• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First tournament

duckkiller73

Par Member
So i am going to play in my first tournament this weekend. I have checked this site about every hour for the past 3 days (i think because i am so jacked up for this tournament that i am actually dreaming about dg). I keep thinking i need to play 2 rounds a day until saturday, but I don't have the time/don't wanna wear myself down. I hope I can clear my head enough by then to just play smoothly. Any tips or suggestions? Or any posts to keep my mind off of MY game and on DG in general? lol

Have fun! That is the most important.

Practice putting. Take your time. You will focus more on the missed puts than the bad drives.

With that said, make sure you remember the first part. Have fun!

I'm going to send a PM just to make sure this gets to do.

TAKE SOME TIME OFF! REST BEFORE THE TOURNAMENT! YOU WILL FIND YOURSELF MORE WORN OUT THAN EVER IF YOU PLAY ALL THE TIME UP UNTIL THE TOURNAMENT!

\/\/

Don't wear yourself out. Don't play every day until the tourney. You're probably better resting and doing targeted practice.
Practice putting mostly.

Play your game. If it is a course you know well, don't change anything in how you approach each hole. Every player is going to choose to play a specific hole differently. You know your skills the best, what you're capable of doing, so don't try to do too much.

Talk to the TD about where he thinks you'll have the best time playing based on your average round score. Don't be surprised to shoot slightly worse than you normally do.

The major rules you need to follow are:

1) ALWAYS throw from your proper lie. You will need to have a supporting point (foot or knee) directly in line with your disc or mini. And you can not have your opposite foot or knee beyond the imaginary line extending across your lie.

2) When within 10 meters of the basket (about 10-13 paces depending upon your pace length) you will not be able to step past your line without demonstrating balance (having your body come to a complete stop) before advancing forward.

3) Common courtesy. Don't throw on groups in front of you, no excessive swearing, no cell phones, farthest away from the basket is the first to throw, etc ...

If I am playing with someone at their first event, I will almost always give them the benefit of the doubt. Before the round starts, I'll ask them what they do know. And if they happen to break any rules, I am going to mention it to them afterwards, as a "hey, this is what you just did, this is what you should do, no big deal" and give them two or three notices.

I've been given the same courtesy recently. A player in my group saw me unintentionally commit a foot fault on a long approach where I used a run-up. Without realizing it, I did it again a few holes later, and he made a comment about being more attentive to where I was placing my feet. Well within the rules, and we both handled it appropriately. Most of the time, rule violations are handled in a friendly manner like this.

Last thing, don't carry an excessive amount of discs or gear. Tourney rounds are long and tiring, and the last thing you need is extra weight on your back.

Relax, have fun and don't over do it prior to Saturday. Was at Am Worlds a couple weeks ago with a friend of mine who plays Adv Grand Masters. I play Adv Masters and showed up Monday afternoon and got in two practice rounds and played pretty well. He showed up Saturday afternoon and played at least 6 rounds in three days and had a rough time come Tuesday-Friday. Exhaustion and over-thinking things can get you in trouble. Play your game!

Relax and don't get stressed, You'll do better.

what tournament are you playing?

it is the ABC discs tournament at matter park, in marion, IN. it is my home course and i have been throwing with the league there for about 3 months, so i know the course well and most of the guys. ABC is giving a 2 disc players package to each participant, so there are a TON of people entering. We just got the course completed this past week, so some of the concrete pads i have only thrown off of a couple of times. I have brought my average down about 8-10 strokes this season, and really just started taking it seriously. I am getting more reliable with my putts, but i still am not good at that. I over think it ALL the time. I am just going to continue target practice of 50-100 putt type shots a day until Saturday. I also have a decent understanding of the rules, but is it common courtesy to clear the basket after making a putt? In league play we don't always do that, but we are a pretty relaxed bunch.

If it's your home course, don't sweat the practicing. Like others said, just play your game. You probably have a disc golf routine, so just stick to it. It's generally good to do some extra putting practice, but don't go hog wild about it. You don't want to be trying out new techniques just now. Practice those shorter putts so you're confident.

When it's tourney time, don't take the wild flyer shots. Tournament golf is about not making mistakes. You'll need to throw some good shots to win, but avoiding the stupid mistakes is what it's really about. Great expectations and overthinking is the problem. Don't let nerves get to you. Just play your game and take the smart shots. One throw at a time - relax and enjoy it. You do enjoy it right? Now's the time to show off your skills!

If you're like me, you'll have the occasional bad throw. Learn to laugh them off and move on to the next shot. Take the smart pars instead of the miracle.

Relax. Have fun.

well i was outta the plastic by one stroke. missed a 8' par putt on the signature hole:mad: ...BUT...i parked a 100' on a ctp competition for $32 with the whole crowd watching so that was nice, especially throwing against ALL divisions for it! It was a blast. Very nerve racking, and i learned the two most important lessons of disc golf - 1. have fun 2. practice my putting. haha

I am so glad you had such a good time at the tournament. Sorry about the last 8 foot putt you missed. As you get more acclimated to the putting game and tournament play, you will not miss those putts. We all have. We all have not had the fortune that you had it winning the closest to the pin award. Those types of things make you keep coming back for more.

Thanks again for the kudos on the discs. It was great to get them out there. Have a wonderful day and of course, practice your putting!:thmbup:

Dan Pastore

Latest posts