• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Filling up Winthrop Lake with discs

Archimedes is rolling in his grave!

The only proper way to measure the volume of a disc is to drop it in a bucker of water.

Thank you!!!!

Displacement in the water is a reasonable less maths way to find out what the volume of a submerged disc is

Well OF COURSE I could have measured displaced water for an exact amount. But A) I don't have the setup for that handy, and B) it's more fun to estimate. Although I did cheat and use mapping for the lake size. Would have been more fair to have to estimate that based on known hole lengths!

Another way to look at disc volume is to look at the disc weight. If we accept that an "average disc" will float at around 140 grams, and sink at 150 grams (no trapped air), can we accept that a disc at 145 grams will just barely sink? If so, that disc will displace 145 grams of water, which is 145 cubic centimeters. If you don't like the 145 gram number pick your own, but I think that we're easily within 10% now.

Way easier than trying to measure the volume of a disc...

I was going to post the exact same thing. Well done.

My measurement of Winthrop Lake at https://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-area-calculator-tool.htm is a surface area of 35145 m2. A volume 2.54 cm deep and 35,145 m2 in area is 893 m3, or 892,683,000 cm3. Given a disc volume of 145 cm3 each, it would take 6,156,434 discs to raise the water 1 inch.

Remember that the surface area will increase at the water level comes up.

Whether it's 6 or 17 million discs, will every disc need to be returned to its original owner when somebody goes diving for them?

At $1 finders fee, somebody could probably make a couple hundred dollars returning every single disc. Too bad there's not an algorithm to figure that one out.

Whether it's 6 or 17 million discs, will every disc need to be returned to its original owner when somebody goes diving for them?

At $1 finders fee, somebody could probably make a couple hundred dollars returning every single disc. Too bad there's not an algorithm to figure that one out.

1x the number of discs=$, or was that sarcasm

Latest posts