• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Finishing a Tournament Round

charris414

Eagle Member
I suppose this question is directed towards those of you who have played a fairly large number of tournaments.

Some background: I'm 34, been playing for 7-8 years very consistently, and in that time have pretty much played 4-8 tournaments a year. I've raised my rating steadily from a lowly 841 to over 920.

This season I've been playing some pretty good golf, just one sub-900 round, and my last PDGA event rounds were rated 936 and 967. However, I cracked in that 967 round and gave up 3-5 strokes in my last six holes ... which is something that has always plagued me. i find it very hard to finish my rounds without giving up a handful of otherwise "simple" strokes. I was headed towards a 1000 rated round in that 967 round, and just let it slip away.

Can you guys give me some "mental" advice? Typically I am not choosing aggressive shots or lines, I just seem to not be able to execute.

Lots of that could be due to fatigue, both mental and physical. I recommend having more water than you'll ever need in the car, but only as much as you need on you. Refill during the break, don't bulk up during the round. Also, powerbars/cliff bars/ that stuff are great to stay energized at that point.

You could also work on your conditioning. I'm actually planning on loading my top half of my dual pack with spare discs I don't throw during casual rounds to get used to carrying a way bigger load, so during tournament rounds it actually seems easier.

This part of the game that isn't really teachable. My best advice is to master control of your breath. Don't take a shot until your body is relaxed and you feel ready to throw. If you are experiencing jitters, take a step back, breath, get comfortable, focus on your shot, then approach your lie and throw. Go at your pace and do not feel pressured to throw or maintain a pace at which you're not comfortable.

ArcheType's advice about conditioning is always good. Conditioning can help develop confidence, and help you turn the corner on your mental problems, as well as build strength to finish tournaments physically stronger.

Lots of that could be due to fatigue, both mental and physical. I recommend having more water than you'll ever need in the car, but only as much as you need on you. Refill during the break, don't bulk up during the round. Also, powerbars/cliff bars/ that stuff are great to stay energized at that point.

You could also work on your conditioning. I'm actually planning on loading my top half of my dual pack with spare discs I don't throw during casual rounds to get used to carrying a way bigger load, so during tournament rounds it actually seems easier.

good advice on the powerbars. I always have something similar when I start to feel weak. I also carry powdered gatorade or propel to add to water that sometimes offers a boost to my energy level. Whether it's real or imagined it really seems to work.

Don't think that you are the only one that this happens to. Watch the PGA golf telecast every Sunday afternoon and you will see one or more professional golfer suffer from the same thing. The key is to remain focused and don't try any shortcuts. Keep the same routines even on short putts and don't take anything for granted. If your putts are starting to fall short purposely raise your release point a little higher.

Another simple way to better conditioning is to play practice rounds at a faster rate, by yourself or with no more than one other person. Instead of slow play league nights with a whole pack of golfers on every hole, go out at 8am once or twice a week, and play while walking the course fast enough to get your heart rate up a little and work up a sweat. Preferably a course with some elevation. That should make the tournaments seem slower and more relaxed than your practice rounds.

It might also give you a mental edge, because you will practice at getting yourself mentally focused to perform your technique, even when your body is under a little stress from the exercise.

The conditioning tip is probably a good one. Due to the pace of play you end up standing around a lot more in tournaments than casual play, and for myself, my legs lose some of their bounce. 2nd & 4th rounds reveal my conditioning, or lack thereof.

Another thought is to consider whether it's true at all. I've had tournament rounds, and casual rounds, where I was sizzling, then fizzling on the last holes. But I've also had rounds where I stumbled out of the gate, then suddently clicked for the rest of the round. And rounds with a mid-round meltdown. Perhaps I'm just prone to bad stretches, and when they fall at the end of the round it seems like a mental thing---but in fact, it's just the bad stretch hitting at that time. Perhaps you, the O.P., too?

This has happened to me, although my game is not at your level.
All the above advice is spot-on and has worked for me.
To reiterate:
Continue to hydrate and nibble on healthy snacks occasionally as needed.
Rest whenever possible, bring a stool to sit on while others are throwing. I actually use a camp chair with a backrest.
Routine, routine, routine. The first throw should be just like the last. Putts, tee and fairway.

My own personal tip is that I play every hole individually. I do not keep up with the running score (not everyone will like this) although I do record every hole. I honestly don't have a good idea of what my score is until the round is over. Not keeping a running total keeps me from any worry that the last holes will ruin my score or that I need to play differently to improve my score. I try to play every hole, one hole at a time, one throw at a time.

I have the same problem. I just get so worn out sometimes. Past weekend the first day I shot horrible due to it being so hot I was just ready to go. I knew I had to shoot a breakout round Sunday, and I did. I paced myself, took breaks, took my umbrella for open holes, kept really cool and relaxed.

A simple, short term aid (not a solution) would be to play more conservatively. Don't go for those 50'-100' shots. Just drop it beside the basket. However, that's not the best solution for the long term.

Give every shot the attention it deserves. Focus on that one shot, not what you already did and not what is coming up.

Avoid thinking big picture...every shot is a chance as a great outcome, so make it happen shot by shot.

I find that whether in regular rounds or tournament rounds, when I focus on each shot fully (and not the score) things happen. I played a tourney last year where I was 4 under after 6 holes, and had no idea until someone brought it up. I was in shot by shot mode.

Latest posts