goes in that field. Its just an empty lot owned by the city. The coolest part is its one block from where I live.

The course is good, but I always like to take a new disc to the field, and see how it flies for me. I also use the field to tweak my bag, and see if I have two discs that fly the same. I have also marked the field with distance lines so I know how far each disc is flying for me. I love it out there.

I usually spend 1-1/2 to 3 hours out there at a time, and its a great way to really get to know your discs well. You can see what they can do, and what they can't do. Once you know exactly what the limits of each of your discs are, you feel so much more confident at the course, because you know what you expect, and you are not guessing for each shot.

i mean before when i did it i didnt know what real form was, now that i know i went out to the high school diamond today and started ripping. some shots were good and some werent. some were really awesome!! hha. but i mean atleast to practice on my form, and all the courses in the area are always packed this time of year so i like field practice now hhaa.

I agree that field practice is great. I just started playing again (sort of). In the past 6 years a have played an average of 3-4 times a year. Before that I could drive on average 330-360. Now that I've started playing again I'll average 260-280. Today I threw on a football field so I had a unit of measure. Average was 300. It was a beautiful day and I decided to get some field play in even though I really wanted to play a course. It works.

One question. What do yall think about this. I was throwing a Buzz esp about 275 and my overstable drivers 300-330. Any suggestions. Less stable drivers maybe?

Putting practice is better :) but some day I would like to get out and figure out my backhand as I struggle with it, too.

One question. What do yall think about this. I was throwing a Buzz esp about 275 and my overstable drivers 300-330. Any suggestions. Less stable drivers maybe?

Quick answer, yes. For big D throw something less stable that you can put on roughly a 20° hyzer that will slowly flip-flat and may turn a little before it slows down and fades 'forward'. It's about finding the right balance within a disc for your current arm speed. I'll throw anything from a newer Sidewinder/Avenger SS/Katana to a seasoned Eagle X/Wraith/Surge/Nuke.

As a converted Ultimate player I used to always throw my Buzzz farther than my drivers. My Buzzz still goes far, but my drivers have definitely been maxing my D now for awhile (as they properly should).