• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Finger help needed.

wakefield724

I've been playing for 3 years now. I been putting about 200-260 times a day a practice approach and midrange about 50 throws a day. I use a fan grip during my putting/midrange and a power grip during my fairway/drives. From throwing so much fan grip my inner middle finger is basically raw and hurts. Not playing or taking a break is not an option. What can I do to prevent, treat, and play with my rawed out inner finger. It's gotten so bad it's drawing blood

Dunno why taking a break to let it heal isn't an option but you could try a band-aid, glove or....

FINGER CONDOMS!

White-Finger-Cot.jpg

Make sure all the flash is removed from the disc. That has helped me in the past... little sandpaper on the edges helps too.

Sheesh, what is this, bash.org?
Help, my house is on fire and I'm afraid it might hurt my ping!

Dunno why taking a break to let it heal isn't an option but you could try a band-aid, glove

Do band aids have a effect on your realease point. And to answer your first question. If you were being held down in water and you were drowning you would fight like crazy because all you want to do and need to do is breath. When you want to be successful as bad as you want to breath, only then will you be successful. No one is successful when they make excuses for themselves.

I've gotten blisters from throwing and used band aids and they have never screwed up my game. In fact I almost feel they can give you a little extra grip.

Wakefield724, I would just be concerned that continuing to practice with a wounded hand would make you make small adjustments to your game to compensate for the discomfort of the wound, hence unintentionally altering your play. Thus letting your wound heal would let you play without the problems associated with playing while injured. I've played while injured and it didn't do me any favors.

I've been playing for 3 years now. I been putting about 200-260 times a day a practice approach and midrange about 50 throws a day. I use a fan grip during my putting/midrange and a power grip during my fairway/drives. From throwing so much fan grip my inner middle finger is basically raw and hurts. Not playing or taking a break is not an option. What can I do to prevent, treat, and play with my rawed out inner finger. It's gotten so bad it's drawing blood

I have the exact same problem, I use medical tape on my fingers at that spot. I used paper tape for a while but it did not stick when I would sweat and it would also get torn up fairly quickly. I switched to cloth medical tape and it works just fine. Seems to stick better for some reason and one taping lasts me multiple rounds without tearing. Hope that helps, I literally felt your pain.

^that seems inconvenient and expensive vs. a $3 roll of medical tape that lasts me a couple of months. Plenty of pros tape their fingers for the same reason, including Doss and Dr. Voakes.

^that seems inconvenient and expensive vs. a $3 roll of medical tape that lasts me a couple of months. Plenty of pros tape their fingers for the same reason, including Doss and Dr. Voakes.

It depends on whats wrong with it. Skin completely gone and you want it to regrow? Probably be easier to use moleskin.

If its a ripped piece of skin, tape will work.

I've used both for all kinds of skin injuries and its really just depends on what you want out of it.

A roll of moleskin costs about $6. Not really breaking the bank there.

superglue, liquid skin, medical/sports tape, flexi-fabric bandaids will all work. but a couple days "off" won't hurt your progress. It may actually give you a new perspective to plan your path to success. just remember at the end of the day we're still just throwing frisbees at misshapen charcoal grills in the park.

Go with the white medical/sports tape. Works great for ball golf or disc golf. It's cheap and effective.

There is such a thing as too much practice. Trust me, you really should take a day or two off (depending on the severity of the injury). However, if you refuse to take time off, use moleskin or superglue and put sports tape over top of it. Even the top Pros take time off to rest their body. Pushing yourself too much can result in bad form due to compensation or injuries. With how much you say you practice, once again, it's not going to hurt to take some time off.

There is such a thing as too much practice. Trust me, you really should take a day or two off (depending on the severity of the injury). However, if you refuse to take time off, use moleskin or superglue and put sports tape over top of it. Even the top Pros take time off to rest their body. Pushing yourself too much can result in bad form due to compensation or injuries. With how much you say you practice, once again, it's not going to hurt to take some time off.

Even though I really don't want to I'm gonna take your advice. Pic attached below of the finger. It's weird. I won college football championships, college wrestling awards, became a champion in Mma, boxing, and BJJ. But nothing ever in my life had brought more joy and more fun than disc golf. I feel the desire to play similar to our desire to eat when hungry. Am I alone?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

I use a batter's glove when I play. Are you left handed cause I got a few new gloves if you want to try one (men's L). Doesn't affect my game one bit.

Last edited:
I use a batter's glove when I play. Are you left handed cause I got a few new gloves if you want to try one (men's L). Doesn't affect my game one bit.

Right handed 3XL gloves. I was born with 2 Y chromosomes which made me tall, big, and giants hands.

Even though I really don't want to I'm gonna take your advice. Pic attached below of the finger. It's weird. I won college football championships, college wrestling awards, became a champion in Mma, boxing, and BJJ. But nothing ever in my life had brought more joy and more fun than disc golf. I feel the desire to play similar to our desire to eat when hungry. Am I alone?

If you take a day or two off, let it scab/dry and cover it somehow w/ something like super glue/moleskin/tape, you'll start getting calloused up. I throw alot too. I suggested taking time off b/c I worked TOO hard/much on FH throws that it wrecked my elbow/upper arm completely. Obviously it was from bad form and it happened right when I had a tournament. I ended up having to switch things up which caused me to shoot poorly for this tournament when it was at my two "home" courses. I resorted to using more understable discs to compensate for being unable to throw too hard (though you throw with your legs, you do put a good snap on the elbow/tricep/bicep) I digress and back to the point, I used to get blisters/raw on my index finger from the snap. With a couple days off and going back I now have a weird unnoticeable callous there that protects that spot. but if I have a tournament or will be throwing a lot I put a dabble of super glue on, works wonders. though gloves or tape if they don't mess up your throw work perfectly fine too.

Last edited: