• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First tournament win...

TxViper3187

Hosted a 2 round unsanctioned event at my home course. Couldn't get anyone to play Advanced (some played UP and went Pro and others dropped DOWN to Intermediate). Wound up with 14 in the AM (Adv/Int) Division. Had a decent first round and was 1 stroke off the lead tied for 2nd. Started the second round expecting to be pushed by the two other guys on my card who are typically pretty solid players, but they fell victim to some OB penalties and dropped to 4th and 5th. I played 1 stroke worse than my first round but finished in 1st two strokes ahead of the next guy.

I didn't really think much about the WIN because it felt more like the other guys just collapsed than me winning. It was also a subdued day because several of my buddies struggled and didn't place anywhere near where they expected to.

It wasn't until I went back and looked at the scorecards for the entire tournament that I realized I didn't JUST play survive the day but I had carded the most birdies out of the players in my division.

Sometimes even when you struggle and don't feel like you deserve the W you have to put things in perspective to fully appreciate what happened. I thought, if I was going to win that I would have to shoot -6 or better. Instead, I played consistent and stayed right around par and that was good enough to outlast the field.

Thanks guys...my best friend and I started playing back in 2002 but didn't really start playing tournaments until Dec of 2012. As far as the lefty thing goes...I get called a cheater all the time but I have learned to take it in stride.

Congratulations, brother! Still looking for my first tournament win.....

Latest posts