• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Field Work: Adding weight to a disc?

I usually stick with 180 for my Roc's, 175 for all my other discs. Although on occasion, I'll throw a Blizzard Katana. I believe if you decide to add more weight, do it like lifting weights. Start with an extra gram or two of weight. Let your arm get used to the extra weight until you feel comfortable throwing it without hitches/glitches. Then repeat. I would say go no heavier than 200g-225g. That's what a max weight Condor or Zephyr weighs.

Lightweight discs are also good to throw. In ball golf, there were 2 warm-up drills: multiple club swing, and upside down club swing. Multiple for more weight, upside down for less weight.

A Condor is great for this. It kind of adds more hammer effect to your normal throw, and comes up to 200g. It also has Comet-esque stability, and a deep, putter-like rim.

The Zephyr has all of those qualities, but the rim is less comfortable, and was too much of a distraction for me.

I got a Condor out of curiosity, but wasn't a big fan. The rim is even deeper than most putters, and kept catching on my fingers like crazy. Interesting disc still, and I have yet to try rolling it on a good fairway in proper conditions.

I had given the thought of using leadtape added at 1 gram increments until I found a good weight and then buying the disc at that weight.

I got a Condor out of curiosity, but wasn't a big fan. The rim is even deeper than most putters, and kept catching on my fingers like crazy. Interesting disc still, and I have yet to try rolling it on a good fairway in proper conditions.

It's definitely different. I came from an ultimate background, though.

The Condor really excels on bad fairways in improper conditions. It'll hop branches like it's nothing.

For me, I throw max weight discs, so I know if something goes wrong, it is on me not the disc. So maybe that might be a suggestion: use a heavier disc. In my case, I may use an overstable disc faster than a putter: Gator or a Roc.

I am not sure using a heavy disc is not out of order for training. I am not suggesting full run-ups and reach backs, but working on the hit and grip. Slow to fast, loose to firm. IMHO