• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First tournament tips

LmidgitD

Bogey Member
After 8 years off on and off playing, I'm thinking that I'm going to enter a tournament this year. The issue is, I have no clue how to go about it!

What are some of your best tips for a tournament newbie? I know the casual round etiquette, I've watched pretty much all the DG videos on youtube (cold Wisconsin winters will do that to you), and I'm not that bad when playing. Is a mini necessary, or can I just flip my lie upside side down? Little things like this, and what I should bring other than discs, a pencil, and a drink.

If anyone from the Janesville, WI area has any regional tips that would be helpful as well.

Thanks for the assistance guys!

P.S. I did a search in the general forum and in the newbie forum for tournament, but nothing was popping out at me. Also did a google search. If there is a link to a thread that deals with this by all means let me know.

Give the PDGA Rules a quick read. Definitely bring a mini, you cannot flip the thrown disc.

In general, just don't be a douche to the other players and you'll be fine.

Yes, you need a mini if it's PDGA sanctioned. Only technically need it if you go out of bounds or your disc is not on the playing surface. Flipping your disc is not allowed and you must putt gimmies into the basket. Tell the TD so maybe the TD can place in a proper group and let your card mates know it's your first time and don't know all the rules. Ask questions before you think you might be doing something wrong. Is this a legal stance? Where do I mark my lie from OB? etc.

Read Craigg's Corner, post #5 goes over preparation, but the whole thing is a great read.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27231

Unless you know the area well and know a quick place to stop for food, pack a lunch. Ive seen many first timers miss the start of the 2nd round. Read through the rulebook link above, and have fun.

Bring lots of water. Use a mini because wen though you don't always need it some guys will want to call strokes for it. Don't throw a disc to anyone or to your bag.

check out the rule book just to get familiar with them. and you may want to let your cardmates know its your first tournament.

As for what to bring:
Discs possibly some back ups or extra if their is a risk of losing one.
A towel or 2 if its wet or muddy. helpful with morning dew too
granola bars, peanuts etc. (tournaments can be slow may want a mid round snack)
water, powerade, etc
stool or foldable chair (its nice to sit if benches arent available)

^just some of the big stuff. There are tons of threads on whats in your bag for other odds and end

other thoughts:
HAVE FUN!
play YOUR game. (know your capabilities dont try to keep up with everyone else. Someone will always throw farther or putt better or hit some silly line)
RELAX its just a game and everyone has their good days and their bad.

Most important tip is to relax and have fun. When I played my first tournament, I was so nervous the night before that I barely slept. I usually play casual and hardly had any experience throwing with other players. After 3 months of playing, I entered in as Recreational and on a course I've only played twice. I quickly discovered some important lessons.

1. The pace is slower than casual, so if you have a stool with your bag, it'll save those legs from standing.
2. As written above, throw what you know and how you know to throw it.
3. Before risking a shot to getting out of trouble, consider the option of just pitching back onto the fairway. One extra stroke is less than hitting another tree and adding another.
3. One etiquette I appreciate but frown upon when playing tournaments is when someone walks ahead of the furthest from pin. Just wait, give the courtesy, watch and maybe learn a new trick.
4. Ask questions immediately if you're unsure of your options. It never hurts to ask.
5. Take your time before each throw and putt. Don't abuse this, but make sure your comfortable. Those gimme puts that aren't given their time are annoying!
6. Watch your footing within the 30' circle around the basket. You must show balance.
7. Talk to your fellow card players. Ask what they like to throw, what their favorite courses are, etc. Its a great perk of the sport to meet new people who enjoy the game as well.
8. Forget everything I just recommended, go out and just throw the d@%n thing!
9. Just kidding, but seriously, have fun and good luck!

Since people have already posted the basics I'll cover other stuff.

1. An extra pair of shoes and socks as all as a raincoat. It will be a long day and changing socks between rounds is nice.
2.. Water. Many people bring a couple bottles of Gatorade but having to much of that stuff isn't good over a long day.
3. ChapStick. This is no joke. My first few tournaments I was nervous, it was dry, and I didn't manage my liquid well. If it is windy it is even more important.
4. Make sure you loosen up before the second round. It is easy to get caught up chatting and eating, looking at standings etc. Get warmed up.
5. Play a course that requires really good line shaping at least once during the week working up to it. Most of the stuff people beat themselves up for relate to missing lines, that and putting.

Not really on the list but I heard the advice once to know what you are going to throw off each tee before you arrive at the course. Making those decisions on the fly is a recipe for disaster, especially if you have just had a bad hole.

the most common thing for new players is foot faults. There were guys who had played many more tournaments than I had who were still foot faulting everywhere. Review those rules- closest supporting point must be 30cm- roughly 11 1/2 inches behind the marker- so even with a run up on a fairway drive, you have to land in that zone behind your mini.

Have a copy of the rulebook in your bag in case there are disputes.

Hole out every time. Even if you park it under the basket, mark your lie and drop your disc in.

If you are score keeper- for clarification, make sure you get numbers and not just "I parred that one"- if you aren't that familiar with the course you may not know what par is. Along the same lines, if you are taking score, do it at the next holes teepad so you don't hold up a group that might be waiting on you.

Over prepare- bring 2 extra sets of clothes- dress for what you think it's gonna be like, bring one stage hotter and one colder, just in case.

TP/Napkins!! Again, over prepare.

If you have time and daylight, walk the course backwards. It helps quite a bit.

I'd say play the course before the tourney round if you don't know it. If there isn't time to play it, walk through it with a putter, imagine each shot and putt at each basket. I think it helps for me lol.

"Don't be that guy." Just ask a question if ya got one! It's disc golf and 99% of us are super cool!

Don't throw you disc to your bag, even if it's two feet away. That can be a stroke. Bring it to your bag and set it in there.

Foot faults. It's been said but place your lie and putt and come back down on both feet behind your lie. Gets me sometimes! And have fun!

Just a few things from a guy who started playing tourneys last year! Cheers! And good luck!

Lots of good advice here. I'll second the chapstick idea as this is often overlooked and there were several tournaments last year that just ate up my lips. Get some with sunscreen, it makes a huge difference.

I like a complete change of clothes between rounds but that's just me (and I live in AZ).

Tell your card when you begin that you're new to tournaments, often times there is at least one vet on the card who can help clarify things. Be opened minded to constructive criticism about the tournament process, people are usually really willing to help.

Remember the mantra from Steady Ed - most fun wins!

A lot of good tips here. Just a couple things to add : eat breakfast and show up early enough to play a couple holes and do a little practice putting to warm up. It always feels way better to be registered without rushing and to have time to get those first few throws out of the way. Oh yeah, and relax and have fun.

It sounds like you've got this covered, but just in case another newcomer hasn't thought about it I'll put it here.

It is very important to take other players into account. Don't curse, shout, throw stuff, etc. even if you feel like you're the unluckiest person alive. It will bring you a penalty quite fast and it will surely dampen the mood in the group for the rest of the round.

This also applies between the holes as there are constantly many players putting at nearby holes.

Last edited:
couple others to add:

If people are ignoring your conversation starters, then you might be talking too much. Don't get offended if people don't want to talk, it is not about you. Some people don't mind a little conversation between holes, but many tourney players are into their own internal intensity of competing, and are enjoying the quiet focus of a tournament round. Just accept that it's a different type of group dynamic than casual rounds, and that's OK.

Ask the group before smoking, or at least be aware of the wind direction and keep it away from them.

All good tips. I played my first tournament last year, and the one thing that I didn't anticipate was the dead silence and stillness from the group when I was putting; In other words, the silence was deafening. I was used to casual play, somebody talking in the background or walking to their disc. I totally got the yips (but that wore off as the round progressed). Also, expect a long wait between shots; the flow of play can be seriously slow sometimes. Good luck and have fun!

What tournaments are you looking to play in? I'll be playing a few in SE Wisconsin this year, and I'd be happy to shoot you some local information.

Latest posts