• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Frustration can’t get over 250ft max 327

Change your balance to the shot, more so than spine/posture.

Your rear foot is fine.

There's a number of things that can increase efficiency, worry about those after posture.

Awesome, again I really appreciate the help. Possible a photo like the ones you posted previously that you can show me what it is I'm trying to achieve. I'm not a particularly athletic person.

I might not worry so much per se, but it definitely is a weird thing to learn for a lot of people. I had to do a lot of things with other objects to get remotely close to it for disc golf. Slashes, hammer hits and throws, punches, chops, little weird "pull/swing" motions emphasizing smooth but abrupt and powerful weight shift that are fundamentally the move like this recently.

7JHJfZU.gif

Power comes from a lot of sources. Balance, momentum, internal torque building up and getting released, body countering the action of the arm and disc, moment of inertia, ground force reaction in the plant, muscles and fascia stretching and contracting hard and elastically, stop of forward momentum/redirecting into disc, and so on. People will argue about the details and proportions but that's all the good stuff. General advice that has helped me the most is get as much as you can from all of those things before raw strength/muscular demands. E.g., my move is increasingly more "athletic" but is decreasingly effortful as distance goes up when learning here. Not sure if that's how it always is, but I like it from a longevity perspective.

I might not worry so much per se, but it definitely is a weird thing to learn for a lot of people. I had to do a lot of things with other objects to get remotely close to it for disc golf. Slashes, hammer hits and throws, punches, chops, little weird "pull/swing" motions emphasizing smooth but abrupt and powerful weight shift that are fundamentally the move like this recently.

7JHJfZU.gif

Power comes from a lot of sources. Balance, momentum, internal torque building up and getting released, body countering the action of the arm and disc, moment of inertia, ground force reaction in the plant, muscles and fascia stretching and contracting hard and elastically, stop of forward momentum/redirecting into disc, and so on. People will argue about the details and proportions but that's all the good stuff. General advice that has helped me the most is get as much as you can from all of those things before raw strength/muscular demands. E.g., my move is increasingly more "athletic" but is decreasingly effortful as distance goes up when learning here. Not sure if that's how it always is, but I like it from a longevity perspective.

Ok, so whats your general thought on arming? Like I realize that a lot of the move is balance/brace/rotation but not to much rotation. Does the arm muscle start at the top of the backswing or from power pocket out?

Last edited:
Ok, so whats your general thought on arming? Like I realize that a lot of the move is balance/brace/rotation but not to much rotation. Does the arm muscle start at the top of the backswing or from power pocket out?
You'll hear different opinions. Lots of muscles are involved in a reciprocal motion so people get understandably confused. Some of them are stabilizers, some of them are workhorses. There's a bit of real variability among far throwers IMHO.

Learn to copy Gibson's little drill move there. Exactly.

d69cd1309806955a654d342b76e4db2d.gif

Then do this one. Exactly. Notice that the disc is still moving slightly back away as his weight is shifting forward. Doesn't need to be big.

xbGoq1R.gif

Notice what, where, and when the arm sequence wants to activate in that context.

Consider why he doesn't every look like he has an elbow forced forward to make a "pocket" in that drill move, which is why Sidewinder made his "power pocket explained" video.

Exaggerate little bits at a time one way or another. Notice what changes and what does and does not keep you in balance. Notice when the arm wants to compensate for being too ahead or behind of the weight shift and rest of the body moving in posture. Notice the lateral part of the weight shift and curved path of the disc and arm out of the backswing peak that is caused by that shift and how his posture guides his arm. Learn to feel how all of it happening right is related to any of it happening right. One big move.

Look, do, and feel what is happening here. It's right there for the taking. Do it, then watch the arm. Watch the feet. Watch the body. Then do it again and again (and again and again):

3b8bc72adbba5b8bb802039de61c8ca7.gif

9076fa91b9cbb81f7cf1c5af220237f7.gif

U8zjZPy.gif

FpeFm9t.gif

7da202f16c2d73a0e6d53d397a442d63.gif

iuApJmP.gif

Also why I still prefer to conceptualize all arm questions within this:

Can you try to throw other ways? Sure, people do lots of things. YMMV. I have tried every other idea on the market I'm aware of & some of them have their place IMHO, but none of them worked as well or looked as good as everything else I think I've learned about form as the above. Everything else ends up being too forced for me. I like throwing farther with momentum and little to no effort. My arm is involved, but my answer is the above. Again, YMMV.

Attachments

• 1716824479064.png
    1716824479064.png
    129.4 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts