• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First Video - 300 ft max and trying to improve. Critique away

Zimmy

Here's my first video. My 8 y/o daughter shot it for me (we play a game where she starts at my first throw). I play recreationally. I'm experiencing an invisible wall at 300 ft. I can hit 300 ft MAX on a great 1 out of 10 throw. 220-260 is a better average. So, what do you more seasoned pros see in my throw?

This is the only video I have, and is one of my better drives (300 ft).

https://youtu.be/WqRXEshmLo4

You are hugging yourself and dragging the disc. You need to reach more away from your body, and guide the disc to the target in a straight line before unwinding. Instead you reach behind your body and have to swing the disc around you. This leads to dragging the disc because your hand is pulling it forward on the nose, whereas on a pro the hand is on the outside edge of the disc (opposite their body) until they unwind and it snaps out of their hand at a distinct point.

As well stay on the ball/instep of your back foot, and plant with your front foot more closed (90 degrees to the target). If you open it up when planting it leads the throw, instead of transferring weight into the throw.

Reachback help:

I see you're using the bonopane grip, as I've found out, it does help with nose down issues, and gets you a bit of extra spin, but ultimately get back to the power grip, learn it right, etc, and long term...you will throw farther.

^ That and your grip/swing plane are all out of alignment and swinging before your weight actually shifts forward. Need to get your shoulder lower coming through by tilting your chest forward.

I see you're using the bonopane grip, as I've found out, it does help with nose down issues, and gets you a bit of extra spin, but ultimately get back to the power grip, learn it right, etc, and long term...you will throw farther.

You are correct. I have small hands and struggle getting my fingers around the rim on anything with a fairway driver thickness without the disc pointed at a 45 degree skyward with my arm extended. All the throws stall out (nose up). I'd like to get to a regular power grip, but haven't figured it out yet.

^ That and your grip/swing plane are all out of alignment and swinging before your weight actually shifts forward. Need to get your shoulder lower coming through by tilting your chest forward.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try and put them use.