• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First time- went to store, didn’t buy a disc

seedlings

* Ace Member *
I haven't played for about two weeks due to home projects and bad weather. Went shopping today with the intent to buy a Corvette. They had several Star, and I spent time comparing the PLH and dome to see which one I would take home. A perfect peachy-pink colored one won the lowest PLH and dome contest. 171g. Felt great. And then... all the drivers I own started running through my head that have very similar flights. My form and distance probably dissuades me from throwing it any better than discs I own already. I sullenly put it back on the shelf and left. First time I looked at discs and didn't buy one.

I mean... I lost one Warhorse and bought 4 when I heard they weren't planning on running them this year. You done good. I might not have been as strong.

But you don't want to run out of arrows!

I probably shouldn't say this out loud, but it's been months since I lost a disc. By no means can my disc stash compare to most of DGCR, but I have 4 Pharaohs, two D2s, an MVP Teleport, a DD Captain, beat Destroyer... if I could throw any of those well on a regular basis I probably wouldn't have been shopping. Basically I just want to throw a Corvette. But it's 4 degrees with 6" of snow, so throwing anything isn't fun.

No! No! No!, that's not how the addiction is supposed to work. Now march yourself right back in to that store and give in to the dark side like the rest of us.....

Honestly, I have done it once or twice. But I never was able to keep putting them back on the shelf. Picture a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other. One going "Do it!, Just do it already!" the other "No, No, just put it back".

Good for you.

Really, 2 weeks, my hands start twitching if I go that long...... What's funny, if I go too long my wife points at the disc golf bag and tells me to get out, leave, be gone already.

I haven't played for about two weeks due to home projects and bad weather. Went shopping today with the intent to buy a Corvette. They had several Star, and I spent time comparing the PLH and dome to see which one I would take home. A perfect peachy-pink colored one won the lowest PLH and dome contest. 171g. Felt great. And then... all the drivers I own started running through my head that have very similar flights. My form and distance probably dissuades me from throwing it any better than discs I own already. I sullenly put it back on the shelf and left. First time I looked at discs and didn't buy one.

this is one of the slight benefits of being partial to specific runs of discs... i'm rarely tempted just perusing a disc store. the only stock things i look at are wizards (and i'm particular about those), Z buzzzes (and i have plenty), and predators (which i rarely use and 1 or 2 backups are plenty enough).

i'm also way more likely to spend 45 mins in the used bin than 3 mins in the new stock.

I'm just lucky I don't have a brick and mortar to shop in.

/google

****:wall:

I just buy disc, "this will be fun to try" . . just to realize i already have a few of that disc in my rack

Man, I've frequently came out empty handed since March.

I'll go in with a mental list of about 20 molds and they'll all be sold out.

Man, I've frequently came out empty handed since March.

I'll go in with a mental list of about 20 molds and they'll all be sold out.

This. I went to one of the best shops around (Hazy Shade in Dayton) a while back, looking for backups or anything interesting, Discraft-centric.... They had such low inventory I ended up not getting anything at all. It was very unsatisfying for sure.

It seems like even all the online shops are out of everything. I've had to resort to trades or other marketplace deals, paying full price for used plastic.

This. I went to one of the best shops around (Hazy Shade in Dayton) a while back, looking for backups or anything interesting, Discraft-centric.... They had such low inventory I ended up not getting anything at all. It was very unsatisfying for sure.

It seems like even all the online shops are out of everything. I've had to resort to trades or other marketplace deals, paying full price for used plastic.

I'm not even looking for wild discs --- Classic Aviars, Thunderbirds, Destroyers, Heat, Wasp, Pro D Cyclones, Sidewinders, Leopards, Mako3's, P1's, P2's, etc.

Disc Golf Mart seems to have restocked both Discraft and Innova recently. I was even able to grab a Champ Wombat3 for the wife the last time I was in there and those things have been unicorns online for months (in weights/colors she likes anyway...)!

I'm very much at the opposite end of the spectrum from the OP. I went in for one disc for the wife and MAYBE one for me if they had something very specific. Instead we left with 2 for her, 3 for me plus 2 macro-minis. The real kick in the teeth? NONE of the 3 discs I left with was the putter I went in to get. I bought that online. Pretty sure I need help. Or warmer weather so I can play instead of buy. Or help.

So in the midst of a pandemic, you walked into a small business, a hard working business owner struggling to stay afloat...you used up the oxygen in his store and the lights he has to pay for...and then you just walked out? Wow! I'm guessing they have your photo posted behind the counter as not being allowed to come back. For SHAME! Support small business, buy a disc, buy 2, or a dozen! It's your patriotic duty!

I bought my yearly big order... this year i limited myself to just 4. I didnt refresh my putters... I bought a Banzai, an f3, a comet, and an orion lf.

I also bought a disc retriever... I recently lost my Dart... the comet is not my dart at least it wont be for about 9 months.... I am really itching to get that new dart... I am going to see if i can wait on taxes... i might not be able to.

I usually have tons of funny money from winnings so I either buy discs I don't need or try and sell the gift cert. to someone. I do end up with a lot more Wraiths and Teebirds then I really need I suppose as they have been coming out nice since last year.

There are not a whole lot of new discs I am out to try but usually my local shop won't have the right weight, color, PLH or stiffness too. Do I really want to bag a maroon disc and when it flies in the weeds struggle finding it?

Latest posts