• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flashing Removal - Legal or Not?

Dogma1

Double Eagle Member
PDGA said:
802.01 Discs Used in Play
C. Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics. This rule does not forbid inevitable wear and tear from usage during play or the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrape marks. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F
Apothecary said:
this notion really interests me. it seems to me that the clutch point is whether or not the flash is considered (by the manufacturer) a mistake or not. if it is, its ok to remove it and make the disc fly "as intended".

if its NOT a mistake (and i havent seen anything to suggest that it was a mistake/defect) then its illegal to willfully remove it.

thats just my understanding. if there are people reading this who are more familiar with the rules and how they are enforced, i would love to hear your perspective.

As for the manufacturer's view, just ask them whether they would prefer a manufacturing process that leaves non-design production remnants on their product, or one that does not. I file flashing under "imperfection".

I don't think tire manufacturers would leave those tits all over the sides of their tires if there were an affordable alternative either.

yeah...but outside of the manufacturer explicitly stating that the flashing is a mistake, it seems to me you dont really have an argument for the flash being anything besides intended.

Ummm...I followed the goose chase, but found nothing useful. Link?

Spike said:
Svante and Thomas, do you have any plans on getting a de-flashing machine in a near future?
Latitude 64 said:

Edit: and this:

Mark Ellis said:
For anyone with strong fingers a golf towel will take care of flashing as well as most nicks and gouges.
Flashing issues, btw, are rare for Discraft discs. They have flash trimming machines.

does that mean the flash was a mistake? i didnt read it that way. just one more thing that can be improved upon.

My grandfather owned a small injection-molding factory until he retired a few years back. I can tell you with absolute certainty that flashing is a defect. If you took a minute to google it, you would find all sorts of articles about reducing flash during the process.

Apothecary said:
does that mean the flash was a mistake? i didnt read it that way. just one more thing that can be improved upon.

So they're intentionally putting flashing on it...and then intentionally removing it?

MDP said:
Apothecary said:

So they're intentionally putting flashing on it...and then intentionally removing it?

do you have some evidence to suggest the contrary? all ive seen is them saying theyre not going to have flash...IN THE FUTURE. nothing indicative of the discs that have been made with flash being a mistake.

Apothecary said:
MDP said:
Apothecary said:

do you have some evidence to suggest the contrary? all ive seen is them saying theyre not going to have flash...IN THE FUTURE. nothing indicative of the discs that have been made with flash being a mistake.
It seems unreasonable to do so.

Discraft (via Mark Ellis) seems to be taking it off now. Obviously it's going to cost some amount of money to take the flashing off so if companies are intentionally putting it on, only to remove it, is not only more time consuming, it makes less sense from a business perspective.

Lat 64 didn't say, in the future with different discs we're going to use a deflashing machine. If it's there intent to use a deflashing machine on the current discs they produce, flashing then looks like an unintended result of the production process. Now, they didn't explicitly say that, but that's what the context would lead me to believe.

What evidence do you have that it's intended? In most cases the burden of proof is on the positive claim; in this case "flashing is intended by the manufacturer."

MDP said:
Apothecary said:
MDP said:
Apothecary said:

It seems unreasonable to do so.

Discraft (via Mark Ellis) seems to be taking it off now. Obviously it's going to cost some amount of money to take the flashing off so if companies are intentionally putting it on, only to remove it, is not only more time consuming, it makes less sense from a business perspective.

Lat 64 didn't say, in the future with different discs we're going to use a deflashing machine. If it's there intent to use a deflashing machine on the current discs they produce, flashing then looks like an unintended result of the production process. Now, they didn't explicitly say that, but that's what the context would lead me to believe.

What evidence do you have that it's intended? In most cases the burden of proof is on the positive claim; in this case "flashing is intended by the manufacturer."

the proof is that its there. if it wasnt intended to be there, it would be gone before it makes it to the consumers hands. if the manufacturer wanted it gone, they would have employed people to remove it (unless explicitly stating so).

flashing has been removed by innova, gateway, discraft, latitude, etc etc

sometimes they are too bogged down or shitty in their production quality to remove the flashing. but they've all removed it at one point or another. it's a molding artifact that's not intended as part of the design. less fragile structures (beads & notches) are designed features. flash is not a design feature.

Leopard said:
flashing has been removed by innova, gateway, discraft, latitude, etc etc

sometimes they are too bogged down or shitty in their production quality to remove the flashing. but they've all removed it at one point or another. it's a molding artifact that's not intended as part of the design. less fragile structures (beads & notches) are designed features. flash is not a design feature.

ok...please provide evidence of this statement of fact, from the manufacturers perspective.

Again, I have to agree. Btw Apoth, I've been known to argue for the sake of argument. My mother always says that I missed my calling and should have been an attorney. :lol: :lol: :lol: I'd love to have you dye a disc or two for me btw.

I found a 9.5/10 Star Boss that has the most insane flashing I've ever seen on any disc. I think I could measure it with a ruler.